• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Coronavirus, looking back, personal perspective

Swanjaxs

Roger Freestone
Reaction score
For me, the first couple of weeks of lockdown was absolutely life changing...

Only allowed out of your house for 10 minutes to walk a pet, I remember walking my dog and thinking I was dreaming, no cars, no people walking around, it really was a once in a lifetime event (hopefully 🙏)

Going into work from day one because I was deemed to be "essential" and watching my co- workers literally shìtting thier pants.

Many loved ones lost ❤️
But thanks to the ball busting work of virologists we are all safer now imho.

What's your experience of lockdown?
Have you got a a better perception of life?
TIA 🤔

"Literally shitting their pants"? Wowser.

I was lucky (emphasis on "was"). I was able to work from home, as was Mrs Bear, with only a slight drop in income. We get on famously so had a whale of a time, took regular walks (was it really only ten minutes? I thought it was longer. Or are you not in Wales?), took coffee breaks in the garden. It was ace.

Knowing we weren't going to get visitors meant we became a bit skanky in terms of house-cleaning. But neither of us cared.

We saw more of friends and family (via Zoom) than we had in real life previously.

However, if I'm going to be honest, the whole shitshow has affected me in a way I hadn't foreseen. It's made me anxious in social situations. Even now I get myself into a right state before going into work. And my intolerance of other people has meant I'm having a break from going to the football as I was spending more time getting stressed by the people around me than actually concentrating on the game.

So, swings and roundabouts but I think I was very lucky.

Very interesting question this one. Have been classed as a home worker for best part of 25 years so the transition of working at home was an easy one.

The first lockdown actually went quick - think there was some level of novelty to it and it did certainly make me appreciate what was around me (family and countryside much more) as SB said above probably saw more of family then than before because of Zoom calls etc but sadly since lockdown stopped we have all gone back to normal and stopped doing those things.

Now when I look back it all feels a little surreal that we were locked down for three months with little ineraction, the days of queuing 2 metres apart outside the supermarket is a distant memory but I do overall have a slightly different take on life as a result

Squarebear said:
"Literally shitting their pants"? Wowser.

I was lucky (emphasis on "was"). I was able to work from home, as was Mrs Bear, with only a slight drop in income. We get on famously so had a whale of a time, took regular walks (was it really only ten minutes? I thought it was longer. Or are you not in Wales?), took coffee breaks in the garden. It was ace.

Knowing we weren't going to get visitors meant we became a bit skanky in terms of house-cleaning. But neither of us cared.

We saw more of friends and family (via Zoom) than we had in real life previously.

However, if I'm going to be honest, the whole shitshow has affected me in a way I hadn't foreseen. It's made me anxious in social situations. Even now I get myself into a right state before going into work. And my intolerance of other people has meant I'm having a break from going to the football as I was spending more time getting stressed by the people around me than actually concentrating on the game.

So, swings and roundabouts but I think I was very lucky.

Aye absolutely shìtting thier pants, when you are being told to stay indoors except for 10 minutes a day to exercise, when there is practically no vehicles on the road, when people are dropping like flies, and you are told to go into work and mix with other people, put yourself in that situation.
Obviously everything settled down after a few weeks, but as you say, you were lucky you were able to stay at home...

PSumbler said:
Very interesting question this one. Have been classed as a home worker for best part of 25 years so the transition of working at home was an easy one.

The first lockdown actually went quick - think there was some level of novelty to it and it did certainly make me appreciate what was around me (family and countryside much more) as SB said above probably saw more of family then than before because of Zoom calls etc but sadly since lockdown stopped we have all gone back to normal and stopped doing those things.

Now when I look back it all feels a little surreal that we were locked down for three months with little ineraction, the days of queuing 2 metres apart outside the supermarket is a distant memory but I do overall have a slightly different take on life as a result

Interesting question indeed. I was the opposite to you in terms of working arrangements, had been office based and with significant overseas travel. In 2019 alone I had more than thirty overseas trips and up to first week of March 2020 had accumulated a further seven. I came back from Bologna for the last time pre lockdown and there were only three people on the flight. It was more than clear that the landscape was changing dramatically.

Fast forward a few weeks from there and we’re all marooned at home. I fell into the trap of not being able to separate work from social times and there were occasions where I had to be pulled out of home office for the basics of having tea. This went on until late July when things opened back up.

Some very strange experiences during the period in between, some of which you mention. I look back and smile at some of the vagaries that we were exposed to. Unfortunately there wasn’t a text book in the shelf that those in charge could go to as a means of planning our way out of the situation that gripped us.

I don’t feel much pandemic hangover these days. We’re basically back to 2019 IMO.

Interesting thread!

Home-wise, the impact was not huge because both our kids have left home. We live in a rural area and nearest neighbours are about 100m away so social distancing is pretty much the norm round here and you have always been able to go out for a walk for hours without seeing another soul anyway if you choose to. Socially, me & Mrs K used to have a coffee maybe 4-6 times a week in a very homely cafe where we knew all the staff really well and most of the regulars, but obviously it closed so instead we replicated that in our kitchen at 10.30 every morning to share a coffee and, in my case, a couple of Hot X buns!

Family - my mother and siblings all lived a long way from me. My mother & both sisters lived in the North East near Gateshead and my brother in Swansea so I used to see my brother for every home game but the others I'd only see a few times a year anyway so that wasn't much of a big deal. Initial problem was that my mother was already 96 and the way things were shaping up, we thought she had zero chance of surviving so as soon as the first lockdown and all the rules were announced, within a few hours I jumped in my car and drove the 329 miles to her house and stayed for a couple of days coming back a day or 2 before lockdown started.

Work - I've worked from home since 1990 so absolutely no problem there. However, as part of my work, we have to go to construction sites every so often to assemble stuff and while most sites were significantly scaled back, construction was allowed to continue to operate and we were still expected to turn up which was a bit scary. For a start, it meant 3 of us had to travel in separate vehicles which was incredibly expensive and trying to socially distance is very difficult when it takes 2 of you to lift something into position while the 3rd puts some fixings in. Thankfully, most of what we were scheduled to do was delayed but the downside of that was, once things were getting back close to a new normal, we had to shoehorn loads of work into a very short timescale which was a bit manic but the second lockdown in autumn/winter 2020 made things much more complicated than the first one.

Has anything changed in our lives? Well, in an unexpected twist, on the very day when all restrictions were lifted and absolutely everything was allowed to fully reopen in July 2021, the cafe we had frequented for well over a decade, decided to close forever despite doing takeaways for the previous 6 months. My mother survived all the worst of the lockdowns and general pandemic mayhem until she died of old age last December aged 98. Work has returned more or less to normal.

The original lockdown was oddly a nice break-lovely spring weather, catch up with writing parts of my job, got some odd jobs sorted, lots of walks with the kids and dog. Warm enough to work in the garden. Of course it then dragged-my wife was back in work providing school for key workers and vulnerable kids (don't believe the entitled who tell you teachers did nothing-my wife has had Covid three times from her class). Restrictions on work were huge-we could not undertake any lab work for 8 months and then another 8 months of 50% capacity-in effect a year of research time was lost and it rather destroyed my desire to work-which partly precipitated moving jobs from Liverpool to Bristol. Was never really worried about outside contact as was patently obvious this was a respiratory spread and the hand gel was a waste of time, but wore masks indoors until recently. Always going to be a bigger work from home element and fewer trips away now. But that suits me.

Having been designated “extremely vulnerable” and losing a colleague who was 48, fit and strong in the first month turned me into a recluse for the first lockdown. Taking the dog out at midnight in the hope that I wouldn’t meet anyone and the effect on my wife who wouldn’t go anywhere either in case she brought it home to me.

Gradually got a bit braver then after the first vaccine got much braver. Have had Covid at least twice with some illness but nothing to write home about. The vaccine (I’ve had 6 to date) actually causes more issues for me than the Covid because it wakes up my otherwise suppressed immune system which brings back my symptoms that are the reason for the suppression in the first place. No brainer to keep having the vaccines for me though because without them I’d probably be dead.

A lot like J_B.
Retired eventually in October 2019 and was looking forward to a few holidays abroad without the worry of work getting involved when away.
March came and it all kicked off. My mother died at the beginning of April and as I was “extremely vulnerable “ was unable to visit her, as she died in a nursing home. Covid related. Taking advice from my doctor, I didn’t attend her funeral either. This was very stressful and upsetting.
There were no jabs available yet and nothing was known this early on about how it would affect me if I caught it.
My youngest son lives at home with us and was paranoid about bringing Covid home (he’s on he autism spectrum) so he managed to get time away from his job. We isolated at home with online shopping and FaceTime being our only contact with the outside world.
Thankfully, all has turned out fine, almost back to “normal”. We’ve all had our allotted jabs, I’ve had 6. I did, somehow, catch Covid last April and thank goodness it was very mild, just feeling tired and weak. Thanks to the developers of the vaccine for a great job in getting it available so soon, and saving many lives.👏👏👏
Looking forward to a holiday abroad next year. 🤞

Lockdown didn’t bother me in the slightest. We were very lucky in that respect. I enjoy being at home, the wife and I enjoy each other’s company and we have a decent sized garden to enjoy. I think what I missed most was the lack of live sport to watch, whether in person or on the telly. The two lockdown test series against the West Indies and Pakistan helped. Work was a challenge. We had no history of home working and we weren’t set up for it as an organisation. Initially I worked in the kitchen and the wife in the living room and it was far from ideal. Once we set up an office upstairs it became much easier. I quickly grew to enjoy and become convinced of the benefits of home working. We’re back on a hybrid model now which seems entirely pointless to me but it keeps some people happy.

Not being able to attend the funerals of 2 close/long time friends was awful.
Then losing my Mrs 12 months ago ( albeit not in lockdown)...not been pleasant couple of years.
All in all, a surreal fckn nitemare.

exiledclaseboy said:
Lockdown didn’t bother me in the slightest. We were very lucky in that respect. I enjoy being at home, the wife and I enjoy each other’s company and we have a decent sized garden to enjoy. I think what I missed most was the lack of live sport to watch, whether in person or on the telly. The two lockdown test series against the West Indies and Pakistan helped. Work was a challenge. We had no history of home working and we weren’t set up for it as an organisation. Initially I worked in the kitchen and the wife in the living room and it was far from ideal. Once we set up an office upstairs it became much easier. I quickly grew to enjoy and become convinced of the benefits of home working. We’re back on a hybrid model now which seems entirely pointless to me but it keeps some people happy.

For me the very definition of hybrid should be you choose to get to work the way that you feel is most productive to get the work done.

Seen too many examples of people saying "Yes its hybrid so you come in the office monday and wednesday (example) and work at home" - thats not really hybrid for me thats just a mixed way of working.

I do (and will always) believe that for some working at home is by far the better option and I know that in all my time working at home stretching back to the mid 90s I am probably far more productive in the house than any desk that you make me sit near in an office.

I think I am also lucky in that I still travel a fair bit in my current job and i do like many hours in the car spent in my own company listening to podcasts, radio or spotify. Maybe I just dont like people :lol:

Really interesting thread, it’s good to read others experiences. Condolences to those who’ve lost loved ones.

Covid has had a huge affect on my life. At the beginning, there was very little information available about Covid apart from the dreadful scenes we saw in Italy. I was very concerned as I’ve got elderly parents and both have underlying health conditions while my youngest was asthmatic. Junior also works for the NHS and has spent a considerable chunk of the last 2.5 years working on Covid wards with patient who were very unwell - a pretty harrowing experience for a teenager. We followed the rules religiously trying not to expose my parents and other vulnerable people to Covid. I still rarely go in my parents house and when possible talk to them through the window or in the garden. If I go in I still wear a mask.

Work wise, life was manic. Wifey and I were both key workers in the emergency services and we’ve never been busier, work was absolutely manic. Initially, I had to go in to work on a daily basis, but as time went home working became possible.

In terms of positives, loved the peace and tranquility of the lock down and I also got up take care of a few jobs around the house. Managed to save some cash too. It was also great to see the community spirit re-emerge and see so many people helping the less fortunate.

I’ve had Covid 3 times, the self isolation etc drove me mad.

Honestly, lockdown was probably the least stressful time of my life...I know that I am lucky in that respect; I didn't have to worry about work/income and neither did Mrs Swerve. My profession is a lecturer at a University so it was interesting how it accelerated online learning techniques, which is an interest of mine...and forced us into thinking outside of the box. Thankfully I enjoyed online teaching so it wasn't stressful to me. It was great to be able to get up a little later, teach, go for a run, have lunch with the wife (she is a teacher that was working from home also), have some online meetings and both be finished around 4-5 and ready to cook something for tea. It took away most of the hectic parts of our lives totally.

It's also changed how we work post-COVID, for the better in my eyes. I am 95% back on campus in terms of my teaching, but being able to supervise some projects and attend meetings online means that my work/life balance is far better. Generally I get to work from home one day a week now which takes some of the pressure away (and maybe I'm in the minority, but I find that I get far more of the admin-type work done at home than I do on-site).

I say all of this thankful that we were pretty much unaffected by the pandemic - my father-in-law contracted COVID fairly early on in the pandemic and was pretty ill, however wasn't hospitalised. The rest of us all caught it earlier this year but the vaccines seemed to have done their jobs and while we were ill, it was mostly flu-like symptoms. I can see how others who had it bad or lost loved ones, jobs, etc. would look back on it entirely different though.

The main irritant for me was not being able to travel - first world problems I know, but that was the main thing that was a pain. A minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back