• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Today in 1977

Muteswan

Roger Freestone
Reaction score
This wonderful album was released
Animals by Pink Floyd

'Animals' is my favourite Floyd album. Wasn't always but over the last 10-12 years since I changed the way I listen to music, each track has grown on me a lot. It's quite a dark album but I've always liked a bit of darkness in my music. Thanks for posting J.

More Prog Rock myself , never got Floyd apart from a cassette tape of Dark side of The Moon .

Them days it was a choice between Sabbath , Free also Wisbbone Ash in the mix of best band ever .

Chuck in YES as another long winded group , went on forever with their tracks , gave up .

Bowie , also Marc Bolan turned my listening to other directions , Glam Rock and Slade to boot .

At least in them good old days , I know incoming pelters ready , music was part of your life .

Now it seems somebody can sit in their room , download music backgounds add voicie overs for that particlular bit of noise , now top of the UK Top 40 allegedly .

The Stranglers took the pee out of TOTP broadcasts , faked it , maybe the beginning of the end .

I think of Pink Floyd as prog but there are other views out there obviously.
That’s not saying those other views are wrong, music has a wide and varied opinion seeking listenership and no one is ever right.
Except me, that is. 😉

Last edited:
I'm very into electric blues at the moment, blues rock, Chicago blues, call it what you will. I do a lot of downloading from the Caprice musiic website onto USB/SD for the car.
Just recorded a load of Johnnie Winter tracks and the John Williams Blues Band album '470 Northern Highway Blues'.
Anyone got any suggestions for the same kind of stuff, however obscure? Don't say things like Free, Cream, Led Zep, Wishbone Ash, I've had all those albums for donkey's years.

Have you ever heard of this guy? Young lad from Hereford (believe it or not).
He is a fantastic guitarist of any type of music, gypsy jazz and blues included.
I’ve seen him numerous times and he is touring at the moment doing his Man Of The World tour which , as the name suggests is the music of Peter Green.
I’ll be seeing this show next week, for the second time, at the Swansea Jazz Club. A little far for you to travel on a Wednesday probably 😉 and it’s also sold out, but check him out on the interweb. His tour includes a singer in the band so it’s a proper representation of Peter Green/ Fleetwood Mac.

He is a fantastic guitarist of any type of music, gypsy jazz and blues included.
I’ve seen him numerous times and he is touring at the moment doing his Man Of The World tour which , as the name suggests is the music of Peter Green.
I’ll be seeing this show next week, for the second time, at the Swansea Jazz Club. A little far for you to travel on a Wednesday probably 😉 and it’s also sold out, but check him out on the interweb. His tour includes a singer in the band so it’s a proper representation of Peter Green/ Fleetwood Mac.

Cheers, Mutey!

Good stuff 👍

I think of Pink Floyd as prog but there are other views out there obviously.
That’s not saying those other views are wrong, music has a wide and varied opinion seeking listenership and no one is ever right.
Except me, that is. 😉
I've had the 'what is prog and what isn't?' conversation a few times over the years and I wrote an article for a Prog facebook group a few years ago in which my line was that there is a difference between what was originally broadly called progressive music and what was later termed Prog. From about 1967 onwards, music changed very rapidly and much of what was coming out of it, at least in the UK, was termed 'progressive music' but this was just an all-encompassing term covering artists working in rock, psychedelic, folk, electronic, jazz and even blues, who had started mixing them with each other as well as with elements of classical, baroque, oriental, spiritual and choral music (aided in many cases by the growing availability of new keyboards like the mellotron and synthesiser) to form a range of new possibilities and approaches to composition and performance. Even though it was extremely diverse, it was all conveniently put under the 'progressive music' umbrella as they all had the mindset of pushing the boundaries of modern music in different directions. Out of this melting pot came UK bands like Yes, Genesis and King Crimson who were all working in broadly the same musical area of complex arrangements and virtuoso instrumental abilities and in my opinion, I think it's this combination of compositional approach and musical prowess that eventually acquired the Prog label. Other bands working in a similar vein like ELP, Focus and Gentle Giant would also be 'Prog' for the same reasons. As for Pink Floyd, even though they were most definitely a huge part of late 60s 'progressive music', they don't really share much in common with any of those those bands in terms of musical arrangements and only Gilmour could be considered a virtuoso so they don't really fit that definition of Prog but if someone has a wider definition of Prog, then they would probably fit into it.

Mutey, forgot to ask, what's his name?

Swansea City v Bristol City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back