• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Electric vehicles

Cooperman said:
FearOfAJackPlanet said:
Porsche Taycan is the dream at the moment...

I have been involved in the Taycan development programme for the last two years, it's a truly incredible piece of engineering with some stunning design features. 0 to 100 mph in 6.0 seconds even beats Tesla Model S Performance.

One of the owners of the company i work for has a Tesla.

I didn't believe him when he said it could do 0 to 60 as quick as a sports bike (it was something like 3 or 4 seconds).

Although my underpants agreed with him after he took me out in it.

Swanjaxs said:
A friend of mine took an electric car out on a test drive a few years ago around the Enterprise Zone.

He mentioned how quiet the car was, and said the biggest drawback was pedestrians stepping out in front of him because they couldn't hear the car approaching!

I hired one in France and hated it,every single mile.No noise is actually offputting to me as it s like driving a dodgem car.

Hope I never HAVE to buy one.

The charging facilities would surely mean charging points on the streets. Good luck with that.

FearOfAJackPlanet said:
Cooperman said:
FearOfAJackPlanet said:
Porsche Taycan is the dream at the moment...

I have been involved in the Taycan development programme for the last two years, it's a truly incredible piece of engineering with some stunning design features. 0 to 100 mph in 6.0 seconds even beats Tesla Model S Performance.

Awesome. I'm impressed by the speed from our 2016 e-golf, I can only imagine what it feels like to floor a Taycan,..or I can just watch this guy:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vq6KEOIiMg&t=1699s[/media]

Always enjoyed watching Doug DeMuro on you Tube. His car reviews are very in depth, often to a nerdlike level.

Our next car will be electric. WOuld love a Jag I Pace. They are lovely, but expensive.

Neath_Jack said:
Cooperman said:

One of the owners of the company i work for has a Tesla.

I didn't believe him when he said it could do 0 to 60 as quick as a sports bike (it was something like 3 or 4 seconds).

Although my underpants agreed with him after he took me out in it.

The the Tesla Model S stats for 0-60 are 2.5 seconds. Needs to be experienced to be believed, as your pants will be able to confirm :lol:

BrynCartwright said:
Our next car will be electric. WOuld love a Jag I Pace. They are lovely, but expensive.

The big drawback on I-Pace has been charging times but that's all about to change as a fast charging solution has gone into production this week. Cuts full charge time down to less than nine hours.

Cooperman said:
[Cuts full charge time down to less than nine hours.

That's the barrier they've got to overcome. Nine hours to charge a battery vs 2 minutes to fill a tank. Not a major deal if you're just driving around and about at home, but if you're the type of person who covers a lot of miles regularly (or even just as an occasional one off) ultimately they're going to be impractical.

Dr. Winston said:
That's the barrier they've got to overcome. Nine hours to charge a battery vs 2 minutes to fill a tank. Not a major deal if you're just driving around and about at home, but if you're the type of person who covers a lot of miles regularly (or even just as an occasional one off) ultimately they're going to be impractical.

It definitely won't be the choice for everyone. As I said on page 1, I only anticipate 30% market share by 2030 and even then we will require a massive boost in infrastructure to enable this to happen. On street charging and fast grid technology will be pushed hard in the next few years.

I can't see how it can be done for those living in flats or terraced housing.There infrastructure won't be possible

controversial_jack said:
I can't see how it can be done for those living in flats or terraced housing.There infrastructure won't be possible

The infrastructure is already in place in other countries where street parking, car parks and work places have installed chargers in street lights etc. We need to do the same thing, in London there are chargers all over the place.

Getting the chargers to be easily used without numerous apps etc is more of an issue.

I changed my car in December and went for a hybrid this time. Incredible economy. Driven carefully I can get nearly 50mpg which is amazing for a car with a 2.5 litre engine. Road tax is only £20 a year too. You can switch to full eV mode which is great in a town but not sure how far it can go in eV mode yet as I haven't spent long enough in a big town to find out yet.

BoJo has plans to accelerate the banning of petrol and diesel vehicle sales in the UK, 2030 now being the target date.

https://www.ft.com/content/5e9af60b-774b-4a72-8d06-d34b5192ffb4

And it's not just cars that are the focus of electric mobility either...

https://www.harley-davidson.com/gb/en/motorcycles/livewire.html

The tories like electric cars but not electric trains to swansea.

controversial_jack said:

As someone who lives in a terraced house in Manselton & more often than not can't park outside my own home I'm wondering how it will work!
Will hydrogen power be the answer?

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back