Tranmere Hit Swans With Late Sucker Punch

Tuesday, 11 March 2008, 19:40
3 mins read

It was a cruel blow for the Swans who had looked set to record a win and maintain their 8 point cushion at the top of the table but as Chris Greenacre slid in at the near post he got just enough on it to push it past De Vries and give the home side a return of just one point from the two fixtures.  And with three successive away games to follow it could be a nervy two week period for the Swans as their lead is gradually eaten away by both Doncaster and Carlisle.

It does appear that the race for the two automatic promotion places will come down to a straight fight between the three teams that currently occupy the top three places and with the Swans in the driving seat at the moment things are very much under our control but any more of a closure in the gap that we have and you would easily forgive people for starting to become more than a bit twitchy as they crave a return to the Championship level.

Even a rare Alan Tate goal – and a very good goal at that – wasn't enough as the Swans wasted the chances to kill the game off during the first half when the opportunities were there – Scotland was denied twice in the first fifteen minutes by the Tranmere goalkeeper alone.

There was always an air of inevitability that there would be a bad patch at some stage this season, the real test of character is how a team deals with that and maybe the three away games are a blessing – five months unbeaten on the road may inspire the confidence that we need at the moment and anything of five points or more from the three games would be an excellent return and a big step towards the desired target.

The Swans welcomed back Dennis Lawrence into the heart of defence with Kris O'Leary dropping not just from the starting line-up but from the matchday squad altogether as the Swans lined up thus


Rangel     Tate     Lawrence     Austin

Britton     Bodde     Pratley

Butler     Scotland     Robinson

To be fair the Swans played some nice stuff in the first half with plenty of possession as they looked to try and break down what seemed to be a well organised Tranmere side.  Some neat touches – particularly down the right – were never really rewarded with the final ball into the box that I expect everyone would have preferred to see.  As mentioned before Scotland had two shots well saved by their keeper but too much of the ball was being played in the middle third of the park where Mr Singh failed to cut down on a couple of Tranmere niggly fouls in the first half.

And it seemed destined to be another goalless first half until an Andy Robinson corner found its way half clear to Alan Tate who struck a sweet shot into the top corner of the net to give the Swans the lead that on balance of play they probably just deserved.

Would that be enough to release the pressure?  It seemed not.   In a throwback to 'olden times' we seemed to sit back more in the second half and became more content to let Tranmere run at us which they did in small bursts but when it happened they always looked dangerous.   There were moments where it seemed that the second goal may come but the team started to look tired for periods and that gave the visitors the lift that they probably needed.

Possession was conceded cheaply and whilst there were moments where a goal looked possible there was all too often a poor first touch, a misplaced pass or a hoof of the ball just to relieve the pressure for a second although in fairness that makes it sound as if the pressure was constant – it wasn't that but it was increasing in frequency.

Bauza was stripped and ready for action ten minutes before he was given his chance in place of Scotland whilst with less than ten minutes left Brandy replaced Robinson as we returned to a 4-4-2 formation to try and defend the lead we had built.  Brandy almost created a chance within second of arriving but it was to no avail as the clock ticked with the Swans holding onto their slender advantage.

The fourth official had barely signalled the 3 minutes of stoppage time when a hopeful ball was chased down the right flank by the Tranmere player and his low cross was turned into the net by Greenacre and the Swans had blown it right at the death.

Another disappointing night at the Liberty – the optimists will tell you we still have a six point gap, the pessimists will tell you that we only have a six point gap.  The realists will tell you that we have given up eight points of a fourteen point gap in the past seven days and that is a trend that we have to buck sooner rather than later.   We can, we are good enough and we have to believe in that factor.   And we can start doing that at Northampton on Saturday.  Can't we?

Images courtesy of Getty Images, Athena Picture Agency and Swansea City Football Club.

League Table

Next Up

Forum Latest

Threads: 16,849

Messages: 247,874

Members: 4,661

Latest member: Magicpads01

Latest from Blog

Swans set to move for Burnley keeper?

It is one of the worst kept secrets of the summer that the Swans are in the market for a new goalkeeper.  With Carl Rushworth now back at Brighton and Andy Fisher seemingly already told he will not hold the first choice position next season the question has long since…

Swans TV: Swansea City v Bristol Rovers | Highlights | Men’s

. . .Watch the best of the action with our short highlights package as Swansea City face Bristol Rovers at Fairwood. For more information, as well as all the latest Swansea City AFC news, log onto the club's official website at Subscribe on YouTube: Like us on Facebook:…

Swans TV: Luke Williams on Bristol Rovers | Reaction | Men’s

. . .Luke Williams talks to SwansTV following his side's behind closed doors pre-season game against Bristol Rovers at the Fairwood Training Ground. For more information, as well as all the latest Swansea City AFC news, log onto the club's official website at Subscribe on YouTube: Like us…

Swans TV: Swansea City U9’s v First Team | Men’s

. . .Swansea City's Under-nines were recently given an unforgettable experience as they had the opportunity to go head-to-head with the first team at Fairwood. The newest recruits and their families were welcomed to the first-team facility by academy manager Gavin Levey before going to watch the first team continue…