• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

11th November 1920 ... Remembrance Day ...

TheLoneRanger

Ivor Allchurch
Reaction score
11th November 1920 ...

One hundred years ago today, the Cenotaph was unveiled on Whitehall and the Unknown Warrior was buried at Westminster Abbey.

https://youtu.be/6v3liUY2gSE

Today in 1919, Britain introduced a two minute silence at 11.00

Always remember the sacrifice they made.
BUT
The Royal British Legion have over 70 million in the bank with the head taking 150k a year in salary. Together with the value in the many buildings/property they own.

Not sure I'm happy buying a poppy with that knowledge.

The first British Legion Poppy Day was today in 1921.

sainthelens said:
BUT
The Royal British Legion have over 70 million in the bank with the head taking 150k a year in salary. Together with the value in the many buildings/property they own.

That's interesting, I didn't know that.

I wouldn't overly complain about the salary, it doesn't seem excessive for being in charge of a charity that is big enough to have £70m in the bank. It's around £90k take home. As long as he/she isn't taking bonuses on top of that, I don't see it as a problem.

The £70m in the bank is fine as long as they have good reason for it. If they're keeping it to be spent on causes they identify as priority or holding large financial reserves as a precaution to be able to continue charitable work if the money stops coming in, then fair enough. If they're keeping it in the bank for employees to profit from the interest or at the expense of charity work, then that's another story, although that seems far-fetched.

Is this just another smear attempt on a charity to deflect attention away from the real money-grabbing insects in the country I wonder (not suggesting you're doing that personally, just lots of charities seem to have come under attack in recent years)?

JackSomething said:
sainthelens said:
BUT

I wouldn't overly complain about the salary, it doesn't seem excessive for being in charge of a charity that is big enough to have £70m in the bank. It's around £90k take home. As long as he/she isn't taking bonuses on top of that, I don't see it as a problem.

The £70m in the bank is fine as long as they have good reason for it. If they're keeping it to be spent on causes they identify as priority or holding large financial reserves as a precaution to be able to continue charitable work if the money stops coming in, then fair enough. If they're keeping it in the bank for employees to profit from the interest or at the expense of charity work, then that's another story, although that seems far-fetched.

Is this just another smear attempt on a charity to deflect attention away from the real money-grabbing insects in the country I wonder (not suggesting you're doing that personally, just lots of charities seem to have come under attack in recent years)?
The top 5 listed charities in the UK have over 200 million in the bank.
Draw your own conclusions.

sainthelens said:
JackSomething said:

There's lots of conclusions that can be drawn from that, some of which I suggested above. It's better in the bank than in some individual's pocket right? Why do you think they have that much money in the bank?

I'm fully aware that there has been financial mismanagement at various charities over the years and they certainly should be scrutinised, but I'm bemused as to why the next step in this country eating itself is to attack charities? It's almost as if the more worthwhile targets are working to focus attention elsewhere...

JackSomething said:
sainthelens said:

There's lots of conclusions that can be drawn from that, some of which I suggested above. It's better in the bank than in some individual's pocket right? Why do you think they have that much money in the bank?

I'm fully aware that there has been financial mismanagement at various charities over the years and they certainly should be scrutinised, but I'm bemused as to why the next step in this country eating itself is to attack charities? It's almost as if the more worthwhile targets are working to focus attention elsewhere...
Quite the opposite. There are so many small genuine charities around that go basically hand to mouth with everything they get donated going where it should. It's the big charities that need investigating.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back