• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

FAO Dr Parsnip

So what happened this time then? What’s he on the naughty step for?

AceJack said:

No idea. Must have missed something.

If he comes back denying the US Civil War was due to slavery, this is an extract from a speech by Alexander Stevens, the confederate vice president just prior to the start of the war with the firing on Fort Sumter

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science."

And they deny the flag is a symbol racism.

AceJack said:

I dunno, but I've heard a rumour that he's trying to convince his local Kangaroo that he's 100% right in everything he says, but the Kangaroo ain't having any of it, it's been over 32hrs now with neither giving way, Australian TV are on the scene :lol:

Professor said:
AceJack said:

If he comes back denying the US Civil War was due to slavery, this is an extract from a speech by Alexander Stevens, the confederate vice president just prior to the start of the war with the firing on Fort Sumter

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science."

Not to be seen in even slight agreement with that individual, but the Civil war was a melting pot of complexities far more than just slavery. I will go as far as to say that I don't think many of the top generals cared either way for its abolition, but it worked fantastically as a recruitment tool to garner support.

IMO, economics 'caused' the war far more than anything else, as was ever thus.

JustJack said:
Professor said:

Not to be seen in even slight agreement with that individual, but the Civil war was a melting pot of complexities far more than just slavery. I will go as far as to say that I don't think many of the top generals cared either way for its abolition, but it worked fantastically as a recruitment tool to garner support.

The US civil war was fought to bring the seceded states back into the union. Those states seceded due to slavery. Anything else is revisionism.

JustJack said:
Professor said:

Gee if only there was some way to find out what the south’s economic model was based on?

exiledclaseboy said:
JustJack said:

The US civil war was fought to bring the seceded states back into the union. Those states seceded due to slavery. Anything else is revisionism.

They seceded because they were being crippled economically by the policies of the now heavily industrial north states, who were pillaging their supply of cotton supplied by the slave trade, but opposing its ability to grow or spread (not be abolished entirely).

It's been a while and the ol' book is a lil dusty but that was my general understanding of the events.

Of course you can then talk about the period after the war and the 'Reconstruction' period, which historians argue was a failure.

In 1876 the Republicans all but gave up fighting for the 13th amendment, the subsquent protection of the black population and conditions returned to as they were some 20 years previous, albeit in a different legal context.

History will always be revised.

JustJack said:
exiledclaseboy said:

They seceded because they were being crippled economically by the policies of the now heavily industrial north states, who were pillaging their supply of cotton supplied by the slave trade, but opposing its ability to grow or spread (not be abolished entirely).

It's been a while and the ol' book is a lil dusty but that was my general understanding of the events.

Of course you can then talk about the period after the war and the 'Reconstruction' period, which historians argue was a failure.

In 1876 the Republicans all but gave up fighting for the 13th amendment, the subsquent protection of the black population and conditions returned to as they were some 20 years previous, albeit in a different legal context.

History will always be revised.

So they seceded over slavery. As I said.

JustJack said:
Professor said:

It's a revisionism. Whilst State rights and other factors were involved, the overwhelming reason was over slavery. The current historical view is this. From the reconstruction on, there has been a desire not to make the south look racist and willing to go to war over slavery. Modern historians are less complicit. It may be individuals (certainly Robert Lee) were not pro-slavery, but the war was very much that.

I'm not one for videos but this from the former Professor of Military History at West Point says it extremely well:

https://youtu.be/pcy7qV-BGF4

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back