• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Car leasing

waynekerr55

Alan Waddle
Reaction score
Any recommendations for companies to use.

If I'm not mistaken a 6 month lead time is to be expected? I'd only need circa 8k miles per year as we have the family car (this one is for my work and I use trains quite regularly)

I have seen servicing and tyres for around 17 quid a month (which seems reasonable given a service from a reliable garage here is IRO 300 quid)

I've seen Kia Ceed and Seat Ateca's at around the 270 per month, which seems fine

waynekerr55 said:

If I'm not mistaken a 6 month lead time is to be expected? I'd only need circa 8k miles per year as we have the family car (this one is for my work and I use trains quite regularly)

I have seen servicing and tyres for around 17 quid a month (which seems reasonable given a service from a reliable garage here is IRO 300 quid)

I've seen Kia Ceed and Seat Ateca's at around the 270 per month, which seems fine

I’m on my 5th car from Nationwide Vehicle Contracts. Excellent customer service, easily reachable on phone, clear policies regarding wear and tear. Have never bothered with a fully serviced option.

Cooperman said:
I’m on my 5th car from Nationwide Vehicle Contracts. Excellent customer service, easily reachable on phone, clear policies regarding wear and tear. Have never bothered with a fully serviced option.

I haven't found NVC great to be honest. Nothing disastrous, but they just pass me on to the provider Leaseplan for everything, so they've been a bit pointless. I do have the maintenance option as I wanted a 4 year lease and didn't fancy the out of warranty risk. We've had one set of tyres and two punctures plus the four services. It doesn't quite cover the cost of the maintenance but it's pretty close and I like the 4th year peace of mind. Given the cost of leases now, I'm inclined to try and extend if I can as I got a sweet deal at the time.

If I was leasing again I'd just go on Cars2Buy or Leaseloco and go for the cheapest company. On leasing, I have liked not thinking it's my car, but we like the car so much (Pug 30008) I wish I'd just bought it. As a second car it'd keep for 5 years on top of the 4 year lease and be top VFM then.

Kia's have 7 year warranties don't they Wayne? I maybe wouldn't bother with the maintenance then unless it clearly washes its face. You can also get cheap Kia service packages (or could when we had one). Also if you want a car for longer than 4 years and won't want to change, financing it through a loan might work out a fair bit cheaper over its lifecycle?

waynekerr55 said:

At the moment we have two KIAs, not leased but would recommend Kia as a brand and the dealer in Kidwelly has been great.
The last time I leased a car I got some prices from the internet and approached the main dealership and ,to my surprise, they matched the deal available.

Muteswan said:
At the moment we have two KIAs, not leased but would recommend Kia as a brand and the dealer in Kidwelly has been great.
The last time I leased a car I got some prices from the internet and approached the main dealership and ,to my surprise, they matched the deal available.

Oh that's a good point Mutey. The Peugeot dealer offered as good a deal, but just couldn't supply the car quickly enough (the lease company already had one in stock), otherwise I'd have gone with them. I'd forgotten.

Gravells in Kidwelly have an excellent reputation.

monmouth said:
I haven't found NVC great to be honest. Nothing disastrous, but they just pass me on to the provider Leaseplan for everything, so they've been a bit pointless. I do have the maintenance option as I wanted a 4 year lease and didn't fancy the out of warranty risk. We've had one set of tyres and two punctures plus the four services. It doesn't quite cover the cost of the maintenance but it's pretty close and I like the 4th year peace of mind. Given the cost of leases now, I'm inclined to try and extend if I can as I got a sweet deal at the time.

If I was leasing again I'd just go on Cars2Buy or Leaseloco and go for the cheapest company. On leasing, I have liked not thinking it's my car, but we like the car so much (Pug 30008) I wish I'd just bought it. As a second car it'd keep for 5 years on top of the 4 year lease and be top VFM then.

Kia's have 7 year warranties don't they Wayne? I maybe wouldn't bother with the maintenance then unless it clearly washes its face. You can also get cheap Kia service packages (or could when we had one). Also if you want a car for longer than 4 years and won't want to change, financing it through a loan might work out a fair bit cheaper over its lifecycle?

NVC are really only the broker, similar to you I would have to deal with Lex Leasing for some matters. For example, I lost a key and had to obtain confirmation of contract from Lex (rather than NVC) before the dealer would provide me with a new key.

I will also likely go for a fourth year option. A replacement vehicle now is double what I signed up for at start of 2021, however a fourth year gives me £100 a month reduction on current lease cost. A no-brainer to be honest.

Cooperman said:
NVC are really only the broker, similar to you I would have to deal with Lex Leasing for some matters. For example, I lost a key and had to obtain confirmation of contract from Lex (rather than NVC) before the dealer would provide me with a new key.

I will also likely go for a fourth year option. A replacement vehicle now is double what I signed up for at start of 2021, however a fourth year gives me £100 a month reduction on current lease cost. A no-brainer to be honest.

Apparently they can't give me an extension quote until three months before, but I expected them to try and increase the cost. Like you, I priced up a like for like replacement and it's £200 per month 😱😱 more expensive, without the maintenance option. Even paying the same I'd go for an extension. If it's cheaper...yay...wine...

Three months before is cutting it fine if I do need to replace somehow though. That's a bit of a silly procedural anomaly now. It was fine when you could source cars quickly.

monmouth said:
Apparently they can't give me an extension quote until three months before, but I expected them to try and increase the cost. Like you, I priced up a like for like replacement and it's £200 per month 😱😱 more expensive, without the maintenance option. Even paying the same I'd go for an extension. If it's cheaper...yay...wine...

Three months before is cutting it fine if I do need to replace somehow though. That's a bit of a silly procedural anomaly now. It was fine when you could source cars quickly.

I had my current vehicle via one of their 'hot deals'. Imagine my surprise at finding a match on spec and colour for something already sat in a field! This goes some way to explain why a like for like replacement is double; no hot deal/car in field + inflation, results in silly prices being quoted.

That block on extension quote is unlikely to be a NVC issue, more to do with the leasing company itself. Lex Leasing are happy to negotiate new terms at any point in the contract, but this might not be the same across all companies.

Cooperman said:
I had my current vehicle via one of their 'hot deals'. Imagine my surprise at finding a match on spec and colour for something already sat in a field! This goes some way to explain why a like for like replacement is double; no hot deal/car in field + inflation, results in silly prices being quoted.

That block on extension quote is unlikely to be a NVC issue, more to do with the leasing company itself. Lex Leasing are happy to negotiate new terms at any point in the contract, but this might not be the same across all companies.
Should 'double' be 'doable' /'do able'?.

I can't get my head around leasing a car, admittedly I'm not a 'numbers' man. But paying out for three or four years for something, which will never be yours seems absolutely bonkers to me. I'd rather go and spend that money on a decent second hand car.

On the Kia thing, they are one of the manufacturers that we use for company cars. I've never had one as i take the allowance instead but i have driven them all on many occasions and i will say they are packed with all the whistles and bells, and are decent enough to drive.

Neath_Jack said:
I can't get my head around leasing a car, admittedly I'm not a 'numbers' man. But paying out for three or four years for something, which will never be yours seems absolutely bonkers to me. I'd rather go and spend that money on a decent second hand car.

On the Kia thing, they are one of the manufacturers that we use for company cars. I've never had one as i take the allowance instead but i have driven them all on many occasions and i will say they are packed with all the whistles and bells, and are decent enough to drive.

It all comes down to the combo of motoring preferences and financial outlook. Like you I came out of a car scheme and put the allowance straight back into a personal lease; did this for two reasons namely fixing the tax burden and the limited choice of car available within the company scheme.

I do at least 20k a year so I won't get many years out of a second car which already has for arguments sake 40k on the clock. When circumstances change and I hang up my laptop bag for the last time, I shall bin the car lease and go down a different route.

Also a shout out for Kia and their tech. Superb value for money.

Thanks all.

Much like Cooperman I'm in a car allowance scheme. I've got a 17 plate 1 series (managed to hydro lock the engine on my 66 plate one a few weeks ago, a week after having the dual mass flywheel and clutch changed) but our car policy in work will be strictly enforced come May 25, hence the lease as I get it as part of a cash allowance.

And it's far more tax efficient than a company car!

LeaseLoco is a price comparison type site for leasing, it give a good idea of deals out there is you are flexible on type of car you want they have their hot deals which can give very good deals.

https://www.leaseloco.com/

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back