• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Did You Ever Tumb A lift ..

Swanjaxs

Roger Freestone
Reaction score
Back in the day?

I did once, walking from the Greyhound back to Llangennith when I was about 17 on my own, was just past Burry Green when a VW Beatle pulled up, two girls (older than me) dropped me off at the Kings, I'm sure I could have shagged them both! Or where they just trying to give a spotty lad a lift 🤔
So, who's thumbed lads back in the day

‘So, who's thumbed lads back in the day’ ?
That’s a bit personal innit ? 😁

When I was in Uni in the very early 70s and for a couple of years after that, I hitched lifts quite a bit if they were long journeys as I could only afford short ones. I was in Uni in Guildford and my folks lived in Llandudno and that was a long, long journey which sometimes took over 15 hours. The motorway system was nothing like it is today. There was no M25 at all so getting to the M1 from Guildford was very difficult so I occasionally took a train into London, a tube to Hendon and a bus to J2 of the M1 and started from there! There was no M6 between the M5 and M1 either so that section was tricky too as I had to use the A5 as that was the main E-W route through the Midlands in those days. The M4 between Maidenhead J8 and Swindon J15 didn't open until Dec '71 so that wasn't much help as an alternative. Some strange days indeed but as long as it wasn't raining or snowing, boredom was the worst part - no mobile phones or even personal cassette players in those days.

I remember giving a lift to a hitchhiker once, about 50 years ago. I was driving home along the original Briton Ferry bridge and a lorry driver flagged me down and asked if I was going into Swansea. I was and he asked if I could take this young girl, that he had given a lift from London, the last leg into Swansea. It was fine with me as I was going there anyway. Other than that I had given a lift to quite a few other hitchhikers until there were instances of some serious problems going on with drivers “taking advantage” of young girls. I wouldn’t do it these days.

When I was a student used to hitchhike back and fire to Swansea, holding a Swansea sign at Chiswick used to work a treat.
A couple of good holidays hitchhiking in France and Spain including a lift from a guy who seemed to be smuggling cheap booze into France from Andorra.

When I was a student in the summer of 1975, I took trains and hitchhiked all the way from Port Talbot to St Tropez and back to see my girlfriend who was working there as an au pair for a french family.
It was the first time I had travelled on my own abroad. I was dressed like a typical student scruff with long hair and carrying a world war 2 canvass backpack borrowed from an uncle. Bloody amazing that I got any lifts, but I certainly did, specially the last 50 miles where no buses and trains were on offer.
Slept a couple of nights on the beach, proposed to my girlfriend, then came home. Us Baglan boys are such romantics.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back