• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Decisions on Russ need to be made quickly or we risk another wasted summer

swansnews

Administrator
Reaction score
There are plenty of rumours flying around this week about Russell Martin’s trip to the States that are deemed to be about contract talks and the club’s plans for the summer. The initial noise was that the talks would likely lead to an extended contract for the Swans boss but similarly additional...

Read more

I refer you to my post of a month or so ago in which I was ridiculed for my revelation. All that has changed is the issue of severance/compo.

FIRST!

If Southampton come in for him he's gone and they won't hang about, so I'd say this will be sorted in the next 10 days or so...

Christ on a bike... some second rate gambling site has him favourite and this and other sites go into melt down. Absolutley nothing from the club or from the BBC to sugest this has any legs at all.

Blackpooljack said:
Christ on a bike... some second rate gambling site has him favourite and this and other sites go into melt down. Absolutley nothing from the club or from the BBC to sugest this has any legs at all.

Who's going into meltdown? Southampton are looking for a manager and some punters are putting money on him, myself, personally, I couldn't give a fuck either way...

Itchysphincter said:
I refer you to my post of a month or so ago in which I was ridiculed for my revelation. All that has changed is the issue of severance/compo.

FIRST!

Absolute b*llocks.

Swanjaxs said:
Who's going into meltdown? Southampton are looking for a manager and some punters are putting money on him, myself, personally, I couldn't give a f**k either way...
the six threads on these two sites suggests a fair amount of panic to me, and all because skybet have plucked a name out of the air, next manager bet is one of the most profitable books for a bookmaker, taking money off mugs on people who never ever were linked with the job, I once worked in a shop where there was an ante post voucher for Simon Grayson to be England Manager by 2025 50/1 £20 staked, its like taking candy off a baby.

Our current manager has 1 year left on his contract and clearly wants an extension, something which the club are quite rightly not in a rush to give him following two underwhelming seasons. At the same time, he's being linked with other jobs, whether because he's genuinely under consideration, it's newspaper guesswork, or his agent trying to put pressure on the club to offer him a new deal.

Given those circumstances, I'd suggest it's not surprising that it's being widely discussed online among Swansea fans. The only panic I can see is from those who see something in Martin as a manager that the rest of us don't see.

I'll be gutted if Russ goes, and I think he will.

I can see both sides to the arguments from the in-out brigades. I think Russ has developed many players, brought a style that I definitely prefer to Cooper's and who would probably have got us into the Play Offs had he been backed a bit during the last window. Also, it's been on a lot lower budgets than Potter and Cooper.

On the flip side, he's made many mistakes, but that's what young managers tend to do. He's selected players like Latibeaudiere out of position, frozen decent players out, played two strikers when it obviously wasn't working, persisted with trying to play the ball out against high-press teams and much more.

Overall, I think we hired a young coach who had his faults and he did pretty well, considering the wage budget. As a club that loses about £10m a year, we rely on bringing young players through, so he's ticket that box too.

We've reverted back to a style that most of us like, although he's learning how to tweak it when we need to. Not having much pace (after Obafemi left) or strength up front limited the longer ball or more direct options, but we did change, eventually.

I'd like to see him backed in the summer (and I think there'll be decent money available for transfers), but I doubt that we'll see Russ in the dugout next season, unfortunately.

Choosing the next manager is going to be tough....we need as much continuity as possible, especially if Martin takes players like Piroe and Grimes with him to Soton.

Would anyone take a punt on Nathan Jones? He did well at Luton, but does seem a bit of a loose cannon at times.

Onwards and upwards....

moscowjack said:

I can see both sides to the arguments from the in-out brigades. I think Russ has developed many players, brought a style that I definitely prefer to Cooper's and who would probably have got us into the Play Offs had he been backed a bit during the last window. Also, it's been on a lot lower budgets than Potter and Cooper.

On the flip side, he's made many mistakes, but that's what young managers tend to do. He's selected players like Latibeaudiere out of position, frozen decent players out, played two strikers when it obviously wasn't working, persisted with trying to play the ball out against high-press teams and much more.

Overall, I think we hired a young coach who had his faults and he did pretty well, considering the wage budget. As a club that loses about £10m a year, we rely on bringing young players through, so he's ticket that box too.

We've reverted back to a style that most of us like, although he's learning how to tweak it when we need to. Not having much pace (after Obafemi left) or strength up front limited the longer ball or more direct options, but we did change, eventually.

I'd like to see him backed in the summer (and I think there'll be decent money available for transfers), but I doubt that we'll see Russ in the dugout next season, unfortunately.

Choosing the next manager is going to be tough....we need as much continuity as possible, especially if Martin takes players like Piroe and Grimes with him to Soton.

Would anyone take a punt on Nathan Jones? He did well at Luton, but does seem a bit of a loose cannon at times.

Onwards and upwards....

I agree with most of what you said except for taking a punt on Nathan Jones, he failed spectacularly at Southampton and his style of play was never particularly eye catching or interesting to watch.

While the romanticist in me would want to see Potter or Rodgers return, it wouldn't surprise me (and I wouldn't be against it) if Cameron Toshack is finally given his chance in the driving seat after what he accomplished with our academy squad (in what was arguably the golden age of our youth production line).

He knows how we like to play and many of the members of the senior squad would be familiar with him.

Crikey

rose-colored-glasses-678x446.gif

Blackpooljack said:
the six threads on these two sites suggests a fair amount of panic to me, and all because skybet have plucked a name out of the air, next manager bet is one of the most profitable books for a bookmaker, taking money off mugs on people who never ever were linked with the job, I once worked in a shop where there was an ante post voucher for Simon Grayson to be England Manager by 2025 50/1 £20 staked, its like taking candy off a baby.

Just as well I haven't placed a bet in my life then aye, listen mate, you do know how message boards work out yea, rumours, fact, fact and more rumours, people love a rumour probably more than a fact, but as I've said previously, if Martin stays, if Martin goes, i really don't care at the moment, but reserve the right to chat shit about this or any other thread on here, if that's ok with you, obviously...

moscowjack said:

Onwards and upwards....
A brilliant and balanced post. Best I’ve seen anywhere actually, apart from the bit about Nathan Jones. What were you thinking!! That bloke should be managing in a Sunday league somewhere. Horrible bastard.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back