• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

NHS nurses pay - undervalued again

Pentyrchjack

Tommy Hutchison
Reaction score
My wife joined the peaceful pay protest today outside the so called Welsh Parliament.

I had zero expectation that Boris would put his money where his mouth is, but this is a real p1ss poor show from Welsh Labour too who are hiding behind an official spokesperson’s meaningless statement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53664749

The same NHS that came to his rescue, when he feard he would not be around to see his child grow up. 💙

Pentyrchjack said:
My wife joined the peaceful pay protest today outside the so called Welsh Parliament.

I had zero expectation that Boris would put his money where his mouth is, but this is a real p1ss poor show from Welsh Labour too who are hiding behind an official spokesperson’s meaningless statement.

Just out of curiosity how much does a standard nurse earn. I know a few people who work in the care sector and the wage is woeful for what they do.

KrunchyKarrot said:
Pentyrchjack said:

Just out of curiosity how much does a standard nurse earn. I know a few people who work in the care sector and the wage is woeful for what they do.

Most nurses are on £24-30k, deputy sisters £30-35k, sisters and ward managers£35-40k.

In Britain, the wage difference between nurses and doctors is proportionately bigger than most developed countries.

Pentyrchjack said:
KrunchyKarrot said:

Most nurses are on £24-30k, deputy sisters £30-35k, sisters and ward managers£35-40k.

In Britain, the wage difference between nurses and doctors is proportionately bigger than most developed countries.

Thanks, what i dont understand is how can the nurse in the articleworking in IC earn less now? I thought they were out to get more money for the lower paid staff like porters and the old sen's. I just dont get it?

Pentyrchjack said:
KrunchyKarrot said:

Yes it is, and the care assistants who do the day to day care and nursing are on a lot less.Admittedly they don't have the quals, but they are in the real frontline.

KrunchyKarrot said:
Pentyrchjack said:

Thanks, what i dont understand is how can the nurse in the articleworking in IC earn less now? I thought they were out to get more money for the lower paid staff like porters and the old sen's. I just dont get it?

It’s because the differential between the lowest paid unskilled or semi skilled NHS workers and the skilled nurses has been closed. So higher paid nurses have got less of a real terms increase and unskilled / semi skilled have got more. This is a deliberately divisive pay policy because all NHS staff, irrespective of skill level, should catch up on all the years of austerity driven zero pay awards.

Given their collective bargaining power, I’m really surprised how meek the nursing unions are compared to, say, the rail unions who get deserved pay and conditions for their members.

As I said earlier though, Welsh Labour should be ashamed of itself and should be making a strong move to distance itself from the NHS pay policy of the Westminster Torres.

controversial_jack said:
Pentyrchjack said:

Yes it is, and the care assistants who do the day to day care and nursing are on a lot less.Admittedly they don't have the quals, but they are in the real frontline.

I can see why you say that although most nurses are frontline. My wife is a Sister and is nursing COVID palliative patients in their homes - that’s pretty front line without the protection of working in a hospital. The problem with comparing care workers’ pay with nurses’ pay is that it is divisive. All care workers, porters and nurses should be rewarded according to the important jobs they do.

Pentyrchjack said:
KrunchyKarrot said:

It’s because the differential between the lowest paid unskilled or semi skilled NHS workers and the skilled nurses has been closed. So higher paid nurses have got less of a real terms increase and unskilled / semi skilled have got more. This is a deliberately divisive pay policy because all NHS staff, irrespective of skill level, should catch up on all the years of austerity driven zero pay awards.

Given their collective bargaining power, I’m really surprised how meek the nursing unions are compared to, say, the rail unions who get deserved pay and conditions for their members.

As I said earlier though, Welsh Labour should be ashamed of itself and should be making a strong move to distance itself from the NHS pay policy of the Westminster Torres.
Ok now i understand, so what are the "lowest paid unskilled or semi skilled NHS workers " earning in the NHS? as most of the Care Homes are paying very low salaries for this work.

KrunchyKarrot said:
Pentyrchjack said:

Ok now i understand, so what are the "lowest paid unskilled or semi skilled NHS workers " earning in the NHS? as most of the Care Homes are paying very low salaries for this work.

This gives the current agenda for change rates and examples of the roles involved:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/working-health/working-nhs/nhs-pay-and-benefits/agenda-change-pay-rates

BanosSwan said:
KrunchyKarrot said:

This gives the current agenda for change rates and examples of the roles involved:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/working-health/working-nhs/nhs-pay-and-benefits/agenda-change-pay-rates

Healthcare assistants with a few years experience are on about £9.80 per hour

controversial_jack said:
BanosSwan said:

Healthcare assistants with a few years experience are on about £9.80 per hour

Tend to start on minimum wage, then get more as they complete their nvqs

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back