• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Swansea Jack.

Muteswan

Roger Freestone
Reaction score
Swansea Jack.

Swansea Jack was a black retriever from the North Dock area of Swansea, who regularly responded to cries of help from anyone in difficulty in the water of the docks and riverbanks of the city, bringing them in the safety of the dockside.

It is documented that his first rescue was in June 1931 when he saved the life of a young boy and a few weeks later, in front of a crowd of people Swansea Jack rescued the life of a swimmer from the docks. Over his lifetime he then went on to save the lives of 27 people and in 2000, he was named ‘Dog of the Century’.

Swansea Jack died on 2nd October 1937 after eating rat poison and his burial is now situated on the Swansea to Mumbles promenade by St. Helens Rugby ground paid for by public funds.

From The History of Wales on Facebook.

Muteswan said:
Swansea Jack.

Swansea Jack was a black retriever from the North Dock area of Swansea, who regularly responded to cries of help from anyone in difficulty in the water of the docks and riverbanks of the city, bringing them in the safety of the dockside.

It is documented that his first rescue was in June 1931 when he saved the life of a young boy and a few weeks later, in front of a crowd of people Swansea Jack rescued the life of a swimmer from the docks. Over his lifetime he then went on to save the lives of 27 people and in 2000, he was named ‘Dog of the Century’.

Swansea Jack died on 2nd October 1937 after eating rat poison and his burial is now situated on the Swansea to Mumbles promenade by St. Helens Rugby ground paid for by public funds.

Was he a retriever or a Newfoundland?

airedale said:
Muteswan said:
Swansea Jack.

Was he a retriever or a Newfoundland?
Someone asked this in the comments. I’m not sure. 🤔

I hate to be that guy, but apparently he mistook people splashing about in the water as drowning and went in to 'save' them when they didn't need saving at all

Think about it - an awful amount of people must've been drowning back then for a dog to chance upon 27 of them in his life time

Anyway, here's a video I made many years ago

https://youtu.be/SZ__mh2W5A4

A jack mate of mine has got the Swansea Jack sign from the pub when it closed.

BLAZE said:
I hate to be that guy, but apparently he mistook people splashing about in the water as drowning and went in to 'save' them when they didn't need saving at all

Think about it - an awful amount of people must've been drowning back then for a dog to chance upon 27 of them in his life time

Anyway, here's a video I made many years ago

https://youtu.be/SZ__mh2W5A4

I loves that song 👍👌

That dog saw a different Swansea to what we know now.
Firstly Swansea was a town not a city, Hitler was yet to make a visit, the Swans were still finding their way, Glamorgan as well, the All Whites had stuffed the All Blacks and were world renowned just like a certain drunk poet which neatly leads to oldjack who was thinking of taking out a funeral plan and had probably slashed against more lamposts than that heroic dog ever did!!!!

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back