Swansea 1 Scunthorpe 1

Saturday, 12 April 2003, 0:00
2 mins read

Home > Story Index >Swansea 1 Scunthorpe 1

Beforehand if you had asked me I would probably have settled for a draw but after the 90 minutes, it was disappointing to see that after playing so well for an hour we decided that the time was to sit back, and as so often happens when you do that, we conceded an equaliser and ended up hanging on for the point.
It always amazes me why sides do this. It was something that John Hollins was an expert in getting us to do and for 30 minutes we struggled against a side without making changes. Corner after corner was forced by the Scunny attack and with all eleven of our men in our penalty area it was no surprise that when we did clear it the ball came straight back.
The Swans has taken the lead when Marc Richards turned and shot into the top corner of the net after Lenny Johnrose had seen his header cleared of the line. Richards’ finishing is impressing me inside the eighteen yard box although he did allow the ball to get tangled in his feet later in the half when clean through on goal.
We were the better side through the first half with the ball being played around nicely and Scunthorpe restricted to few attacks. One of those attacks though should have resulted in them being awarded a penalty when Howard handled the ball but thankfully for us the referee and his assistant missed the incident.
At half time talk seemed to be of a win and at the start of the second half it was difficult to see any other result. Efforts from Watkin and Johnrose tested the Scunny keeper and with Martinez seemingly in control of the midfield, this was surely to be Swansea’s day.
But as the game passed the hour mark, it changed. Scunthorpe were allowed back into the game, and as seems the norm, people got on the usual suspects backs. Carruthers equalised with 15 minutes to go with the Swansea defence ripped apart and Watkin was taken off for Durkan to come on. The shake of the head from Watkin seemed to suggest that maybe he was in agreement with me in that this was one of his better performances whilst the completely ineffective Maylett was left on the pitch.
Two sharp efforts sailed past the upright in the last ten minutes and when the final whistle showed it was Brian Laws who was rueing what might have been whilst Flynn must have been happy with a point.
Results elsewhere went our way but this should have been a win and if we had played for the full 90 minutes then I am sure it would have been. Four games to go and we probably need 4/5 points for safety now, we should get them but we have to be prepared to resort to plan B when plan A isn’t working.

Click Here For Teams

You can comment on this article by visiting the Message Board or you can contact the author directly by clicking

Would you like to submit your story or become a regular columnist on JackArmy.net? If so, contact us here

JackArmy.net Links: This Season / Roger’s Testimonial Details / The Jack Pack Message Board / Division Three Table / Fixtures and Results / Submit Your Stuff / Play Don’t Know Jack / Photo Gallery / Jack Plug Fanzine / The Supporter’s Trust / SMS News / Ringtones / Travelling Away? / Poll Results / Contact Us / Site Stats / People In Gloucs Houses / Crocker Shit / Phil Yer In / Dave’s Raves / MB Awards / Poster Pictures

Thankyou for visiting www.jackarmy.net – Rivals Site Of The Month October 2001

Images courtesy of Getty Images, Athena Picture Agency and Swansea City Football Club.

League Table

Next Up

Forum Latest

Threads: 16,269

Messages: 241,236

Members: 3,905

Latest member: mikaylac52

Latest from Blog