• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Aberfan

Pacemaker

Alan Waddle
Reaction score
56 years ago today, i was only 5 at the time so have no memories of it happening , but it is something I have grown up with having been brought up in a mining community.

Hopefully a minutes silence on Sunday which I am sure will be respected by both sets of supporters.

It's one of those "Where were you when Kennedy was shot?" moments, isn't it?
I was an 11 year old schoolboy in my first term at Brigend Boys' Grammar, and I remember waiting for the morning bus at a Porthcawl bus stop. The adults in the queue had shocked, worried faces and were talking in subdued tones. We knew something terrible had happened.

It was before my time but I always have chills thinking about it and anger at how blatantly avoidable the whole thing was.

Love or hate her, one of the things I always respected about the queen was how she made a point of visiting Aberfan before the PM did and you could see she genuinely cared about the people affected. I believe she made a number of visits to Aberfan since.

EDIT:

Rereading, Prince Phillip visited the day after and the Queen visited on 29th.
The PM Harold Wilson arrived that very evening and told the secretary of state for Wales to take whatever action was needed "irrespective of any consideration for procedure, expenditure or statutory limitations"

bakajack said:
It was before my time but I always have chills thinking about it and anger at how blatantly avoidable the whole thing was.

Love or hate her, one of the things I always respected about the queen was how she made a point of visiting Aberfan before the PM did and you could see she genuinely cared about the people affected. I believe she made a number of visits to Aberfan since.

The Queen was late going to Aberfan well after her husband and called it the biggest regret of her reign.

I was 14 so remember it clearly and I referred to it in my speech at my Mother's funeral in January as it affected her so badly for a very long time. I said it was the only time I ever saw both of my parents crying and that most of Wales probably was too. On the flight back home, my son told me that he had known nothing about it until that day but had Googled it and read quite a lot about it and now understood why I was almost in tears myself during my speech and had to stop to compose myself.

bakajack said:

EDIT:

Rereading, Prince Phillip visited the day after and the Queen visited on 29th.
The PM Harold Wilson arrived that very evening and told the secretary of state for Wales to take whatever action was needed "irrespective of any consideration for procedure, expenditure or statutory limitations"

Turned out to be a completely token gesture didn't it? The families and locals were absolutely shat upon by the establishment

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back