• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Danny Graham Retires

swansnews

Administrator
Reaction score
Former Rovers striker Danny Graham announces his retirement

Source: Lancashire Telegraph

Danny Graham has announced his retirement from professional football.

The striker left Sunderland on deadline day and announced his retirement decision on Wednesday evening.

Graham took to social media to make the announcement, hanging up his boots after 617 appearances and 174 goals, 57 of which were scored during his four-and-a-half year stay at Ewood Park which ended in the summer.

Tony Mowbray described Graham, aged 35, as the best one-touch finisher he’d worked with.

He wrote: "After a great deal of consideration, I feel now is the right time to announce my retirement from professional football.

"I am immensely proud, honoured and fortunate to have had the career I have. Representing 13 great clubs and working under many managers and coaches who help mould my career and me as a person.

"Thank you to my ex-teammates, I ahve loved sharing the pitch with you all and have created some special memories and friendships and of course to the fans, you make the game special.

"A last big thank you to my family and friends. Your support throughout the last 18 years has been amazing. I am now looking forward to the next chapter of my life.

"Chester Le Street Town, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Derby County, Leeds United, Blackpool, Carlisle United, Watford, Swansea City, Sunderland, Hull, Wolves and Blackburn Rovers, it has been a pleasure.

"617 appearances, 174 goals, over and out. DG x."

Graham returned to Sunderland in September following his departure and scored on his debut in an 8-1 win over Aston Villa Under-21s in the Papa John's Trophy.

However, that would prove to be his own goal for the club, leaving after 17 appearances.

12288082.png

Blackpooljack said:
Itchysphincter said:
We have a lot to be thankful of Danny Graham. Top player for us.
left us too soon

Don’t know about that. He had other things on his mind and not related to football if I remember rightly. Maybe we could have refocused him and got some more out of him, maybe not.

No doubt he was a very important part of that first season and transition to the next. Fond memories.

Itchysphincter said:

One of our best ever transfers all things considered. Played a huge role in providing a platform for life in the Premier League. He found the net reasonably frequently in his early games for us.

It’s 2-0!!! Stamford Bridge is stunned.

Have a good life Danny, don’t follow Gazza booze and bookies.

Cooperman said:
Itchysphincter said:

One of our best ever transfers all things considered. Played a huge role in providing a platform for life in the Premier League. He found the net reasonably frequently in his early games for us.

If I remember right, took him a good few games to get off the mark in the league, but once he did, we seemed to click and results improved. Probably not a coincidence.

Judging by his record at Sunderland, we sold at the right time. If he had kept his head straight though, I think we would have seen even more out of Michu. I remember him as looking better in the 10 role, behind a striker, although I know plenty disagree.

Either way, what a cracking run of strikers/forwards we had in the PL. Graham, Michu, Bony, Llorente. I still believe Gomis could have been added to the list if we'd played to his strengths rather than expect him to be another Bony, but I think I'm even more in the minority on that one. ;)

Agree with you...I also believe that if we played to Bafe's strengths then he would have scored many for us. He has everywhere else!

JackSomething said:
Judging by his record at Sunderland, we sold at the right time. If he had kept his head straight though, I think we would have seen even more out of Michu. I remember him as looking better in the 10 role, behind a striker, although I know plenty disagree.

Absolutely. Michu was always more prolific when breaking from midfield than when he was leading the line himself. One of Laudrup's more stupid moves was limiting the amount of time he and Bony spent on the same pitch.

JackSomething said:
I still believe Gomis could have been added to the list if we'd played to his strengths rather than expect him to be another Bony, but I think I'm even more in the minority on that one. ;)

You're spot on there too, and it seems that time and subsequent events have caused a few people to re-evaluate Bafe in a different light. He's scored a shedload of goals everywhere he's been except here under Monk. In no way did we play to his strengths at the time.

JackSomething said:
Cooperman said:

If I remember right, took him a good few games to get off the mark in the league, but once he did, we seemed to click and results improved. Probably not a coincidence.

Either way, what a cracking run of strikers/forwards we had in the PL. Graham, Michu, Bony, Llorente. I still believe Gomis could have been added to the list if we'd played to his strengths rather than expect him to be another Bony, but I think I'm even more in the minority on that one. ;)

By ‘early games’ I mean first few months.

Despite scoring a bucketload of goals he wasn’t an out and out goal scorer for us. Similar to Sheringham in the way that he used to make the game easier for those playing around him, even if he didn’t always get the glory. Perfect foil for Michu but suffered in a team with Gylfi, it just didn’t work for him.

DJack said:
Agree with you...I also believe that if we played to Bafe's strengths then he would have scored many for us. He has everywhere else!

I agree, Gomis was a brilliant striker that we didn’t utilise properly. An unbelievable finisher... but liked to play off the shoulder - something our players / coach couldn’t seem to adapt too.

Gave his all for us in what was "Dreamland" for most of us.
Never forget that for us to get to the PL in 2011 was totally incomprehensible from where we were 6-7 years before!
Any player that joined us and put 100% in gets my respect.

Massive wind st fan

Could have done even better had he not been such a grogger.

West Brom v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back