• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

The Big Match

CurtessECarr

Tommy Hutchison
Reaction score
Trawled through itv player and there is a Chelsea vs Swansea old div 2 as their main match. Stamford bridge looks like Mynydd Newydd. Some great old names playing Rushberry, Attlee and Callaghan. No Curt I think he was at Leeds at the time. Other games were enjoyable too. More reflecting on old names again like Withe,Roeder and Hillaire. (Worth a watch. Under full series / sport/ ser5 ep 8 for those interested.)

Certainly not like todays pampered vastly overpaid lot. Imagine todays lot having to play on some of those pitches and coming up against some of the characters and hardmen of yesteryear. While I'm all for improvements in pitches and medical standards, the constant falling over at the faintest touch and rolling about as if they have been shot is I'm afraid turning me away from the sport I've loved for nearly 60 years.

cmajack said:
Certainly not like todays pampered vastly overpaid lot. Imagine todays lot having to play on some of those pitches and coming up against some of the characters and hardmen of yesteryear. While I'm all for improvements in pitches and medical standards, the constant falling over at the faintest touch and rolling about as if they have been shot is I'm afraid turning me away from the sport I've loved for nearly 60 years.

I agree with this. My solution is for post match video review and where simulation/play acting is seen the player gets a one match ban.

cmajack said:

Yes heavy pitches real serious contact heavy boots and heavier ball only one sub you didnt hear a lot about player fatigue like today!!!!

Vetchonian said:
cmajack said:

Yes heavy pitches real serious contact heavy boots and heavier ball only one sub you didnt hear a lot about player fatigue like today!!!!

Just as a point of order. A standard football weighs between 14-16 oz, same as it always has. ;)

Garyjack said:
Vetchonian said:

Just as a point of order. A standard football weighs between 14-16 oz, same as it always has. ;)

Genuine question. Weren't the old leather balls prone to absorbing water and so ending up much heavier?

legoman said:
Garyjack said:

Genuine question. Weren't the old leather balls prone to absorbing water and so ending up much heavier?

Yes, but they didn't use a leather ball in the game in question.

Garyjack said:
legoman said:

The leather ball we used to use over clwyd weighed four stone.

monmouth said:
Garyjack said:

The leather ball we used to use over clwyd weighed four stone.

(with apologies to Monty Python)

"We used to dream of playing with a ball that only weighed four stone..........."

legoman said:
cmajack said:

I agree with this. My solution is for post match video review and where simulation/play acting is seen the player gets a one match ban.

Agreed with both comments - one of the things that behind closed doors football reduced was the amount of play acting

Doors open again, crowds come back in and - boom - its back. There were several great impressions of dying seals at the Euros, each of which would be fantastic if it were met with a ban.

On a side note, when Grealish was treated for his injury in the final on Sunday why did he not leave the pitch after the treatment?

PSumbler said:
legoman said:

Agreed with both comments - one of the things that behind closed doors football reduced was the amount of play acting

Doors open again, crowds come back in and - boom - its back. There were several great impressions of dying seals at the Euros, each of which would be fantastic if it were met with a ban.

On a side note, when Grealish was treated for his injury in the final on Sunday why did he not leave the pitch after the treatment?

You no longer need to leave the pitch after treatment if the tackler gets booked/sent off.

magicdaps said:
PSumbler said:

You no longer need to leave the pitch after treatment if the tackler gets booked/sent off.

Well, every day is a school day and today that is certainly the case. Opens the door nicely for play acting even further

PSumbler said:
legoman said:

Because no one even noticed he was on the pitch?

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back