• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Rhodes

Neath_Jack

Alan Curtis
Reaction score
Some incredible video's on Twitter this evening, showing families (holidaymakers) fleeing from the fires over there.

Most getting evacuated off the island by boats.

Never seen anything like it before, awful.

https://twitter.com/bmay/status/1682799483858345986?s=46&t=C4Llgu9ErzzXsfKGJEriyQ

Scroll through the videos and comments in this thread.

Neath_Jack said:
https://twitter.com/bmay/status/1682799483858345986?s=46&t=C4Llgu9ErzzXsfKGJEriyQ

Scroll through the videos and comments in this thread.

I’m not on Twitter so can’t see the thread, but can imagine it’s full of bellends. It’s such a shame climate change has been politicised so much, as in reality it doesn’t give a f*ck about people’s political affiliations of their wish to be edgy on social media.

Neath_Jack said:
Some incredible video's on Twitter this evening, showing families (holidaymakers) fleeing from the fires over there.

Most getting evacuated off the island by boats.

Never seen anything like it before, awful.

Serious question, do you think the fires, spontaneously combusted without any man made help? What are they reporting on the weather, 40 degrees plus, so my question is do trees combust at that heat? I will give you the answer, no they don't.

jack123 said:
Serious question, do you think the fires, spontaneously combusted without any man made help? What are they reporting on the weather, 40 degrees plus, so my question is do trees combust at that heat? I will give you the answer, no they don't.

There are three components required for these fires:
1. A heat source
2. Fuel
3. Oxygen

None of us will ever know where #1 came from. It could be deliberate, it could also be a discarded cigarette, a BBQ spark or simply the heat of the sun striking an object. This initial small spark or flame is then fed by #2, rich in abundance due to the bone dry conditions and the fact that many trees contain flammable oils. Then, finally #3 where fire itself causes thermal movement which churns the air around and provides a natural fan to the flames. Also not forgetting the fact that the Greek isles are a naturally breezy place in the first instance.

Cooperman said:
There are three components required for these fires:
1. A heat source
2. Fuel
3. Oxygen

None of us will ever know where #1 came from. It could be deliberate, it could also be a discarded cigarette, a BBQ spark or simply the heat of the sun striking an object. This initial small spark or flame is then fed by #2, rich in abundance due to the bone dry conditions and the fact that many trees contain flammable oils. Then, finally #3 where fire itself causes thermal movement which churns the air around and provides a natural fan to the flames. Also not forgetting the fact that the Greek isles are a naturally breezy place in the first instance.
My daughter flew out there yesterday with her young family, she's fine at the moment, but said there are a some people sleeping in the reception of her hotel as their hotels have burned down. Said it was chaos in the airport yesterday when she arrived in Rhodes as hundreds of people could not be transferred to their hotels due to the fires.

jack123 said:

Why have you asked me that question? Where in my post suggested that was the case?

Instead of jumping down another of your weird rabbit holes, how about showing some compassion for those holidaymakers? You need to climb out of that dark place mate, it’s not good for you.

Hope everyone stays out of harms way and will be able to enjoy thier holiday unscathed 🙏

It's well known that it only takes a discarded bottle in woodland when the sun's rays are so strong to start a fire.

cmajack said:
My daughter flew out there yesterday with her young family, she's fine at the moment, but said there are a some people sleeping in the reception of her hotel as their hotels have burned down. Said it was chaos in the airport yesterday when she arrived in Rhodes as hundreds of people could not be transferred to their hotels due to the fires.

I am sorry to hear that. Frightening for both the parents and the children, I hope that some part of the holiday can be salvaged.

Thank you. She's just text me to say that jet2 are sending no more people there and also sending 5 empty aircraft out to bring people home. She said her hotel keeps losing power due to the fires and are unable to cook food there at the moment.

We’ve been to Rhodes quite a few times and stayed in the Lardos area 3 times. It’s a fabulous island with very nice, friendly people. I really feel for the locals and the holiday makers and hope that no one is hurt or dies due to this horrendous wildfire. Hopefully it can be resolved quickly and the islanders can get their fragile, tourist based economy back on track asap. Unfortunately wildfires break out quite often in the islands, not as bad as this admittedly, we’ve been in Cyprus a few times and seen helicopters carrying water to douse flames often.

Neath_Jack said:
Why have you asked me that question? Where in my post suggested that was the case?

Instead of jumping down another of your weird rabbit holes, how about showing some compassion for those holidaymakers? You need to climb out of that dark place mate, it’s not good for you.

Fair enough, but my post was in response to what Brendan May said, I just read the text without clicking on the link, and he seemed to go off on a climate rant. I have now clicked on the link, and also looked at the news, and I didn't realise how bad it was, and I hope everyone get's out safe and well.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back