• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Howdy Jacks...

Gentrified Canton

Youth Team Apprentice
Reaction score
Well, A flirtation with the play offs for both Clubs, i wasn't expecting that from my corner of South Wales. I've read this board on and off for a while so i thought that i'd add to it. Watched your second leg against Brentford and i thought that you performed pretty well during the second half, although like us at Fulham (second half) you were chasing things so the dynamics sort of change the performance and energy levels.

As for my Club, i've read the 'Hoofball' comments, and they're true, although to a much lesser degree than under Warnock, he just liked to give the ball back to the opposition in the hope that they'd make a mistake in the final third-Believe me, it's much better under Harris!

Thoughts to the new season? Do you see yourselves challenging? I've no idea on my club's ambitions, we seem to be eternally skint so it's probably loans, free transfers and small fees for anyone who can toe the ball 80 yards....What are your thoughts?

I think that he's a Dollar Billionaire, not to be sniffed at of course, and i think that his businesses have taken a hit of late during this Covid thingy-Whatever the case, it seems that the club are always telling us fans that their isn't much money knocking about. Who knows?

Best_loser said:
How can you be skint with a billionaire owner

Theoretically he can under FFP only invest money that the club can generate/ afford, it does seem that having had his fingers burnt by Malky he is being more of an astute businessman ie taking the opportunity to get PL parachute payments without splashing out on too many expensive journeymen.

Pacemaker said:
Best_loser said:

Theoretically he can under FFP only invest money that the club can generate/ afford, it does seem that having had his fingers burnt by Malky he is being more of an astute businessman ie taking the opportunity to get PL parachute payments without splashing out on too many expensive journeymen.

You can take a billionaire to a club

But you can't make him spend

Bristol city too

Gentrified Canton said:
Well, A flirtation with the play offs for both Clubs, i wasn't expecting that from my corner of South Wales. I've read this board on and off for a while so i thought that i'd add to it. Watched your second leg against Brentford and i thought that you performed pretty well during the second half, although like us at Fulham (second half) you were chasing things so the dynamics sort of change the performance and energy levels.

As for my Club, i've read the 'Hoofball' comments, and they're true, although to a much lesser degree than under Warnock, he just liked to give the ball back to the opposition in the hope that they'd make a mistake in the final third-Believe me, it's much better under Harris!

Thoughts to the new season? Do you see yourselves challenging? I've no idea on my club's ambitions, we seem to be eternally skint so it's probably loans, free transfers and small fees for anyone who can toe the ball 80 yards....What are your thoughts?

Despite the style of play the reality is that you could easily have been in the playoff final if you had a centre forward ( instead of Glatzel) you could be going into the final, equally so could we if Ayew had converted his penalty, if Gallagher had finished his chance the outcome could have been very different. However for different reason neither side look prepared for the PL.

I guess if you can hang onto your keeper(s) then you look fairly steady at the back, if a bit slow and ponderous, wingers look ok and if you could get Tomlin fit and a decent striker then Harris could keep you top 6ish. At some point your squad is going to need a complete overhaul as it must be one of the oldest in the division. That could go one of several different directions.

I guess for us it will be more of the same looks like Woodman is coming back, together with Guehi and possibly Brewster and less likely Gallagher, we need to extend Naughtons contract get a replacement/ back up left back, Celina needs to make up his mind what he wants to do, a replacement striker for Ayew and hopefully a couple of the academy guys will step up to the plate again. Loans and free transfers will be the order of the day, but if we play good attractive passing football, survive in this division and remain financially stable I will accept that.

Pacemaker said:
Best_loser said:

It seems that way, Tan didn't splash the cash on our recent visit to The Top Shop, doesn't really bother me, i'd like to see my Club build something as opposed to spunking a load of cash on crap players-see Gary Madine, because seeing is believing!

Pacemaker said:
Gentrified Canton said:

Despite the style of play the reality is that you could easily have been in the playoff final if you had a centre forward ( instead of Glatzel) you could be going into the final, equally so could we if Ayew had converted his penalty, if Gallagher had finished his chance the outcome could have been very different. However for different reason neither side look prepared for the PL.

I guess if you can hang onto your keeper(s) then you look fairly steady at the back, if a bit slow and ponderous, wingers look ok and if you could get Tomlin fit and a decent striker then Harris could keep you top 6ish. At some point your squad is going to need a complete overhaul as it must be one of the oldest in the division. That could go one of several different directions.

I guess for us it will be more of the same looks like Woodman is coming back, together with Guehi and possibly Brewster and less likely Gallagher, we need to extend Naughtons contract get a replacement/ back up left back, Celina needs to make up his mind what he wants to do, a replacement striker for Ayew and hopefully a couple of the academy guys will step up to the plate again. Loans and free transfers will be the order of the day, but if we play good attractive passing football, survive in this division and remain financially stable I will accept that.

Fair shout, whenever i've seen Celina play, he looks composed, good technique, although he doesn't seem to show much expression (correct me if i'm wrong) isn't he a bit marmite with some of your support? Gallagher looks decent, as does Brewster, although i could see him maybe going to a lower level Prem side, Brighton might be a fit for him with Potter in charge.

As for us, funny old side. It's getting better, under Warnock some of the stuff that was going on should have been made an offence. Harris isn't a total football man (which sort of suits us at the moment) although we are now trying to play some phased football, trust me, it's like watching a revolution after the warnock years. I'm like you, i'll take competing at this level as long as there's a change in philosophy at my club, i don't think we've ever really had one.

A tidy start to your posting on the site, Canton. Welcome.

DJack said:

Just an old recycled one of 5 Cardiff posters who have been here before.
Obsessed.

Belfy said:
DJack said:

Obsessed.

Too early to tell but if you're correct it will show soon enough.

Belfy said:
DJack said:

Obsessed.

Nah, that's not my bag. I like football, this may go against plenty of fans (on both sides) instincts, but both clubs and fans have quite a bit in common. It's quite an odd rivalry, don't you think? Imagine what it must be like living in a City with two teams, or within close proximity? The fallout on a Monday morning and for a while after would be horrendous if you were on the losing side. As it stands, we don't really come into contact with each over a great deal, which for the best part over the past 10 years, suits me fine :D

Anyway, back to the football. Can you believe how quickly Brentford tried to move the ball the other night-Fulham as well? Neither team look up or take that extra touch, moving the ball at pace is drilled into them. I'm hoping Brentford can turn Fulham over and get promoted, it would be genuinely fascinating to see them play that way in the Premier League, i don't think that they'd change or become a bit more defensive either. The only problem i can see them having against Fulham is defensively. The defending for the Brewster goal was parks level, all he needed to do was swing his left foot through the ball. I can only guess the reason the Central defender did that is because Brentford don't seem to deviate from keeping possession.

Gentrified Canton said:
Belfy said:
Obsessed.

Nah, that's not my bag. I like football, this may go against plenty of fans (on both sides) instincts, but both clubs and fans have quite a bit in common. It's quite an odd rivalry, don't you think? Imagine what it must be like living in a City with two teams, or within close proximity? The fallout on a Monday morning and for a while after would be horrendous if you were on the losing side. As it stands, we don't really come into contact with each over a great deal, which for the best part over the past 10 years, suits me fine :D

Anyway, back to the football. Can you believe how quickly Brentford tried to move the ball the other night-Fulham as well? Neither team look up or take that extra touch, moving the ball at pace is drilled into them. I'm hoping Brentford can turn Fulham over and get promoted, it would be genuinely fascinating to see them play that way in the Premier League, i don't think that they'd change or become a bit more defensive either. The only problem i can see them having against Fulham is defensively. The defending for the Brewster goal was parks level, all he needed to do was swing his left foot through the ball. I can only guess the reason the Central defender did that is because Brentford don't seem to deviate from keeping possession.

They remind me of us 10 years ago... they were good days.

Gentrified Canton said:
Belfy said:
Obsessed.

Brentford (see Swansea City, 2010).

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back