• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

The black actress who played Anne Boleyn

• Thread starter Darran
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 18
  • Views: Views 3,160
Shirley, it should be best person for the job, regardless of anything else.

Jack2jack said:
Shirley, it should be best person for the job, regardless of anything else.

Depends on subject matter and how close to historical accuracy the aim is.

For example Braveheart, based loosely on historical events but totally inaccurate but a good entertaining film.

If the subject matter is fantasy or fiction then who cares what anyone cast is compared to the book.

If its historical but has no intention to historical detail, then who cares.

If the intention is to portray an historical event as accurate as possible then you would expect the cast to reflect what historically would be the people at the time.

Can you imagine a remake of Zulu where the Zulu's are a mixture of black, white, Asian and Oriental or Martin Luthor Kings final years being acted by Mel Gibson.

At the end of the day a well acted film that is entertaining is always welcome, no matter what.

What disturbs me is the fact that someone who like's to see historical accuracy is automatically labelled as racist these days. (EDIT: seeing the OP was Laurence Fox then sometimes the label is correct).

I watched it last night and unfortunately it just wasn't very good. There were some glaringly poor historical inaccuracies that Hilary Mantel would just titter at and was just obviously 'restricted' in its budget. The idea that Henry the 8th would be happy to sit at the side of a dinner table with his wife at the head is just laughable. However, the biggest issue with this low budget representation was that the lead is just not a very good actress. I was just completely unconvinced she is a good Anne Boleyn. Just my opinion folks.

Swanjaxs said:
I can't work out if I should be outraged or not by this tweet to be honest 🤷‍♀️

Be outraged, most people seem to be outraged by something these days, don't miss out!

Looks like Darran has been spending too much time on Planet Stormfront again.

I watched the Richard Burton film the other week... First class and what a great cast.

BrynCartwright said:
I watched it last night and unfortunately it just wasn't very good. There were some glaringly poor historical inaccuracies that Hilary Mantel would just titter at and was just obviously 'restricted' in its budget. The idea that Henry the 8th would be happy to sit at the side of a dinner table with his wife at the head is just laughable. However, the biggest issue with this low budget representation was that the lead is just not a very good actress. I was just completely unconvinced she is a good Anne Boleyn. Just my opinion folks.

I haven't seen it but she is definitely capable of good acting, the last film I saw in cinema was queen and slim, a very good movie and good performance from her

Darran said:
AceJack said:
Looks like Darran has been spending too much time on Planet Stormfront again.

I was talking about Anne Boleyn having six fingers ffs. :lol:

There's a number of people who are polydactylism activists on this board.

Itchysphincter said:
Plenty of white men have played Jesus.

Déjà vu?

I've never seen a description of Jesus, as in colour, he was supposed to be a Jew, what colour are Jewish people in general? To some of us he's a work of fiction anyway.

Through cinematic history, white actors have played the parts of ethnic minority characters. Mainly Hollywood where they made movies for the American public and therefore wanted names that people would place their bums on seats for. Minority actors were only used as minor characters or extra's mainly.

Who was the first major black actor, Sidney Poitier? late 1950's. Black actors have slowly raised in prominence since.

Of course this was always wrong and saying it was the way of times cuts no mustard with some, but realistically it was.

Nowadays we're quite righty past that type of thing, we should no longer seeing people blacking up for parts or having their eyes stretched etc.

But the issue here though is not people changing their appearance but playing parts of real historical people, where people actually have paintings etc of these people taken during their lifetime. Is it a good thing? Should it matter?

Nowadays if a white person plays a real person of an ethnic background a fuss is made.

I believe the casting for this was meant to be controversial, maybe to raise the awareness and get people talking or maybe just to get people talking to get people watching it.

I love these threads. All the tolerant people who only want equality maaaaaan being very tolerant when equality doesn’t match their expectations of what it should mean.

This is a fictional drama by the way. As was Braveheart, when Australian Mel Gibson played Scot William Wallace. Ffs.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back