• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

KOREY SMITH | THE BOYS HAVE SHOWN REAL CHARACTER

Official Site News

Lee Trundle
Reaction score
Source: Swansea Official Site

Korey Smith believes character and grit have played a big part in Swansea City occupying an automatic promotion place early in 2021.

The midfielder laid on a pair of assists against Watford at the weekend as Steve Cooper’s side climbed to second in the table.

That followed on from wins over Barnsley and Queens Park Rangers, and a draw against Reading over the festive period.

Despite the challenges of a compacted schedule due to the delay to the end of last season amidst the coronavirus pandemic, the Swans have consistently put points on the board over the first half of the campaign.

There remains a long way to go but, having come through a period between mid-October and mid-December where Championship sides played every weekend and midweek – aside from the November international break – Smith feels Swansea have shown resilience.

“It was important to win at the weekend because we had played really well against Reading – another team who are up there – and did not get the win, which frustrated us,” he said.

“But we showed real character, to come back from a goal down, also having to make the late change when Joel (Latibeaudiere) got injured in the warm-up.

“We dealt with those setbacks, and were still able to produce a really strong performance and get a result.

“I think we have had that character and fighting spirit so far. I am proud of how the boys have been playing in recent games.”

Smith – who joined the Swans from Bristol City in August, also feels Cooper’s side are starting to show the sort of attacking football they can play.

“There’s a long way to go, we’ve been though a few tough spells where the games have been coming thick and fast, and I am sure there have been times when it’s maybe not been the prettiest football to watch,” he added.

““We have found ways to win and ground results out, but I think in the last week or so you have started to see some of the football we are capable of playing.

“We have played some lovely stuff, created some great chances and got the results. I was happy to be able to do my bit and be involved in the two in this win.

“The big thing is to keep going.”

Watford%2024_0.jpg

Korey has himself really stepped up these last few games so all credit to him. To be honest, I didn't think a midfield of Grimes, Fulton & Smith would work as I always felt we needed someone with more attacking intent, a proper number 10, and none of those 3 really fits that role but they have been excellent together. It's probably Fulton & Smith's work rate that makes the difference and together they looked like they outnumbered the Watford midfield on Saturday. Good stuff.

karnataka said:
Korey has himself really stepped up these last few games so all credit to him. To be honest, I didn't think a midfield of Grimes, Fulton & Smith would work as I always felt we needed someone with more attacking intent, a proper number 10, and none of those 3 really fits that role but they have been excellent together. It's probably Fulton & Smith's work rate that makes the difference and together they looked like they outnumbered the Watford midfield on Saturday. Good stuff.

Completely agree, in the reading game in particular, the way Smith slotted into either wing back position to allow them to push on was impressive

Both Guehi and Bidewell both pushed up to support the attacking play well. Guehi playing on the right, which he has done in the England u21, seemed to suit him, Cabanago holding it together. Another formation that other teams would have to work out,which Watford were unable to do.

I'm not sure about the narrative that it's only in the last few games that Smith has started playing well. He's put in some good performances in games throughout the season, although he has had some crap ones too.

Dr. Winston said:
I'm not sure about the narrative that it's only in the last few games that Smith has started playing well. He's put in some good performances in games throughout the season, although he has had some crap ones too.

We’re obviously managing his injuries pretty well too. He’s made 21 appearances for us with 4 assists already. He only made 22 across the whole of last season with Bristol City.

Along with Bennett, he’s brought the additional experience and leadership we’ve been missing for a number of years

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back