• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Electric vehicles

Manselton Jack said:
controversial_jack said:
I can't see how it can be done for those living in flats or terraced housing.There infrastructure won't be possible

As someone who lives in a terraced house in Manselton & more often than not can't park outside my own home I'm wondering how it will work!
Will hydrogen power be the answer?

It is clear that the supporting infrastructure has to grow in line with the vehicle production, and it will but the problem is that these plans are not visible today to the general public. Billions of Pounds of investment are due to be poured into the development of the smart grid, on street charging facilities, expansion of shared charging faciities, etc. Too many people fall into the trap of thinking that a daily charge is necessary but based on statistics for commuter routes then many of us will only need one charge per week. None of us go and buy petrol every other day, right?

The other element that is only partly visible to the general public are the technology roadmaps of the manufacturers; those that have looked for the data will find a significant upward trend in battery performance and range and a downward trend in the cost of the powertrain.

Cooperman said:
Manselton Jack said:
As someone who lives in a terraced house in Manselton & more often than not can't park outside my own home I'm wondering how it will work!

It is clear that the supporting infrastructure has to grow in line with the vehicle production, and it will but the problem is that these plans are not visible today to the general public. Billions of Pounds of investment are due to be poured into the development of the smart grid, on street charging facilities, expansion of shared charging faciities, etc. Too many people fall into the trap of thinking that a daily charge is necessary but based on statistics for commuter routes then many of us will only need one charge per week. None of us go and buy petrol every other day, right?

The other element that is only partly visible to the general public are the technology roadmaps of the manufacturers; those that have looked for the data will find a significant upward trend in battery performance and range and a downward trend in the cost of the powertrain.

Sorry Coops I cant believe that as you've not made some sort of sensational claim... :lol:

A joke.

This sort of topics lends to hysteria and bold unsubstantiated claims - not from you though.

Cooperman said:
Manselton Jack said:

If we're relying on a coordinated plan for improving the infrastructure from this government it's not looking promising.

Manselton Jack said:
Cooperman said:

If we're relying on a coordinated plan for improving the infrastructure from this government it's not looking promising.

We are very much reliant upon a coordinated plan and I share your pessimism about the topic.

Been doing a fair bit of research on this as I am really tempted to go EV next vehicle change. Amazing efforts being made by Chinese companies to be at the forefront of this technology and the cars they are producing may not have the finish of the top western manufacturers but they are getting there and their prices are significantly lower than the mainstream manufacturers.

Very reminiscent of the Japanese in the 60s & 70s.

Cooperman said:
I work in the industry and even for me it's a little bit too early. The cost of a conventional powertrain has not yet overtaken the cost of an EV equivalent although the gap is closing quickly. Battery cell price reduction is the primary reason for the increased competitiveness but it's got a little way to go. 30% EV market share by 2030 is my prediction so even then it's not quite mainstream technology. That said there are some tremendous bargains out there that cannot be ignored if you're not fussy on choice of car / spec / colour.

Interesting you say that as my brother in law works for an independent automotive design house who do work for most of the major brands. He’s all on EV work now but also says it’s too early. Not for cost so much, he’s more worried about safety and especially the fire hazard from the batteries.

It’ll always be early at the start of something I suppose. Someone’s got to go first. It feels like it’s going mainstream now though. I’m tempted by the Peugeot 208 as a runaround for local commuting/school run/taxi for the kids. Still a middle class thing though, I get that. And 30 fkn grand! I could get a new kitchen and 2 new bathrooms for that.

Kia e-nero now £215 on a 2 year lease deal.

I want a Taycan though, if I'm going electric. Problem is that the models are all poverty pack on a lease at big cost, and I don't think I'd want that sort of ownership. Hopefully prices will collapse when Johnson's cretins have put the country totally on its arse next year! More seriously, technology will move very fast at the top end, so barring that collapse in price, which I can't see given supply and demand, I'm holding fire for at least three years. Might get a f**k off 5.0 litre V8 instead. Cheaper, even with running costs.

LeonWasTheDog's said:
Cooperman said:
I work in the industry and even for me it's a little bit too early. The cost of a conventional powertrain has not yet overtaken the cost of an EV equivalent although the gap is closing quickly. Battery cell price reduction is the primary reason for the increased competitiveness but it's got a little way to go. 30% EV market share by 2030 is my prediction so even then it's not quite mainstream technology. That said there are some tremendous bargains out there that cannot be ignored if you're not fussy on choice of car / spec / colour.

Interesting you say that as my brother in law works for an independent automotive design house who do work for most of the major brands. He’s all on EV work now but also says it’s too early. Not for cost so much, he’s more worried about safety and especially the fire hazard from the batteries.

It’ll always be early at the start of something I suppose. Someone’s got to go first. It feels like it’s going mainstream now though. I’m tempted by the Peugeot 208 as a runaround for local commuting/school run/taxi for the kids. Still a middle class thing though, I get that. And 30 fkn grand! I could get a new kitchen and 2 new bathrooms for that.

Does he work for Ricardo?

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back