• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Bristol City call for salary cap… After posting £38.4m loss

A4Jack

Staff member
Reaction score
Football clubs have for a long time lived beyond their means and there’s no better example than some of those in the Championship with Derby County and Reading both suffering points deductions this season due to financial mismanagement. There is thought to be more sailing perilously close to the wind...

Read more

A4Jack said:
Football clubs have for a long time lived beyond their means and there’s no better example than some of those in the Championship with Derby County and Reading both suffering points deductions this season due to financial mismanagement. There is thought to be more sailing perilously close to the wind...

Read more

Why doesn't he just impose his own cap and allow the club to operate within its means in whatever division that entails? I do agree though. Some regulation around these communities assets to stop the speculative overspending is way overdue, and will probably never happen until 10 or so do go pop. Let's hope we are not one now that we have no supporter trust protection and no rainy day fund.

monmouth said:
A4Jack said:

Read more

Why doesn't he just impose his own cap and allow the club to operate within its means in whatever division that entails? I do agree though. Some regulation around these communities assets to stop the speculative overspending is way overdue, and will probably never happen until 10 or so do go pop. Let's hope we are not one now that we have no supporter trust protection and no rainy day fund.

Even then, would the owners vote for it? Have to remember what the EFL is, it's an organisation run by its members, the clubs. The clubs will act in accordance with the owners wishes, and generally they're the ones funding this madness currently, in the hope of gaining the riches of promotion. From my own experiences in FSA calls, I'm not even convinced the fans groups at some Championship clubs want it.

IMO at least, the only way this will ever be imposed in the Championship is through regulation.

Uxy said:
monmouth said:

Even then, would the owners vote for it? Have to remember what the EFL is, it's an organisation run by its members, the clubs. The clubs will act in accordance with the owners wishes, and generally they're the ones funding this madness currently, in the hope of gaining the riches of promotion. From my own experiences in FSA calls, I'm not even convinced the fans groups at some Championship clubs want it.

IMO at least, the only way this will ever be imposed in the Championship is through regulation.

Aye, fans couldn't care less in terms of 'splashing the cash', 'speculate to accumulate' and other such demented shit. It really needs some grown ups in government to recognise that these are long standing community assets built over a hundred years and not investment vehicles, money laundering outlets, playthings for wastrels and publicity driven morons etc. So it's never going to happen is it? It's been needed forever too, as we well know. I suppose nobody can stop any business going bust. it's just the excesses from people with no links to the clubs and no care for them that gets my goat. At least Derby can say one of their own fans did them in I suppose.

Personally, unless FIFA and UEFA step in and impose wage caps in a system like the American armoured rugby or hockey leagues, many high ranking clubs around the World will suffer. See Spain and their clubs
If there's no lower leagues, then there is no where for players to evolve and get better.
National teams suffer (poorer World cup, euros etc)
I do think the German model is probably the best as a way forward for all clubs.
Not forgetting at one time, we were held up in Parliament as a way all clubs should aspire to when we were trying to get towards the German model ourselves.

Trouble is, the top end of football regulation is so corrupt, the idea of them evening out the competitions (Champions League?) so as every team has a chance, is well beyond their thinking.

Yet it seems to have worked reasonably well in the good Ol' US of A

https://theconversation.com/nfl-and-nhl-salary-caps-have-worked-out-well-for-players-165739

monmouth said:
Uxy said:

Aye, fans couldn't care less in terms of 'splashing the cash', 'speculate to accumulate' and other such demented s**t. It really needs some grown ups in government to recognise that these are long standing community assets built over a hundred years and not investment vehicles, money laundering outlets, playthings for wastrels and publicity driven morons etc. So it's never going to happen is it? It's been needed forever too, as we well know. I suppose nobody can stop any business going bust. it's just the excesses from people with no links to the clubs and no care for them that gets my goat. At least Derby can say one of their own fans did them in I suppose.

The Derby chap was the FSA Championship rep last year. He was a big fan of Mel Morris. Until he wasn't.

The community asset thing is what is key for me. Absolutely no appreciation or consideration for that.

monmouth said:

Owners of clubs want salary caps because it means they can spend less money on wages without being out-competed for the quality of player they already get. It's an anti-worker measure, removing players ability to negotiate for what they might be worth to their employer. That's why the Euro Super League idea had a salary cap as one of its central ideas. Barcelona want to stay on top but want to spend less money to do it, so limiting what the top performers can ask for is a very attractive idea since they're already one of the big brands.

Nothing is stopping clubs from exercising better financial control already, they just want to have their cake and eat it too. Being good at running a football club is too difficult.

HectorSettles said:
It's great to see a club like Bristol City taking the initiative and calling for a salary cap to help level the playing field in the Championship. It's become increasingly difficult for smaller clubs to compete with the larger clubs that have deeper pockets.

FAO BLAZE..

Is this one of those AI bot things you were on about t'other day?

monmouth said:
Aye, fans couldn't care less in terms of 'splashing the cash', 'speculate to accumulate' and other such demented s**t. It really needs some grown ups in government to recognise that these are long standing community assets built over a hundred years and not investment vehicles, money laundering outlets, playthings for wastrels and publicity driven morons etc. So it's never going to happen is it? It's been needed forever too, as we well know. I suppose nobody can stop any business going bust. it's just the excesses from people with no links to the clubs and no care for them that gets my goat. At least Derby can say one of their own fans did them in I suppose.

Aye, you've only got to read this board to see that.

I'd rather see us (again) in leagues 1 or 2 than "go for it , we're only 3 points off the play offs" mentality. Given a different manager mind, and I may have been saying the same :lol:

Neath_Jack said:
Aye, you've only got to read this board to see that.

I'd rather see us (again) in leagues 1 or 2 than "go for it , we're only 3 points off the play offs" mentality. Given a different manager mind, and I may have been saying the same :lol:

Don't worry league 1 is coming

monmouth said:
This. In spades.

It’s gone belly up for him spending beyond their means, now he wants a “level playing field”

Worry about your own club Steve.

Edit - didn’t realise this was an ancient thread.

jasper_T said:
Owners of clubs want salary caps because it means they can spend less money on wages without being out-competed for the quality of player they already get. It's an anti-worker measure, removing players ability to negotiate for what they might be worth to their employer. That's why the Euro Super League idea had a salary cap as one of its central ideas. Barcelona want to stay on top but want to spend less money to do it, so limiting what the top performers can ask for is a very attractive idea since they're already one of the big brands.

Nothing is stopping clubs from exercising better financial control already, they just want to have their cake and eat it too. Being good at running a football club is too difficult.

Absolutely agree with your second paragraph.

Not sure about a salary cap being an anti-worker measure though. It's commonplace in the States and wages keep going up and up in those sports.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back