• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Elis James - Football Programmes

PSumbler

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good read this

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/feb/07/the-end-of-an-era-football-programmes-outdated-or-great-pieces-of-history

Yeah, that's really nice. And the poignancy of his dad's memories is really moving.

I gave my programmes away to a friend in 1994. I've not bought one since. No regrets...yet.

I guess it will be generation thing but I can relate to that. I do have many from my early years but hardly bought any in maybe 10 years and even those were maybe keepsakes. Most of the content is readily available on line even if not in a programme format. Back then it helped pass a few minutes pre kick off or at half time. The advert comment did make me smile as they are part of a different era and a piece of history.

I was an avid collector of all types of football programmes including the Swans ones until the mid 80s, a growing family and the amount of room the boxes took up it came to a head!

I had the route of giving them all to the club in their hour of need, I just hope that they were used wisely and not turfed out in the rubbish, or went "anywhere" else, as there were a few worth a few bob.

It was addictive reading at the time, they were my papers, my social reading, I learnt a lot about lower league football growing up during the 60s and onwards, unknown players now, were well known to me, even now at time I search to see where players are now, their career etc.
Each club had a different programme format, all lost now, whether ts a good thing or not! to me its not.

Elis James is a top man, saw him at quite a few away games including Reading in the League Cup this season

Ah nostalgia. Made me have a quick look. First one top of the pile was the last season at the vetch against Wycombe 15 Jan 2005.

Advert for
Swansea Cork Ferries.
Jackarmy.net & a jackarmy.net talking page by Phil Sumbler
Monster Munch - Anyone remember them on the pitch?

Supporters Trust

Horse Race Night 19th Feb 2005 - £10 to include curry

Fans Forum Roadshow 20 Jan 2005 Penlan Social with Kenny Jacket and Roberto Martinez

Travelling Jacks by Steve Griffiths - Boston away ;)

One more from further back

Leyton Orient 7th Sept 1963

Adverts - How many still going 60 years on?

Trerise Printing Company 52 Prince of Wales Rd.

Jenkins Luxery Coaches Winifred Garage Skewen

West End Grill 35 St Helen's Rd

Bertie Perkins & co Travel Agents Bus Terminus

Bombay Grill 11 Singleton St

Peter Kidd Pipes & Tobacco 17 Picton Arcade

Three Lamps Hotel Castle Gardens

South Wales Caravans Neath Rd Plasmarl
Tha Langrove Country Club Parkmill

Blackhills Grill Fairwood

Darran said:
I only ever bought the ones I was in.
I’ve got hundreds. :lol:

I don't remember, but if I get a chance I'll have a look to see a section for "Have You Seen This Man " 😁

swan65split said:
I was an avid collector of all types of football programmes including the Swans ones until the mid 80s, a growing family and the amount of room the boxes took up it came to a head!

I had the route of giving them all to the club in their hour of need, I just hope that they were used wisely and not turfed out in the rubbish, or went "anywhere" else, as there were a few worth a few bob.

It was addictive reading at the time, they were my papers, my social reading, I learnt a lot about lower league football growing up during the 60s and onwards, unknown players now, were well known to me, even now at time I search to see where players are now, their career etc.
Each club had a different programme format, all lost now, whether ts a good thing or not! to me its not.

Agree. I remember the old club shop would have programmes from away games too and I would always buy one. Got boxes full of them up the attic. I will always keep the Tosh era ones though, especially the div 1 years.

Ebo said:
swan65split said:

Agree. I remember the old club shop would have programmes from away games too and I would always buy one. Got boxes full of them up the attic. I will always keep the Tosh era ones though, especially the div 1 years.
Yes I always bought a prog or 2, also I had a lot of other club lapel badges, I started collecting in the mid 60s, all of them gone now. but wish I had kept them.

Used to be the first port of call after getting in through the turnstiles, it was if you hadn't been to the game if you didn't pick one up in those days. Then gradually as the price increased and the quality deteriorated simultaneously getting a programme became more of a take it or leave it kind of affair. Stopped buying it years ago, probably before the advent of smart phones. Nowadays they're just for the collectors if the clubs bother doing them at all.

Blackburn Rovers v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back