• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

FAO Ebo

Professor

Tommy Hutchison
Reaction score
Stereolab fan? There are some McCarthy re-releases coming out on Optic Nerve records which may interest you...

Professor said:
Stereolab fan? There are some McCarthy re-releases coming out on Optic Nerve records which may interest you...

I am a huge fan of the groop. Been collecting the vinyls for a few years now and have all the re-issues with the OBI master tape wraparounds, the switched on comps plus I managed to score the First of the microbe hunters min album off discgogs just before the pandemic hit us.

It's a never ending search for stuff as they are a record collectors dream.

I have yet to get Laetetia's stuff on vinyl or Tim's band Caverns of Anti-matter but will do soon. I have a few old vinyl singles as well.

Sean O'hagans band The High Llamas are worth checking out too.

I have never been the biggest fan of Mcarthy although their best album was the last one where Laetitia had joined.

There is so much stuff I am finding every week with collaborations/ep's etc..

I got to see them last year in Bristol having missed them on their last tour 11 years ago when they played Clwb after is was moved from the now defunct Coal Exchange,

Ebo said:
Professor said:

I am a huge fan of the groop. Been collecting the vinyls for a few years now and have all the re-issues with the OBI master tape wraparounds, the switched on comps plus I managed to score the First of the microbe hunters min album off discgogs just before the pandemic hit us.

I have yet to get Laetetia's stuff on vinyl or Tim's band Caverns of Anti-matter but will do soon. I have a few old vinyl singles as well.

I have never been the biggest fan of Mcarthy although their best album was the last one where Laetitia had joined.

I got to see them last year in Bristol having missed them on their last tour 11 years ago when they played Clwb after is was moved from the now defunct Coal Exchange,

Not a massive fan like you-have a couple of the early LPs and singles and some Too Pure compilations, but an interesting band. The Optic Nerve releases are pretty nice-have a few 7inches (The Loft, Even as we Speak and the Wedding Present). Coloured vinyl with a postcard and poster. The guy who runs it seems a nice chap.

Professor said:
Ebo said:
Professor said:

Not a massive fan like you-have a couple of the early LPs and singles and some Too Pure compilations, but an interesting band. The Optic Nerve releases are pretty nice-have a few 7inches (The Loft, Even as we Speak and the Wedding Present). Coloured vinyl with a postcard and poster. The guy who runs it seems a nice chap.

I asked Pikey (Martin Pike the bands manager- not the infamous you know who) if there was plans for a Switched on vols 4&5 and he said that there are plans for the end of this year - he told me this in January so with what's gone on lately this has probably been set back a bit, But it is anticipated that these will include the Peel sessions and ABC sessions as well.

I would recommend Sound Dust and Margerine Eclipse as an introduction to theit latter stuff. That way you will get into Dots and Loops and Cobra and Phases groop play votlage in the milky night. Chemical Chords is probably their least favoutite LP and the tracks that didn't make it appeared on Not Music which is a better album IMHO.

Will bear in mind those releases you mentioned as I know a few that would appreciate grabbing them.

Do you like Teenage Fanclub as well Prof?

New album coming soon!

Ebo said:

New album coming soon!

I do. Everything Flows is one of my Top10 songs

What's the best stereolab album ?

The only one I have is dots and loops

Best_loser said:

I have Peng! and the Switched On compilation .

Best_loser said:

That’s a tough one. Up until Emperor Tomato ketchup and Mars Audiac Quintet it was pretty much Krautrock.

Peng - Krautrock
Switched on vols 1&2 - Krautrock
Emperor Tomato ketchup - Krautrock
Mars Audiac Quintet - Krautrock
Space age batchelor pad music - experimental
Cobra and Phases - mix of Latin / electronica / jazz / lounge
Dots and loops - ditto
Margerine eclipse - all of the above
Sound Dust - all of the above
Chemical chords - more electronic stuff

I would give Margerine eclipse and sound dust a go or maybe cobra and phases if you’ve heard the earlier stuff

Professor said:
Ebo said:

New album coming soon!

Grand Prix and Bandwagonesque are hard to beat. My friend Stevie had Gerard Love play on two of his albums.

Ebo said:
Professor said:

Grand Prix and Bandwagonesque are hard to beat. My friend Stevie had Gerard Love play on two of his albums.

Always think they would have been huge if 13 was not so mediocre. Seemed to lose commercial momentum from Bandwagonesque. Grand Prix is a great record though. Been listening to a bit of Big Star recently too.

Professor said:
Ebo said:

Always think they would have been huge if 13 was not so mediocre. Seemed to lose commercial momentum from Bandwagonesque. Grand Prix is a great record though. Been listening to a bit of Big Star recently too.

They are highly influenced by Alex Chilton without a shadow of a doubt.

Songs from northern Britain and Shadows are good LP’s though.

Have you heard Gerard loves band Lightships?

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back