• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

EV owners to pay road tax by 2025

I read somewhere that a hell of a lot of people who buy electric cars go back to combustion engines , things will improve though by the time everybody has to have one

exiledclaseboy said:
I’ll bet you all the money I have against all the money that you have that won’t happen.

Yep. There is no way on earth that in 7 years time every single new car in the UK will be electric. Even 2040 would be optimistic.

That’s before talking about the infrastructure issues.

exiledclaseboy said:
I’ll bet you all the money I have against all the money that you have that won’t happen.

Physically cannot happen if anyone looks at the numbers, costs, and the practical immovable constraints. It's just the usual political promise by people that know it wont be their problem when it arrives.

I work within the EV industry and don’t drive one, my next car almost certainly won’t be EV either.

There was a thread some time back in which I stated my prediction of a 30% market share by 2030, however I said this before the 2030 ban was announced. First half 2022 result was approx 15%, but don’t just look at this stat in isolation. Instead recognise the fact that many future vehicle models (for launch in 2025/6) don’t have an ICE option within the range. Therefore the 15% will see some big step rises over the next few years. My 30% prediction is now way off.

Whether the 2030 target is achieved remains to be seen. FWIW I think there will be some concessions granted. The bottleneck will be the gaps in infrastructure and not the car makers.

Cooperman said:
I work within the EV industry and don’t drive one, my next car almost certainly won’t be EV either.

There was a thread some time back in which I stated my prediction of a 30% market share by 2030, however I said this before the 2030 ban was announced. First half 2022 result was approx 15%, but don’t just look at this stat in isolation. Instead recognise the fact that many future vehicle models (for launch in 2025/6) don’t have an ICE option within the range. Therefore the 15% will see some big step rises over the next few years. My 30% prediction is now way off.

Whether the 2030 target is achieved remains to be seen. FWIW I think there will be some concessions granted. The bottleneck will be the gaps in infrastructure and not the car makers.

And in purchase unaffordability for most people?

Ps Coops, where do the 15% stats come from? I have a research interest in this and I’ve seen some wildly different assertions.

Cooperman said:

The recently publish WG strategy for EV charging, states that they estimate that we will need between 30 to 55 thousand fast chargers and a further 4 thousand rapid chargers by 2030. The main issue is as I see it, is that if these figures are correct and the infrastructure is not in place or indeed is inadequate for the demand, it is going to severely affect demand for E vehicles, eg. If drivers are not going to be able to charge their vehicles as and when required, and without delay, it's going to a problem, and as now will put people off. So it's over to strapped cash Councils to come up with the goods.Although I'm assuming that private companies could be set up to help build, run and manage a certain % of the network required, either way it's going to take cash and a lot of planning to get it spot on. As has been said I think we are quite a way off what is required to make it a success. Could be wrong of course.

monmouth said:
And in purchase unaffordability for most people?

Ps Coops, where do the 15% stats come from? I have a research interest in this and I’ve seen some wildly different assertions.

It was on a slide from one of the strategy guys. The figure is pure EV and excludes hybrids.

Jack2jack said:
The recently publish WG strategy for EV charging, states that they estimate that we will need between 30 to 55 thousand fast chargers and a further 4 thousand rapid chargers by 2030. The main issue is as I see it, is that if these figures are correct and the infrastructure is not in place or indeed is inadequate for the demand, it is going to severely affect demand for E vehicles, eg. If drivers are not going to be able to charge their vehicles as and when required, and without delay, it's going to a problem, and as now will put people off. So it's over to strapped cash Councils to come up with the goods.Although I'm assuming that private companies could be set up to help build, run and manage a certain % of the network required, either way it's going to take cash and a lot of planning to get it spot on. As has been said I think we are quite a way off what is required to make it a success. Could be wrong of course.

Most people who currently use EV’s don’t need fast chargers as they charge from home, if i was doing higher mileage than i currently do (about 50 miles a day Mon-Fri and 150-200 on the weekend) I would not be using an EV I have a Tesla so i can currently benefit from the Tesla network on my travels should i need a charge.

Rural areas of Wales are pretty poorly serviced with public chargers compared to Scotland and England. It will be an issue in the future with street chargers required for the majority of housing in Wales which doesn’t have off street parking.

Pacemaker said:
I would never go back to ICE vehicles, I wake up every day with a full “tank of fuel” i have saved a fortune on fuel compared to my petrol bill prior to going electric.

I have solar panels and a battery in my garage, i charge my car first then store the remaining power to run my house, I have not yet used a paid for charger, i recently spent a few days in the Cotswolds, i chose a hotel with EV charging, i charged my car for free every night, travelled around the area the following day for free then charged up again for the next days travelling. I drove over to Blenheim Palace then back home to Baglan on a free charge from the hotel.

As ECB has said i think it very unlikely that any Govt will actually stop the sale of ICE vehicles in 2030 but by then the fuel cost might be prohibitive for most people anyway.

Depends on you situation though. Factor in the purchase/lease costs and it’s not so free. I’d probably go electric when we change our runaround, but with no payments on either of our cars and not many miles a month it’s far cheaper and environmentally better to stay as we are fir now. We’ve got solar panel though, so a battery in the garage and an EV will be a no brainer eventually.

A slight tangent but I understand Swansea are commencing a small trial of hydrogen-fueled buses.

Meanwhile Rowan Atkinson, an EV owner for over a decade, kind of says the whole EV revolution is environmentally a bit shyte.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/03/electric-vehicles-early-adopter-petrol-car-ev-environment-rowan-atkinson?utm_term=647c3675ebe0c45941175ccc6c14332b&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email

Blackburn Rovers v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back