• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Massive Food Price Rises

Epaul said:
Douwe Egberts coffee £6 last week £9.30 this week in Morrisons, where the f**k is the justification for such a hike

£5,79 in B&M

https://www.trolley.co.uk/product/douwe-egberts-pure-gold-instant-coffee/HJY607

jack123 said:
£5,79 in B&M

https://www.trolley.co.uk/product/douwe-egberts-pure-gold-instant-coffee/HJY607
Its all about the mark up and how much they can get away with, if you've got the time it's worth shopping around. Not always that simple or convenient mind.
The other thing that pisses me of is this Tesco club card discount, whereby if you havent got one, you're paying more, how can they justify that. We all know that the clubcard is much more than what it seems, but come on be fair. And yes I have a clubcard, had one for years. The missus does our shop and is way more savvy than me, when it come to picking up bargains etc.🙂

Epaul said:
Douwe Egberts coffee £6 last week £9.30 this week in Morrisons, where the f**k is the justification for such a hike

Don't let Warwick see that you drink instant coffee 😂

Jack2jack said:
Its all about the mark up and how much they can get away with, if you've got the time it's worth shopping around. Not always that simple or convenient mind.
The other thing that pisses me of is this Tesco club card discount, whereby if you havent got one, you're paying more, how can they justify that. We all know that the clubcard is much more than what it seems, but come on be fair. And yes I have a clubcard, had one for years. The missus does our shop and is way more savvy than me, when it come to picking up bargains etc.🙂

Asda are the same with their rewards app, especially the star products, they mark it up a couple of quid, and then give it back to you via the rewards app.

Also have to watch iceland, they have some sort of bonus card, but i don't think any normal shop adds anything to it, but I have noticed some items are way more expensive unless you scan the card or app.

Aldis are ones to watch as well, yes they are cheap, but I have noticed most of their products are creeping up not far off the branded price.

Extra Mature Cheddar in there used to be dirt cheap compared to the branded stuff, but now, not much difference.

https://www.trolley.co.uk/product/emporium-british-extra-mature-cheddar-cheese/QUP739

Compared to https://www.trolley.co.uk/product/cathedral-city-our-extra-mature-cheddar/WTL373

Before all the increases, there was at least a quid difference in price on these products.

jack123 said:
Asda are the same with their rewards app, especially the star products, they mark it up a couple of quid, and then give it back to you via the rewards app.

Also have to watch iceland, they have some sort of bonus card, but i don't think any normal shop adds anything to it, but I have noticed some items are way more expensive unless you scan the card or app.

Aldis are ones to watch as well, yes they are cheap, but I have noticed most of their products are creeping up not far off the branded price.

Extra Mature Cheddar in there used to be dirt cheap compared to the branded stuff, but now, not much difference.

https://www.trolley.co.uk/product/emporium-british-extra-mature-cheddar-cheese/QUP739

Compared to https://www.trolley.co.uk/product/cathedral-city-our-extra-mature-cheddar/WTL373

Before all the increases, there was at least a quid difference in price on these products.
Its all a big con. They know it, we know it.

Jack2jack said:
Its all a big con. They know it, we know it.

Yes, and some are blatant, I just remembered that Morrisons were absolutely horrendous to use for delivery when covid hit, it was pretty hard to get a delivery anywhere, so ended up going for Morrisons, the ferkas must have added about 15 quid to the bill with subs, every product they subbed from a value range was the most expensive, went to the store and all they said was, bring it back when covid was over..

Not that I use a delivery service now, but I'm sure Asda back 2020, if the product was unavailable and they subbed it, you would get charged the price you clicked on.

MajorR said:
That’s radio rental- just extortionate. I don’t shop in Tesco if I can help it, probably been in our local store twice this year. Normally it’s Lidl, Aldi (although I’ve noticed their prices have gone up) and a local fruiterer for fresh produce.

I use a lot of fuel, over the last few days diesel in our local independent is 139.9, in Tesco Carmarthen it was 146.9, Tesco Llanelli was 141.9 and in Swansea it’s 149.9. The independent is 10p per litre cheaper than Tesco Swansea ( approx 45p a gallon for us oldies) so if you’re filling up it’s a good fiver difference. Pays to shop around!

What also annoyed me was the price cut in bread/butter yesterday- as soon as 1 chain decided they could do it they all decided they could afford it - were defo being taken for a ride!
Diesel in Tesco Cardigan £1.37 yeaterday, in Tesco Pontardawe £1.53, thats close on 80p a gallon more

I think this may have something to do with it

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/may/12/tesco-boss-earned-almost-45m-in-2022-despite-profits-halving#:~:text=His%20basic%20salary%20rose%201.7,over%20the%20next%20three%20years.

alltjack said:
Diesel in Tesco Cardigan £1.37 yeaterday, in Tesco Pontardawe £1.53, thats close on 80p a gallon more

That’s outrageous. There’s a Competition and Markets Authority review currently being carried out in relation to supermarket prices and fuel prices. They’ve identified that 1 supermarket has increased its margins and they’re investigating, but they’re not saying which one. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Should be name and shame. They need to break things up a bit as there’s no competition.

Jack2jack said:
That's outrageous Bryn.
We picked up a small punnet of blackberries today, there's about 12 in the pack. £2.30 they were. Price of food is ridiculous, problem is that prices wont fall significantly anytime soon if at all, even though fuel prices have fallen and energy price cap is due to be reduced in July, we are fecked.
Probably sums it all up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230516-102854_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230516-102854_Chrome.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 599
If you voted Brexit you have no place being outraged by the price of anything. Most of it is imported from the EU and paid for in dollars. The pound is about 30% down on the dollar compared to before Brexit. You have no place expecting the supermarkets to absorb the inflated prices you imposed on us.

Thankfully....and mercifully...seemingly, the only thing that hasn't gone up in price in supermarkets is alcohol....wine still starts from about £4:50 a bottle, cans still at £4 for 4 or so....

Seems that the Illuminati just want to keep us all pished

BrynCartwright said:
Thankfully....and mercifully...seemingly, the only thing that hasn't gone up in price in supermarkets is alcohol....wine still starts from about £4:50 a bottle, cans still at £4 for 4 or so....

Seems that the Illuminati just want to keep us all pished

That's all to do with the minimum price for alcohol in Wales that Dickford and his loonies introduced. Look at the prices in England for a true reflection if alcohol prices have risen. Just after the Reading game at Christmas I brought back a load of Stowford Press cider back at £6 for 10 cans, so no increase then (the same pack was around £9.60 in Wales).

Yesterday a pack of 'budget' blueberries were 99p in Tesco Bont.....today they are £1.59!!...That is a 60% ish rise....I like them in my breakfast yogurt, so it is most unwelcome in the Cartwright household...

I defy anyone on PS to beat that as an example of how expensive things are quickly becoming...
It's concerning how food prices just keep going up, isn't it? It feels like every time we go grocery shopping, we're shelling out more and more. To cope, I've been trying to cook at home as much as possible. I recently stumbled upon this website called https://cookscrafter.com/ , and it's been a lifesaver. They have tons of recipes that are not only delicious but also budget-friendly. I think the key is to get a bit creative with our meals and maybe try out some new ingredients. Have you tried any new recipes lately? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas to shake up our dinner routine. It's definitely a challenging time, but finding ways to save on food can really make a difference.

Last edited:

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back