• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Flu Jab

jack123 said:
Professor said:
Sorry. That’s complete rubbish. There are some years the vaccine is less effective . Influenza A is an orthomyxovirus. Like coronaviruses it has an RNA not DNA genome. However, it is a lot more variable. It has two main proteins which an immune response is made to -haemagglutin or H and neuraminadase or N.
There are multiple variants of each which are also used to type the virus e.g. H1N1,
H5N1 etc. Although different types are associated with specific hosts like chickens, pigs or humans, we are affected by a number of variants. Each year virologists have to predict the best combination to work that year. Most of the time they are right. But it’s not a precise science and some years it is less effective than others if they pick the wrong protein or antigen. Even then there
Is some protection. At worst it does nothing.

Vaccination is the best tool against infection.

Well that's what I have read! But fair enough reply, so tell me something why the hell has the age dropped from 65 to 50?

And if you do respond, please speak in laymans terms,

Ok. So flu is caused by a family of influenza viruses. Most cases are cause by type A, with fewer from B and C . On the outside of the virus are the two proteins that we make an immune response to- H and N. These vary.
There are 18 different type of H and 11 of N in influenza A- Nearly 200 different possibilities and even each subgroup has differences.

So to make a vaccine scientists on a panel organised by WHO make a decision On which types to include in the vaccine (usually four) which are a mix of A and B types.
As squarebear says this is early in the year to allow formulation and production of a vaccine. Most flu vaccines are inactivated virus which either is grown in cell cultures in the lab or in embryonated chicken eggs. This is the time consuming part.

So if the panel are right in their choices, the vaccine gives about 60% protection against infection. If they are wrong this drops to around 20-30%. It is certainly not going to make infection worse. A small number of people get a mild flu-like illness after vaccination-the immune response can be a bit too strong at the start. I have had this once, but feels like a 2 day hangover rather than feeling like you have gone 10 rounds with Tyson Fury for a month.

We (not me specifically but we are looking at a new way of giving vaccines) are trying to find universal Flu vaccines- that protect without needing to change annually, but like everything else in research it has had and having a hiatus whilst
Much of the effort and money is currently thrown at Covid. We have had 17 weeks out of the lab. One person has started back this week. We can only work at half capacity for the rest of the year now. The vaccine will help- it will reduce demand on the NHS through winter.

I've had the flu jab for over 10 years because I take immunosuppressants. In that time I've had the flu once and was in Singleton for 5 days. The consultant told me that if I hadn't had the jab I might not have survived. I have never had a reaction to the jab. I'm 63.

jack123 said:
Professor said:
Sorry. That’s complete rubbish. There are some years the vaccine is less effective . Influenza A is an orthomyxovirus. Like coronaviruses it has an RNA not DNA genome. However, it is a lot more variable. It has two main proteins which an immune response is made to -haemagglutin or H and neuraminadase or N.
There are multiple variants of each which are also used to type the virus e.g. H1N1,
H5N1 etc. Although different types are associated with specific hosts like chickens, pigs or humans, we are affected by a number of variants. Each year virologists have to predict the best combination to work that year. Most of the time they are right. But it’s not a precise science and some years it is less effective than others if they pick the wrong protein or antigen. Even then there
Is some protection. At worst it does nothing.

Vaccination is the best tool against infection.
There has been no age limit.Anyone who wants one could have had one.

Well that's what I have read! But fair enough reply, so tell me something why the hell has the age dropped from 65 to 50?

J_B said:
I've had the flu jab for over 10 years because I take immunosuppressants. In that time I've had the flu once and was in Singleton for 5 days. The consultant told me that if I hadn't had the jab I might not have survived. I have never had a reaction to the jab. I'm 63.

Same reason for me. I’ve not had flu since I was a teenager and that was not pleasant. I would definitely not want it now I’m 67.

controversial_jack said:
jack123 said:
There has been no age limit.Anyone who wants one could have had one.

I have had the flu jab in the past at my surgery. I just rang up, booked it and bingo.I haven't had it for years though.I'm not really a fan of vaccines, although I will take my chance if we have a covid one

Ive had one every year since the beginning of program as company sourced them. Over the last 25+ years i can recall very minor issues a headache (not Stella strength) or 2 after a couple of days and a sore arm,i feel pathetic stating that. Last year i had no symptoms whatsoever.

Professor said:
jack123 said:

Ok. So flu is caused by a family of influenza viruses. Most cases are cause by type A, with fewer from B and C . On the outside of the virus are the two proteins that we make an immune response to- H and N. These vary.
There are 18 different type of H and 11 of N in influenza A- Nearly 200 different possibilities and even each subgroup has differences.

So to make a vaccine scientists on a panel organised by WHO make a decision On which types to include in the vaccine (usually four) which are a mix of A and B types.
As squarebear says this is early in the year to allow formulation and production of a vaccine. Most flu vaccines are inactivated virus which either is grown in cell cultures in the lab or in embryonated chicken eggs. This is the time consuming part.

So if the panel are right in their choices, the vaccine gives about 60% protection against infection. If they are wrong this drops to around 20-30%. It is certainly not going to make infection worse. A small number of people get a mild flu-like illness after vaccination-the immune response can be a bit too strong at the start. I have had this once, but feels like a 2 day hangover rather than feeling like you have gone 10 rounds with Tyson Fury for a month.

We (not me specifically but we are looking at a new way of giving vaccines) are trying to find universal Flu vaccines- that protect without needing to change annually, but like everything else in research it has had and having a hiatus whilst
Much of the effort and money is currently thrown at Covid. We have had 17 weeks out of the lab. One person has started back this week. We can only work at half capacity for the rest of the year now. The vaccine will help- it will reduce demand on the NHS through winter.

Thank you for the explanation, I don't feel overly concerned about taking it now.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back