• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Countries you want to visit before you snuff it.....

Professor said:
Fireboy said:
I'd love to live in Anglesey dicky.

We love going over-less than 90 mins from here. We stayed in a cottage in Rhoscolyn last autumn for a couple of nights-really good time.
Apart from slipping on some rocks and cracking a rib.

Two hours for us prof, go there every year for our hols, in fact we were there last week, near moelfre, the north east side is bloody brilliant, loads of beaches and great scenery.

Btw I hope your ribs have recovered 😲

Bryn:
1. Greenland (scenery and remoteness)
2. Argentina to see Y Wladfa (Patagonia)
3. Vanuatu (randomly met the King in my local the Kings Arms in Pentyrch....long story)
4. Colombia (stunning women)
5. India (Goa - relaxing and meeting ex- pat friends as half the village lives there in our winter).

Cooperman said:
BrynCartwright said:
I've been to plenty of different places, but there are several countries I'd REALLY like to get to before the Reaper comes a calling..

Mine are...

1. Japan
2. Argentina
3. Cuba
4. New Zealand
5. Egypt.

Need to get my arse in gear!

NZ - without a doubt. Watching a game of cricket in Queenstown is on my bucket list.
Argentina - very much so. I will say the same about Brazil and South America in general as I have never been further south in the Americas than Mexico City.

Spent quite a few winters in Queenstown, fantastic place, when I am in NZ I usually spend Boxing Day watching cricket, been to Eden Park NZ v Bangladesh 20/20, Hamilton ODI v England and watched their 20/20 regional games all over the country.

Japan is on my bucket list find it a fascinating country, been to India, Middle East, S Africa I love travel and I am trying to make up for a lack of cash when I was younger. My daughter has travelled the world with her husband, done all the America’s, Australia, Asia and its strange to hear her reel off her favourite countries, many of which you would never choose.

Pacemaker said:
Cooperman said:
NZ - without a doubt. Watching a game of cricket in Queenstown is on my bucket list.
Argentina - very much so. I will say the same about Brazil and South America in general as I have never been further south in the Americas than Mexico City.

Spent quite a few winters in Queenstown, fantastic place, when I am in NZ I usually spend Boxing Day watching cricket, been to Eden Park NZ v Bangladesh 20/20, Hamilton ODI v England and watched their 20/20 regional games all over the country.

Japan is on my bucket list find it a fascinating country, been to India, Middle East, S Africa I love travel and I am trying to make up for a lack of cash when I was younger. My daughter has travelled the world with her husband, done all the America’s, Australia, Asia and its strange to hear her reel off her favourite countries, many of which you would never choose.

What is Queenstown town really like? It looks the type of place that I'd happily go to for a few pints and a wander.

Cooperman said:
Pacemaker said:

What is Queenstown town really like? It looks the type of place that I'd happily go to for a few pints and a wander.
It is really quite odd in that the town is jam packed almost all year around with back packers and thrill seekers, but set on a wonderful lake with fantastic views, and so much beautiful countryside all around you.

It is ideal to use as a base to visit Milford Sound, Arrowtown and other sites and worth getting away from town as you have literally hundreds of camper vans of all shapes and sizes, people of all ages from all around the world, so it can be difficult to find some peace and quiet.

All the big thrills like the Kawara Bridge Bungy, Nevis Bungy and Shotover Jet are just outside town, but they will drive you out there as part of s the package if you don’t have transport. There is also a Bungy on the top of the cable car in town, the sports grounds are just outside town near the airport.

There are Loads of pubs and restaurants it literally has something for everyone, it can get very very busy at the height of the season, but oddly enough if you want to go hiking, MTB riding or cycling once you are out of town it is very peaceful. If you do go you need to get a Fergburger they are fantastic, ignore the massive queue, phone up and click and collect it’s much quicker.

Skiing is a bit hit and miss compared to Europe and a pretty short season (in our summer) overall I must have been there 5 or 6 times and still love it, I usually get a Airbnb or hotel, I did have a camper van one year to tour around the area but it was more hassle than using a hire car.

Just north of Queenstown is Glenorchy which is a fantastic road to drive along literally a photo opportunity at every bend. I have been using hired MTB around the southern part of the lake, they are on my Strava page if you want a look absolutely stunning area. As you can see I love it.

Have been to Canada. Want to go back.

Echo the suggestions of New Zealand, Australia etc, but I'd also like to see parts of the US like New York, The Rockies, and Yellowstone Park.

Last on my list is Norway. Wanted to do a fjords cruise for a while, see the glaciers and the Northern Lights, but I guess cruise ships are basically floating Petri dishes at the moment.

Pacemaker said:
Cooperman said:
It is really quite odd in that the town is jam packed almost all year around with back packers and thrill seekers, but set on a wonderful lake with fantastic views, and so much beautiful countryside all around you.

It is ideal to use as a base to visit Milford Sound, Arrowtown and other sites and worth getting away from town as you have literally hundreds of camper vans of all shapes and sizes, people of all ages from all around the world, so it can be difficult to find some peace and quiet.

All the big thrills like the Kawara Bridge Bungy, Nevis Bungy and Shotover Jet are just outside town, but they will drive you out there as part of s the package if you don’t have transport. There is also a Bungy on the top of the cable car in town, the sports grounds are just outside town near the airport.

There are Loads of pubs and restaurants it literally has something for everyone, it can get very very busy at the height of the season, but oddly enough if you want to go hiking, MTB riding or cycling once you are out of town it is very peaceful. If you do go you need to get a Fergburger they are fantastic, ignore the massive queue, phone up and click and collect it’s much quicker.

Skiing is a bit hit and miss compared to Europe and a pretty short season (in our summer) overall I must have been there 5 or 6 times and still love it, I usually get a Airbnb or hotel, I did have a camper van one year to tour around the area but it was more hassle than using a hire car.

Just north of Queenstown is Glenorchy which is a fantastic road to drive along literally a photo opportunity at every bend. I have been using hired MTB around the southern part of the lake, they are on my Strava page if you want a look absolutely stunning area. As you can see I love it.

Thanks for sharing. I'll get there one day, just not any time soon. My grand plan is to do NZ in conjunction with an England cricket tour, the seed is already planted at home, now I just need to nurture the growth over the next ten years.

controversial_jack said:
Scandinavia, Australia, Russia. Australia is too far, so can't see that happening.

Visited all the Scandinavian countries & Russia with work, Norway is one of my favourite places I have had the pleasure to go, lovely people, nice food, superb infrastructure bloody expensive though.

Moscow was amazing although the starling division between rich & poor is unbelievable to see.

& of course they are all bloody freezing.

PencoedJack said:
controversial_jack said:
Scandinavia, Australia, Russia. Australia is too far, so can't see that happening.

Visited all the Scandinavian countries & Russia with work, Norway is one of my favourite places I have had the pleasure to go, lovely people, nice food, superb infrastructure bloody expensive though.

Moscow was amazing although the starling division between rich & poor is unbelievable to see.

Russia - several countries in one especially when going off piste.
I used to go to Izhevsk which is the home of Kalashnikov rifle manufacturing (not that this was the subject that took me there). 800,000 inhabitants and until thirty years ago it was one of Russia’s hidden cities and didn’t feature on most maps.

Samara - on the banks of the Volga. Incredible sights in the summer months and awful in the depths of winter. Home of Lada (which is what took me there).

Travel in Russia was generally via internal flights on Russian state airlines; the only flights I’ve been on where the sign above the emergency exit read “in emergency use rope”. Two of the airlines eventually lost their safety certificates that then nullified our travel insurance which meant that we stopped going.

Cooperman said:
PencoedJack said:

Russia - several countries in one especially when going off piste.
I used to go to Izhevsk which is the home of Kalashnikov rifle manufacturing (not that this was the subject that took me there). 800,000 inhabitants and until thirty years ago it was one of Russia’s hidden cities and didn’t feature on most maps.

Samara - on the banks of the Volga. Incredible sights in the summer months and awful in the depths of winter. Home of Lada (which is what took me there).

Travel in Russia was generally via internal flights on Russian state airlines; the only flights I’ve been on where the sign above the emergency exit read “in emergency use rope”. Two of the airlines eventually lost their safety certificates that then nullified our travel insurance which meant that we stopped going.

Id love to have travelled further into Russia, a mate of mine who works for Rockwool was over there for 6 months in a small village & he loved it.

Learned not to stereotype people over the years but Russians (Muscovite's at least) are probably the closet to being the stereotypical image I had when I worked with them.

Pacemaker said:
Cooperman said:

Ageee Pacemaker. Wonderful place. Worked on Lake Wanaka in 2012 and took my lad there to work too.

Attachments

• ED7EC895-7953-4F14-A478-0E99E47654BF.jpeg
    ED7EC895-7953-4F14-A478-0E99E47654BF.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 2,911
BrynCartwright said:
I've been to plenty of different places, but there are several countries I'd REALLY like to get to before the Reaper comes a calling..

Mine are...

1. Japan
2. Argentina
3. Cuba
4. New Zealand
5. Egypt.

Need to get my arse in gear!

3, 4 & 5 ticked off. 6 weeks in NZ so if you want any advice. Cuba is amazing, and surreal at the same time. Would love to go back to Egypt.

Indonesia was cancelled in June. Really would like to go to Japan and some South East Asia countries. South America is a big draw to me.

Travel is what floats my boat so missing out this year is a big hit for me.

The picture in my avatar was one I took at the waterfall at Bridal Veil https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/waikato/places/raglan-area/tracks/waireinga-bridal-veil-falls/

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back