• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Flynn Downes yesterday

Dr. Winston said:
Been hanging around with Matt Grimes too much.

You can see that he wants to be aggressive and ambitious on the ball, but gets sucked into the same, ultra cautious style.

We can't go into games with a Smith, Grimes Downes midfield. Allied to the way we've starter overdoing the passing back there and teams are learning that they can pressurise us into making mistakes. We have to move the ball forward more quickly. Break the lines more quickly. The few times we did it yesterday Forest started panicking.
Was told at the game yesterday by someone who talked to Downes at the stadium this week, he would love to spend more time getting forward but that Martin has told him it's a no go and wants him to sit deep.

Cooperman said:
swan65split said:
I think he is our Fer and Jonjo .

But with an engine to go full gas for 90 minutes.

Should be this sides Darren Pratley, a box to box player that weighs in with goals .

cmajack said:
Cooperman said:

Should be this sides Darren Pratley, a box to box player that weighs in with goals .

We could have done with a few Pratley moments yesterday.

cmajack said:
Dr. Winston said:
Been hanging around with Matt Grimes too much.

You can see that he wants to be aggressive and ambitious on the ball, but gets sucked into the same, ultra cautious style.

We can't go into games with a Smith, Grimes Downes midfield. Allied to the way we've starter overdoing the passing back there and teams are learning that they can pressurise us into making mistakes. We have to move the ball forward more quickly. Break the lines more quickly. The few times we did it yesterday Forest started panicking.
Was told at the game yesterday by someone who talked to Downes at the stadium this week, he would love to spend more time getting forward but that Martin has told him it's a no go and wants him to sit deep.

Interesting. I thought we looked much better in the first half when Downes was bursting through their midfield like they weren't there and feeding balls to Ntcham & Pato amongst others when we were at least as good as Forest and had them on the back foot for longish periods and maybe should have gone in at least a goal up but for some poor finshing. He didn't do it so much in the 2nd half so maybe at HT, RM had told him off and to stay deep as instructed. Hmmm, that worked well, didn't it, well done RM, a master tactical stroke.

cmajack said:
Cooperman said:

I like Downes & think he'll be an excellent signing for us but he does seem allergic to shooting.

Jinxy said:
The handbags incident apart (as said, another ref may have sent him off), I thought he was one of a tiny few that did well yesterday. I like players who generally have a "red card" in them - shows they usually have passion and get stuck in.

I'm a Grimes fan, but he irritated me yesterday. Too often he returns to our box to collect the ball, where Downes is literally better placed and able to do so, thereby making himself unavailable to receive the ball in midfield! Agree with more balls played to those making a run too - we need to mix it up more. Too predictable atm.

Watched from above no runners, Grimes played front of the diamond early doors Smith way to slow and no outlets.

Manselton Jack said:
cmajack said:

I like Downes & think he'll be an excellent signing for us but he does seem allergic to shooting.

When your manager tells you to stay deep, you're not going to get many opportunities to shoot and if you don't get many opportunities and hence don't build up the experience of shooting, then shooting is unlikely to be your first option. I know this from personal experience having been a RW as a teenager but became a box to box midfielder when I moved into senior football and had far fewer shooting opportunities so my shooting never really developed. Did Downes score many at Ipswich?

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back