• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Team GB for the 2028 Olympics football

Right smack at the start of the EFL season?
Mere weeks after the Euros (which all the nations will qualify for as host nations)?

Its as absurd an idea as it was for the olympics that were hosted by the UK.
That cost us several players for the first month or so of the season as we had to give them an opportunity to rest after the olympics were over

Right smack at the start of the EFL season?
Mere weeks after the Euros (which all the nations will qualify for as host nations)?

Its as absurd an idea as it was for the olympics that were hosted by the UK.
That cost us several players for the first month or so of the season as we had to give them an opportunity to rest after the olympics were over
We contributed Joe Allen, Neil Taylor & Scott Sinclair to that squad!! Think it was only Neil that returned to us the following season? Sinclair f’ed off to Man City & Joe to Liverpool or am I wrong?…. Still 3 players in that squad is an achievement for us to be proud of. But it’s a no from me too I can’t get the enthusiasm for a team GB.

No thanks. Off you pop.
The headline makes the suggestion that it's back on the table, then the lead makes it clear that it isn't on the table as it will need (as always) the agreement of all 4 FA's and (as always) they won't get it.

We contributed Joe Allen, Neil Taylor & Scott Sinclair to that squad!! Think it was only Neil that returned to us the following season? Sinclair f’ed off to Man City & Joe to Liverpool or am I wrong?…. Still 3 players in that squad is an achievement for us to be proud of. But it’s a no from me too I can’t get the enthusiasm for a team GB.

Four really as Steven Caulker was there on the back of his loan to us.

I don't get the derision on either side really

The FAW in particular are still paranoid of an idea that was born circa the 1950s

For what benefit would FIFA want to merge the home nations and merge them into one? Will never happen.

Its an u23 tournament (in the main), what difference does it make to anything?

The FAW in particular are still paranoid of an idea that was born circa the 1950s

For what benefit would FIFA want to merge the home nations and merge them into one? Will never happen.

For me mostly its the timing of the Olympics in an already massively packed professional calendar which kicks off and finishes right before the start of a new professional season.

A merging of the FA's wouldn't really benefit anyone within the UK but I can understand the nation's insistence on protecting any possibility of it happening. The only real beneficiaries of it would be those who see it as a case of the UK based FA's essentially having four votes on a topic - an imbalance of power should interests conflict.

"The IFAB is comprised of the four British football associations (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) with one vote each, and FIFA, covering the remaining 207 national associations, with four votes."

This essentially means that if they wanted to then the British FAs could veto and block any change that FIFA ever wanted to make to the rules of the game. And we all know that FIFA is a very power hungry entity that is always obsessed with both more money and more power.

Plenty of African / Asian FAs over the years have lobbied FiFA to reduce the amount of British international sides. Anything that gives them ammunition we need to nip in the bud.

First it was - it'll just be women, then it was it'll be mens but just England for a 1 off at 2012, then it is a full UK team but just a 1 off. Lo and behold there's rumblings again.

Drip drip drip.

Logistically it makes no sense either unless 1 of the home nations takes on the qualifying alone. Would it mean Wales' u21 sits out qualifiers for the world/ euros u21s? How would a gb team qualify?

Also got to consider that the Olympics is on the same 4 year cycle as the Euros. If Wales (who have no where near the depth of France/ Spain) qualify for the Euros, will there be pressure for the most talented u23 players to go to the Olympics instead? They aren't going to be able to play 2 tournaments in the same summer.

Best left alone.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back