• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

The basics of football

TerryPHELAN

First Team Player
Reaction score
Pass and move, track your man/runner. We’re not doing any of that.
Begs the question, wtf do these prima donnas do in training??

Or perhaps the question should be, exactly what training is it that they are being asked to undertake?

They've had well over 120 training sessions under the current head coach by now. And that's being conservative in my estimate.

For them to be this shapeless, something must be going very wrong on the training ground.

Don't forget the bulk of this squad were there last season and finished mid-table.

Something is going very wrong somewhere.

Andrew - North Hill said:
Or perhaps the question should be, exactly what training is it that they are being asked to undertake?

They've had well over 120 training sessions under the current head coach by now. And that's being conservative in my estimate.

For them to be this shapeless, something must be going very wrong on the training ground.

Don't forget the bulk of this squad were there last season and finished mid-table.

I totally agree with all that you’re saying, but remember we’ve lost a consistent goal scorer and replaced him with an inferior striker. I like Yates work ethic, but he ain’t going to get us twenty goals plus. However in his defence, it’s not as if we’re creating a bucket load for him anyway.

I don't think our mindless pressing helps us at times. Its great when it comes off, but more often than not teams find a way through and then we are scrambling to get back goal side, which inevitably leaves a gap or a mismatch somewhere. Teams are finding these gaps and pull us left to right, stretch us leading to a hatful of chances every game.

It also makes us predictable in that teams know we are going to press every time. I'd rather see us be a bit more selective of when we go after it, use the element of surprise a bit more to spring on the opposition.

yet last night only 4 of the starting 11 had been playing last season,two of which were not regulars (Paterson and Cooper)

The same was said by some in Martins first season how a squad with the bulk of players intact had finished 4th the previous season whilst looking to struggle at mid table.
Those who sprung to Martins defence quoted the loss if Lowe and Ayew....we have lost Piroe and Natcham....Pirroe was a more than adequate replacement for Ayew....what replacement has there been for Ayew. Both managers have lostand benefitted from loans too

Isn't the most obvious issue that we clearly have a bang average squad and manager. Add rubbish owners and we are simply left with mid table mediocrity or lower.

SwansInTheLake said:
I don't think our mindless pressing helps us at times. Its great when it comes off, but more often than not teams find a way through and then we are scrambling to get back goal side, which inevitably leaves a gap or a mismatch somewhere. Teams are finding these gaps and pull us left to right, stretch us leading to a hatful of chances every game.

It also makes us predictable in that teams know we are going to press every time. I'd rather see us be a bit more selective of when we go after it, use the element of surprise a bit more to spring on the opposition.

We've no pace anywhere on the park, which leaves us treading water when we inevitably lose the ball up top and teams flood through with pace. that primarily happens because we've no outlet up there, Lowe is played wide, but needs to play more centrally because of his ability on the ball we could play Cullen with him and Bolasie out wide, although at Bolasie's time of life he perhaps should be played through middle.

There's options there, Duff needs to be brave and try them, because we are toothless and stale up top at moment, I'd give Walshie more game time as well and put Cooper on the bench, maybe 50/60 mins and see how he goes for a few games.

Niigata Jack said:
We've no pace anywhere on the park, which leaves us treading water when we inevitably lose the ball up top and teams flood through with pace. that primarily happens because we've no outlet up there, Lowe is played wide, but needs to play more centrally because of his ability on the ball we could play Cullen with him and Bolasie out wide, although at Bolasie's time of life he perhaps should be played through middle.

There's options there, Duff needs to be brave and try them, because we are toothless and stale up top at moment, I'd give Walshie more game time as well and put Cooper on the bench, maybe 50/60 mins and see how he goes for a few games.
A lack of pace has been an issue for a long time and proper wing backs and/or wingers. Whittaker had more pace than our current strikers and I think Ogbeta is fairly quick but we will probably never see him either, as happened with Kyle Joseph.
The Hull game showed us what a quality winger can do. It's hard to see any radical changes with the current squad we have available.

SwansInTheLake said:

Personally, I don't think we press enough. We only ever do in short bursts.

Norwich game was a great example. We were way up the pitch in the first 10/15 mins, pushed right up, hemming them in. Won the ball high for the opening goal. Then for whatever reason we just dropped off and stopped doing it. I know it's hard to maintain that for 90 mins but we can't just switch it on and off like that.

Again it all comes back to the training for me - what are we doing there, what messages are being relayed to the players, are things like this being highlighted to them, what are we doing to try and rectify it etc.

2-0 up against Hull, we needed to sit in and become much more compact. We did the opposite and they played through us and around us with ease. Tactical suicide.

We need to win tomorrow or it'll be quite uncomfortable to be in Mr Duffs trackie bottoms I would think.

Personally, I don't think we press enough. We only ever do in short bursts.

Norwich game was a great example. We were way up the pitch in the first 10/15 mins, pushed right up, hemming them in. Won the ball high for the opening goal. Then for whatever reason we just dropped off and stopped doing it. I know it's hard to maintain that for 90 mins but we can't just switch it on and off like that.

Again it all comes back to the training for me - what are we doing there, what messages are being relayed to the players, are things like this being highlighted to them, what are we doing to try and rectify it etc.

To do what you’re saying, requires a really high level of fitness, something along the lines of Liverpool who do it in threes and fours. We are nowhere near as fit, and going by the games I’ve seen this season, I’d stick my neck out and say we’re one of the unfittest sides in the division.

TerryPHELAN said:
To do what you’re saying, requires a really high level of fitness, something along the lines of Liverpool who do it in threes and fours. We are nowhere near as fit, and going by the games I’ve seen this season, I’d stick my neck out and say we’re one of the unfittest sides in the division.

I completely agree. The muscle injuries we keep getting would testify to that. Which is quite astonishing really, given by all accounts he absolutely flogged them to death in pre-season. You'd think we'd be one of the fittest sides around, not the opposite.

Sometimes you just have to face reality and accept that you’ve made a mistake. It’s time to realise this. I’m not a big one for sacking managers but Duff is not up to it.

TerryPHELAN said:
Pass and move, track your man/runner. We’re not doing any of that.
Begs the question, wtf do these prima donnas do in training??

A prophetic post.
Pass and MOVE!! We can do the first part all day long but Jesus wept, they are totally static.
Even Josh Key, who’s probably our most energetic player, was doing it when he came on.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back