• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Amateur photographers

MrSwerve

Alan Curtis
Reaction score
Good cameras, lenses, advice, etc, etc.?

Much appreciated.

MrSwerve said:

Much appreciated.

Dr W'Ob is more knowledgable than me but it depends what you want to really do (other than the obvious take pictures)

Personally I prefer Canon equipment - if its basic photography you want then the standard 18-55m lens will generally do, Tamron lens (with canon fittings) are good for zoom lens (and generally in a decent enough budget)

Don't be afraid of second hand equipment so long as you can find a reputable seller (couple of good FB groups out there)

Join a group on FB as well called South Wales Photography - its run by Phil Crocker (who used to post on here) who is a superb photographer but there's around 4k people on there - all of them have great advice and a wide range of knowledge

And you get to see load of photos brilliantly taken too!

PSumbler said:
MrSwerve said:

Much appreciated.

Dr W'Ob is more knowledgable than me but it depends what you want to really do (other than the obvious take pictures)

Personally I prefer Canon equipment - if its basic photography you want then the standard 18-55m lens will generally do, Tamron lens (with canon fittings) are good for zoom lens (and generally in a decent enough budget)

Don't be afraid of second hand equipment so long as you can find a reputable seller (couple of good FB groups out there)

Join a group on FB as well called South Wales Photography - its run by Phil Crocker (who used to post on here) who is a superb photographer but there's around 4k people on there - all of them have great advice and a wide range of knowledge

Cool, cheers Phil. Will take a look at that Facebook group!

PSumbler said:

Echo everything Phil says here. I started out with Sony but switched to Canon due to the better supply of second hand or other brand kit.

Best advice I can give you is to get away from the automatic settings as quickly as possible. Once you get the hang of the extra creative possibilities that having control over exposure/aperture/ISO gives you the quality your pictures will take a big leap forward. Take multiple shots of the same thing with different settings and see what effect you like best. Ultimately the most important person to please is yourself.

Invest in a big memory card and always shoot in Raw. It'll give you far more options when it comes to editing your shots. And don't be afraid of editing either. Nobody does everything in camera any more and Lightroom is as much of a photography tool as your lenses and camera.

Apart from that just enjoy yourself. It's a great way to get out and about and see things.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back