• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Getting through the day

I truly believe that exercise is key to fighting these types of issues. I’ve had my bouts with what I would call ‘mild’ depression and especially anxiety. I still suffer from anxiety now. I’ve tried many things, medication included, but nothing has come close to running outdoors for me. I’ve always done some form of exercise, indoor bike, indoor rowing, weights, gym...all indoors. One day I took the plunge to get out there and have a run, I was mortified by it, but you soon get over it...and you will become addicted to the feeling (which has its own problems lol).

As others have said, get out there and have a walk. Have a jog if you feel comfortable enough. Breathing in the fresh air, seeing the world move around you, saying hello or smiling to strangers...it sounds ridiculous really but when you get home you will sit back and be chuffed that you went out. I don’t think that you can ever eradicate those times that you feel down or anxious, but you can give them a bloody good battle.

All the best, Banos.

My wife struggled with depression after bullying at work. She was a senior community dietician and basically cracked after about a year of increasing unhappiness. She had 4 months off, then resigned. Made life extremely difficult financially and coping withe two, then, small children. Citalopram helped her initially, but counselling sessions, a good camping holiday in France and more time with our son who was very young still eventually helped her back to a better place. She began volunteering at primary school, then was offered some paid lunchtime supervision sessions. She then decided to undertake NVQ in learning support and was offered a teaching assistant role. She has been doing that for about 8 years now. Pay is crap, but she loves it and has largely fitted family life well-which allowed me more flexibility in work and to promotion. She still has days when its not so great and problems with our son when he moved to secondary school (late diagnosed autism and selective mutism) gave us both a wobble, but getting his formal diagnosis and support in place became something of a crusade for her and we got past that.

I really sympathise with you. It's horrible for everyone. Counselling is a help if you can access it and perhaps a new activity may help focus you.

Good luck and best wishes.

As builthy has stated a top poster (me😁) is staying over the weekend in the premier inn.

If you want to meet up pm me mate, I have the uncanny knack of making people laugh😉

Both my wives had a spell on citalopram to help them through divorce, and it did seem to help, but that was circumstantial depression. It doesn't sound like that is where Bano is at, sadly.

I'm no stranger to feelings of depression, though writing this is as close as I ever come to verbalising them.

Anyway, of all the chores on my list, I loathe mowing the lawn. I really bloody hate it. But when I have finished I feel a million dollars. What's that all about?

Darran said:
BanosSwan said:
Hi guys, I often struggle to get up in the morning due to depression/anxiety.

How do I get through the day?

Cockles are good. Full of vitamins.

Roma’s in Penclawdd do them in batter. Enough to make anyone smile. Probably give you the shits after but a small price to pay.

karnataka said:
BanosSwan said:
I'd argue that meds don't work. I've had top levels of citalalopram, sertraline (twice as much as the batman killer in Denver), fluoxetine and now duloxetine.

I still struggle to get up.

I do because I need to earn for my family, when there's work on offer.

May to September, no work because of coronavirus. I lay in bed until 4/5 pm. I don't bathe for at least a week at a time.
I argue with my wife that I'm ok, I'm not.

Meds are not the long term solution but can help to keep things under some sort of control. DJack has covered some of the other suggestions I could make but counselling is the best way forward IMO, talking to someone professional who understands your condition, because no matter how well meaning friends & relatives may be, they won't understand unless they've been there themselves.

Good luck mate.

Finding a good Therapist is another matter, so many out there who really are not up to much, it can be quite expensive wasting money on them, unless you get lucky and find a good one.

Get back to nature. Now that certain places are not so busy, jump into a car and drive out to the coast or countryside.
Observe what is going on around you. It may be the wind, it may be the waves, it may be the flight of a bird, it may be the stillness of a tree, it may be the clouds moving, it may be the sun trying to break through a cloud......all these things make you realise how insignificant we really are to the planet.
This Earth will continue to tick over regardless of us.
It makes me smile and my worries seem so insignificant.
Whether I'm here worrying or not the planet still will turn.
So I just smile and crack on.

dickythorpe said:
Get back to nature. Now that certain places are not so busy, jump into a car and drive out to the coast or countryside.
Observe what is going on around you. It may be the wind, it may be the waves, it may be the flight of a bird, it may be the stillness of a tree, it may be the clouds moving, it may be the sun trying to break through a cloud......all these things make you realise how insignificant we really are to the planet.

There are a shed full of sloes about this year Dicky, the area around Porthclais Harbour in St David’s is covered in them.👍

DJack said:
BanosSwan said:
I'd argue that meds don't work. I've had top levels of citalalopram, sertraline (twice as much as the batman killer in Denver), fluoxetine and now duloxetine.

I still struggle to get up.

I do because I need to earn for my family, when there's work on offer.

May to September, no work because of coronavirus. I lay in bed until 4/5 pm. I don't bathe for at least a week at a time.
I argue with my wife that I'm ok, I'm not.

May I politely suggest that you get off your arse...

& get some fresh air via a walk - thinking time, time to appreciate what you do have. Do some streuous exercise a few days a week, use your calm app and look into CBT, occasionally treat yourself.

Additionally if you have some spare cash pay for some couselling.

All the best.

That's good advice.. also I will say take on some jobs that need doing around the house or garden, I'm not a great fan, but I know, once completed I feel good.

Hope you feel a little bit better soon..

I

dickythorpe said:

Well said that man.

dickythorpe said:

Great post, Better Call you Dylan, not Dicky.. all jokes aside, one of the best posts I have ever seen!

Night down The Colliers Banos with Pows, Clarky, Kev Mac, Posty, Twisty and the boys. That will raise your spirits

dickythorpe said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zLLPsGoBtF8

Made me think of this

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back