Swansea 2 Cambridge 0

Saturday, 15 February 2003, 0:01
2 mins read

Richards started in a three man attack with Williams and Watkin with Mumford in for Lenny Johnrose in the middle of the pitch. With it being ladies day they were plenty of the female species in attendance in the crowd of just under 5,000 who had the main talking point of Wales being humbled by Italy in the 6 nations prior to kick off.

With it being ladies day it seemed strange to have the ice babes there today and looked more farcical as they lined up somewhat awkwardly as the teams took to the pitch. Swansea looked useful in the first half with Martinez in particular controlling the midfield with a much needed will to get the ball. Williams on the right side of the forward trio provided an outlet which he used a couple of times but was unable to convert into a decent cross with the ball on both occasions ending up in the East Stand.

There was much possession for Swansea in the first half but little creativity with most of the early shots coming from long range and failing to trouble the Cambridge goalkeeper. Cambridge were faring little better but could have gone ahead bar a point blank save from Roger. Williams in turn forced his own point blank save after latching onto a Tate through ball and the sides trooped off at half time level – the Swans being marginally better.

However, the second half saw Swansea take control with Martinez and Britton now combining to great effect to control the midfield completely and Richards looking ever dangerous up front. They were dealt a blow though when a late challenge left Terry Evans in a heap on the floor and his team mates immediately calling for a stretcher. Five minutes of on pitch treatment elapsed and Evans was stretchered from the pitch, clearly in agony.

Marc Richards put the Swans ahead five minutes later after a fine move from the home side. A cleared ball dropped at the feet of Howard who had the presence of mind to pass to Williams out on the right. It is worth noting here that a few weeks ago Howard would have just hit the ball back from where it came but such is the confidence of the side he looked to see who was best placed for the pass. Williams received the ball and took one touch before firing in the cross which was met by the diving Watkin. Despite a parry from the keeper it only dropped at the feet of Richards who tapped into the net to send the Vetch into joyous scenes.

From that point forward Swansea were very much in control of the game with Roger never being forced into any save of note and the defence lapping up anything that Cambridge were throwing at them. Martinez was in complete control of the game at this point and deservedly got his man of the match award. Although Britton was again outstanding for me today it was the Spaniard who shone in the performance and fingers could easily be pointed that he was the link that we were missing for so long.

Swansea’s second goal came when Martinez sent Richards away on the right hand side of the pitch and as the keeper advanced he hit a glorious shot over his head and into the net to seal the points. Britton was unlucky not to add a third shortly after and the remaining minutes were played out with some comfort for the Swans.

To me this was the biggest win yet of this run. Although the rest were equally important this was the one that put some light between us and the bottom and there is now the huge belief that the Jacks really are staying up. The downside for the Swans today will be the booking of Jason Smith which I think means a ban for the Wrexham game.

Images courtesy of Getty Images, Athena Picture Agency and Swansea City Football Club.

League Table

Next Up

Forum Latest

Threads: 16,269

Messages: 241,236

Members: 3,906

Latest member: harveyfreel

Latest from Blog