• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Curt – promotion would be the club’s greatest achievement

swansnews

Administrator
Reaction score
Alan Curtis knows a thing or two about promotion to the top flight.   He was part of the playing side that managed it back in 1981 and the backroom team when we repeated the feat 30 years later in 2011. Ten years on from that magical day at Wembley, the Swans will go for promotion […]

Read more

Like I have said many times, if Cooper gets that squad up, he is manager of the Century. In fact manager of all centuries.

I'm not disputing for a second that promotion on Saturday would be an amazing achievement for Steve Cooper, the players and the club as a whole, I'm not sure it would be the 'greatest promotion' to the top tier though?

Call me an old dog, remembering events while wearing 'rose tinted spectacles' if you like. But for me, the rise, from having the indignity of applying for re-election to the league in 1975, (obtaining votes to stay in the league) from the bottom of old 'Division 4,' to, only 6 seasons later, win promotion to Division 1, on that incredible day (May 2nd 1981) at Deepdale. Surely that has to be the club's greatest promotion achievement?

A young, but talented team assembled by Harry Griffiths which included core 'heroes' like Robbie James, Alan Curtis and Jeremy Charles, that was then taken up by Toshack after his arrival on 1st March 1978, even after Harry had died, before the penultimate match of that season, in the Vetch Field dressing room before the match.

To then win promotion into Division 3, then like a runaway juggernaut to Division 2 the following season. A mid-table 'breather' finish in Division 2 in May 1980, was followed before that promotion ending season at Preston North End.

That was a range of promotions that shocked the British football community. To then shock the football world, when we stormed the elite clubs in British football the following season, to be top of Division 1 on St David's Day 1982, 4 years to the day Toshack arrived in the city, when current BBC Wales commentator Ian Walsh, scored the winner away up in Wolves.

What a team, what a journey, it was truly sensational. I am blessed to have witnessed those days. All of us oldsters that were supporting the team at the time, can no doubt recall those incredible and halcyon days.

And of course it's typical of Alan Curtis, who everyone knows, is an extremely humble, fabulous man, who was a major contributory factor to that success story, (and several other momentous events after it) wouldn't ever trumpet that, even though it's such an unrepeatable and unforgettable achievement.

Yes, Steve Coopers achievement with 'no strikers,' is potentially an amazing feat in itself and no mistake. But the Golden Years rise was nothing but miraculous!

Swans original promotion to the top division was a greater achievement than if they do get promoted this time round.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back