• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Stoke first to pull the trigger

That job is a poison chalice.

He was on a good thing at Plymouth, could never understand why he jumped ship for the Stoke job.

He won’t have made a fortune from his playing career, so this is definitely about monetary gain. Probably tripled his wages by going to Stoke.
I'd like to think that a manager swaps clubs to try and better themselves. The resources at Stoke would a lot different to Plymouth.

It is a promotion of sorts and will come with an increase in wages. If he'd stayed at Plymouth and kept them up the chances are he'd have one or two interesting offers in the summer. as opposed to be out in the wilderness.

The problem is managers don't tend to get a lot of time in the Stoke hot seat.

I'd like to think that a manager swaps clubs to try and better themselves. The resources at Stoke would a lot different to Plymouth.

It is a promotion of sorts and will come with an increase in wages. If he'd stayed at Plymouth and kept them up the chances are he'd have one or two interesting offers in the summer. as opposed to be out in the wilderness.

The problem is managers don't tend to get a lot of time in the Stoke hot seat.
I don’t think he will be out of work for long, and I also don’t think his reputation will be tarnished by this. As you say, nobody survives for long at Stoke.

I don’t think he will be out of work for long, and I also don’t think his reputation will be tarnished by this. As you say, nobody survives for long at Stoke.
I hope not, he seems a decent manager.

Sure we were reported to have approached him summer 2023. Maybe one to look at again if things didn't work out with Luke, although hopefully they will

For some reason I always think of Stoke and QPR as our closest comparators in terms of how we've fared since being relegated - QPR because they came up with us and Stoke because they went down at the same time (and because their fans always tipped us for relegation every season we were in the Prem, like clockwork). With 62 seasons in the top flight compared to QPR's 23 and our nine, I imagine Stoke fans must be even more annoyed about the last few seasons than we are. I must say I have a visceral dislike for Stoke and the way they play football, whereas I often find QPR annoying but it comes and goes.

It's a bit strange when I look at fixtures against Stoke and QPR I don't get too excited. Probably chuck Preston and Millwall in there too

For some reason I always think of Stoke and QPR as our closest comparators in terms of how we've fared since being relegated - QPR because they came up with us and Stoke because they went down at the same time (and because their fans always tipped us for relegation every season we were in the Prem, like clockwork). With 62 seasons in the top flight compared to QPR's 23 and our nine, I imagine Stoke fans must be even more annoyed about the last few seasons than we are. I must say I have a visceral dislike for Stoke and the way they play football, whereas I often find QPR annoying but it comes and goes.

Agree on the Stoke thing.

Always felt there was a yin v yang thing going on there between us and them. Same sport but both represented complete polar opposites of how to go about it.

Always felt that refs were far too tolerant/lenient of their strongarm tactics whenever we played them - like there was a tacit acceptance that they couldn't live with us technically, so would be allowed to kick and foul and shirt pull to make up for it. For those reasons, those games probably wound me up more than any during our PL days.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back