• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Tommy Hutchison

Tommy spent five very eventful seasons with the Swans during which;
• he became the oldest ever Swansea player
• managed the club on three separate occasions
•lead the club through their darkest hour when liquidation was the likeliest outcome
•was a member of the teams relegated from the old division three and then promoted from the old division 4
• became the oldest debutant in European football playing for the Swans in the Cup Winners Cup
•was a ‘victim’ of the Swansea version of Deadly Doug as he swung the managerial axe

Tommy played for three more years at Merthyr after leaving Swansea. He retired from football at the age of 46. He continued to live in South Wales working with disadvantaged children in his role as a PFA football development officer.There must be thousands of, what are now middle aged people, up and down the valleys, who attended his courses when children. Many of their stories are recorded in the book.
By the time he retired from this role, he had lived longer in South Wales than he had in Scotland! His daughter still lives in Swansea (which is handy for this game!)
The book covers in detail his time in South Wales with seven chapters devoted to this period of Tommy’s life. It will be of interest to all Swansea fans who have in the history of the club.
Tommy will be in the club shop from 12:30 to 1:15 on Friday before the game. Come over to say hello and have a picture taken with the great man. You can buy a signed copy of the book too. Swansea fans in the hospitality lounges can have a listen to some of Tommy’s Swansea tales before and after the game. Please come over and say hello.
If you can’t come and see him on Friday, you can have a signed copy of the book delivered to your door by using the form below. I can only guarantee delivery of the book if ordered up until Thursday night as I don’t know how many, if any, books we will have left after the game on Friday.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScfard87yfsj-_jL4Kd3YV7M2glykk0m8s5LtTPqznh9sruVw/viewform

By continuing to use the site, you agree to our use of cookies and to abide by our Terms and Conditions.
We in turn value your personal details in accordance with our Privacy Policy.
MrMagic | Settings | Log Out | 1 Msg

Home
News
Forum
Social Media
Predictions
Blogs
Ladies
Polls
Fixtures
Squad
Tables
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Page: < previous12next >
Tommy Hutchison 14:39 - Jan 3 with 2808 views MrMagic

Hi, a Coventry fan here. I am writing a book about former Swan,Tommy Hutchison. I spent a week at the end of September recording his story with him in Fife. His career was so long and he has so many great stories that we had another week and a half on Zoom calls to cover his whole career!

I was a teenager in the 70s when he was at my club and I have never seen a player like him who could generate excitement in the crowd everytime he recieved the ball.He was fantastic to watch. I never thought that 50 odd years later I would have got to know him. He is a funny, down to earth bloke who has no airs and graces.

I hope the book will be out sometime this year. He had a lot to say about his Swansea years as, to say the least it was a turbulent time for your club, particularly with characters like Doug Sharpe around.

I am putting similar messages to this on the fans forums of all of Tommy's old clubs. I am hoping to have a section at the back of the book where fans of Alloa, Blackpool, Coventry, Seattle Sounders, Man City, Bulgaria (difficult as they don't exist any more), Burnley, Swansea, Merthyr and Scotland can give any of their memories of meeting Tommy or of games he played in. He certainly enjoyed his time in South Wales and he continued to live there until his retirement as a Football in the Community officer for Bristol City and he moved back to Fife. I've had some great comments from Blackpool and Coventry fans so far and I am sure many Swansea fans will good memories of him.
You can either put your comments on this thread or you can email me at;

mrmagicfootball@outlook.com

Thanks in advance for any contributions.Apologies if I bump this thread occasionally to give everyone who knew Hutch a chance to contribute.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Tommy Hutchison on 10:18 - Feb 13 with 613 views 3swan

September 1985

Wolves away

Tommy was on a different level to everyone that day and totally dominated the play.

Result - we won 5-1 with Tommy getting a goal.

Great skills

Tommy Hutchison on 10:30 - Feb 13 with 589 views KeithHaynes

Tommy Hutchison on 10:18 - Feb 13 by 3swan

September 1985

Wolves away

Tommy was on a different level to everyone that day and totally dominated the play.

Result - we won 5-1 with Tommy getting a goal.

Great skills

You had to be a hardy supporter that season, result came out of the blue !

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Tommy Hutchison on 10:43 - Feb 13 with 568 views 3swan

Tommy Hutchison on 10:30 - Feb 13 by KeithHaynes

You had to be a hardy supporter that season, result came out of the blue !

Had to double check if hardy meant stupid .

Looked up the results as my memory wouldn't be that good.

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2513&season_id=155&team

Lost our opening 4 league games before beating Rotherham and then this great result.

The rest of the season doesn't make good reading.

Tommy Hutchison on 19:34 - Feb 13 with 514 views MrMagic

Tommy Hutchison on 10:01 - Feb 13 by swan65split

The air was the colour of his jersey all afternoon, and the bath was scarred with a black stain for many a year!!!

Thank you again for the great memories of Tommy playing for Swansea. I have passed these on to him.
Tommy spent five years with the Swans another three at Merthyr and then remained living in South Wales until he retired from his work as a football development officer a few years ago. His time in the area is obviously a huge part of the book. Below is an extract from when he first signed for Swansea.

‘My introduction to my new team-mates came during a pre-season tournament in Malaysia with Kuala Lumpur as our base. How the club were able to afford such an exotic location for a pre-season visit was something that I pondered when the financial chickens came home to roost later in the season. At the time, it was just another exciting place that playing football had enabled me to visit.
After one of the games, John Bond gave Colin Pascoe such a roasting that he was in tears. Some of the Welsh boys felt that they were singled out for criticism more than the English boys. I told Pascoe this wasn’t the case and that Bond just wanted players to act on advice and improve. I told him, ‘Pasc, the time tae start worrying is when he doesnae speak tae you as that means he’s givin’ up on you.’ Bond would become genuinely frustrated by players who couldn’t or wouldn’t act on his advice.
The boss hadn’t pleased the Swansea fans at the end of the previous season when he released local boy Dean Saunders, who had scored a few goals for the Swans, for the very reason that he would not act on the things he was being asked to do (mainly to delay his runs in behind defenders as he was frequently and unnecessarily caught offside). Saunders, like Dixon from Burnley, went on to have a fantastic top-flight career.
It wasn’t looking too good for John when the chairman sided with the fans and criticised the decision to let Saunders go. Bond also didn’t inspire much confidence as to what his players could achieve when he declared that it was the worst squad of players that he had ever seen! He didn’t tell me that when I was signing on!
Once the season started, the mood of the fans did not improve. We lost the first four league games. By early November we had won only four times, but by then there were bigger fish to fry than league position. We were facing a battle for the very survival of the club. The first hint that I had of the looming situation was in October when HMRC called for a winding-up order against the club due to unpaid taxes. We muddled along until Christmas when the real hammer blow fell. A High Court judge ruled Swansea City insolvent and effectively wound the club up.’

If you would like a signed copy of the book delivered to your door, use the link below to bring up the appropriate form.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScfard87yfsj-_jL4Kd3YV7M2glykk0m8s5LtTP

Tommy Hutchison on 19:37 - Feb 13 with 509 views MrMagic

Tommy Hutchison on 16:41 - Feb 12 by swancity

As a Swansea fan since 1971 it pleases me to say that he’s been one of my favourite Swans players. Elegant and skilful he was a delight on that left side with football intelligence and a fitness level that enabled him to carry on effectively into his 40s. I’m pretty sure at 43 he was our oldest ever player in a league game?

I’d like to buy a copy of the book and signed if possible.

If you would like a signed copy of the book, please use the link below.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScfard87yfsj-_jL4Kd3YV7M2glykk0m8s5LtTP

Tommy Hutchison on 20:20 - Feb 13 with 467 views KeithHaynes

Tommy Hutchison on 10:43 - Feb 13 by 3swan

Had to double check if hardy meant stupid .

Looked up the results as my memory wouldn't be that good.

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2513&season_id=155&team

Lost our opening 4 league games before beating Rotherham and then this great result.

The rest of the season doesn't make good reading.

4,000 at Molineux that day !
Total.

Tommy Hutchison on 21:12 - Feb 13 with 448 views 3swan

Tommy Hutchison on 20:20 - Feb 13 by KeithHaynes

4,000 at Molineux that day !
Total.

Only there to watch the Swans
😁

From memory parts of the ground were closed.

Tommy Hutchison on 21:52 - Feb 13 with 432 views KeithHaynes

Tommy Hutchison on 21:12 - Feb 13 by 3swan

😁

From memory parts of the ground were closed.

I’m uncertain how many Jacks were there that day, possibly 350 at the most.
Fourth division days.

Tommy Hutchison on 22:59 - Feb 13 with 414 views Fireboy2

Tommy Hutchison on 19:37 - Feb 13 by MrMagic

If you would like a signed copy of the book, please use the link below.

Purchased 👍

Tommy Hutchison on 11:37 - Apr 3 with 290 views MrMagic

Tommy Hutchison on 22:59 - Feb 13 by Fireboy2

Purchased 👍

Just bumping this into thread again. In contrast to Manchester City, Swansea have Ben very kind and generous in having Tommy as their special guest for the game against Coventry on Friday. A special thanks to Sophie Clarke at the club who has been great in setting up this event.
Tommy will be in the club shop from 12:30 on Friday. Come and say hello, have a chat and your picture taken with him. He really enjoys talking to fans. If you would like a signed copy of the book that is great but if not just come and say hello.
Tommy will then be in the lounges before and after the game. He tells a great story and is well worth listening to. Apologies if I bump this thread a few times in the week.
If you would like a signed copy of the book but can’t get to the shop or the lounges on Friday then have a signed copy delivered to your door by filling out the form below.

[Post edited 3 Apr 11:39]

Tommy Hutchison on 12:14 - Apr 3 with 253 views Fireboy2

Tommy Hutchison on 11:37 - Apr 3 by MrMagic

Just bumping this into thread again. In contrast to Manchester City, Swansea have Ben very kind and generous in having Tommy as their special guest for the game against Coventry on Friday. A special thanks to Sophie Clarke at the club who has been great in setting up this event.
Tommy will be in the club shop from 12:30 on Friday. Come and say hello, have a chat and your picture taken with him. He really enjoys talking to fans. If you would like a signed copy of the book that is great but if not just come and say hello.
Tommy will then be in the lounges before and after the game. He tells a great story and is well worth listening to. Apologies if I bump this thread a few times in the week.
If you would like a signed copy of the book but can’t get to the shop or the lounges on Friday then have a signed copy delivered to your door by filling out the form below.

[Post edited 3 Apr 11:39]

Gutted that I can't be there Friday, would have definitely bobbed in to say hello get a photo and my book signed, pass on my best to my dad's doppelganger please.
[Post edited 4 Apr 16:12]

Tommy Hutchison on 12:17 - Apr 3 with 252 views Rhonnda_Jack

I met Tommy as a lad he done a football academy for kids in at half term in Ogmore. Was a good man i was to young at the time to really add anything interesting as it was all purly football.
but please can you let me know when you have wrote your book. Sounds interesting.

Tommy Hutchison on 15:13 - Apr 3 with 204 views KeithHaynes

Tommy Hutchison on 12:17 - Apr 3 by Rhonnda_Jack

I met Tommy as a lad he done a football academy for kids in at half term in Ogmore. Was a good man i was to young at the time to really add anything interesting as it was all purly football.
but please can you let me know when you have wrote your book. Sounds interesting.

It’s out I think mate.

Tommy Hutchison on 20:11 - Apr 3 with 161 views MrMagic

Tommy Hutchison on 12:17 - Apr 3 by Rhonnda_Jack

Hi.The book is out. If you look a couple of posts above you will see a link that takes you to a form. If you fill it in , I can send you a signed copy.

Tommy Hutchison on 20:14 - Apr 3 with 158 views AguycalledJack

Tommy Hutchison on 15:13 - Apr 3 by KeithHaynes

It’s out I think mate.

Definitely out. I had it for Christmas and we’ll worth a read - Deadly Doug strikes again 😂

Tommy Hutchison on 15:11 - Apr 4 with 83 views MrMagic

Tommy Hutchison on 20:14 - Apr 3 by AguycalledJack

Definitely out. I had it for Christmas and we’ll worth a read - Deadly Doug strikes again 😂

•lead the club through their darkest hour when liquidation was the likeliest outcome
•was a member of the teams relegated from the old division three and then promoted from the old division 4
• became the oldest debutant in European football playing for the Swans in the Cup Winners Cup
•was a ‘victim’ of the Swansea version of Deadly Doug as he swung the managerial axe

Tommy played for three more years at Merthyr after leaving Swansea. He retired from football at the age of 46. He continued to live in South Wales working with disadvantaged children in his role as a PFA football development officer.There must be thousands of, what are now middle aged people, up and down the valleys, who attended his courses when children. Many of their stories are recorded in the book.
By the time he retired from this role, he had lived longer in South Wales than he had in Scotland! His daughter still lives in Swansea (which is handy for this game!)
The book covers in detail his time in South Wales with seven chapters devoted to this period of Tommy’s life. It will be of interest to all Swansea fans who have in the history of the club.
Tommy will be in the club shop from 12:30 to 1:15 on Friday before the game. Come over to say hello and have a picture taken with the great man. You can buy a signed copy of the book too. Swansea fans in the hospitality lounges can have a listen to some of Tommy’s Swansea tales before and after the game. Please come over and say hello.
If you can’t come and see him on Friday, you can have a signed copy of the book delivered to your door by using the form below. I can only guarantee delivery of the book if ordered up until Thursday night as I don’t know how many, if any, books we will have left after the game on Friday.

[Post edited 5 Apr 10:37]

Tommy Hutchison on 10:35 - Apr 5 with 2 views MrMagic

Tommy Hutchison on 15:11 - Apr 4 by MrMagic

[Post edited 5 Apr 10:37]

Just to confirm Tommy will be the guest at the Liberty Stadium this Friday for the game against Coventry. You can meet up with him, have a chat and a photo and buy a signed copy of his book if you wish. He will be in the club shop from 12:30. -1.15 and then in the club lounges before and after the game.
Not surprisingly, as Tommy spent the last 25 years of his working life there, the book has a large section covering his time in South Wales, particularly in Swansea. Below is an extract from the Swansea part of the book. Here, Tommy is telling the story of what happened when the club was declared bankrupt and was very close to liquidation.

The players met in the Vetch Field dressing room to hear the news and were devastated. As far as we knew, we were now out of a job. John Bond was removed as manager and the stadium was closed and padlocked. Our game against Walsall the following day was postponed. It seemed as if Swansea City was dead. However, it was not quite the case. There was still the flicker of a pulse in the almost-moribund body of the club, giving a small glimmer of hope.
The fans immediately rallied around with fundraising schemes. Two groups of local businessmen, one led by current chairman Sharpe, set about putting rescue packages together. On Christmas Eve 1985, the club was granted a three-week stay of execution to see if it could be saved. Jeffrey Paine was installed as general manager of the club operating under the supervision of the official receiver.
I was asked to look after the playing side. I would be assisted by my fellow senior pro, goalkeeper Jimmy Rimmer, and Ron Walton, who had coached and scouted for John Bond. I was finally to become a manager, albeit a temporary one in the most unusual and difficult of circumstances, six months after missing out on the Burnley job.
One thing that I made clear to Jeffrey Paine was that I would be continuing as a player, something he had no problem with. Any issues to do with the playing side of the club was completely down to me. He would have enough to do in trying to keep the club afloat. My remit was to find a way of fielding 11 “players to make sure we fulfilled our fixtures and simply do our best. Winning or drawing would be a bonus. Two days after being appointed, I took charge of my first game, a 1-0 defeat in the South Wales derby with Cardiff. Four games in, I had my first win in the rearranged game with Walsall. Of the first five games we played with me and Rimmer in charge, we won two, lost two and drew one; a reasonable start. I

Excerpt From
Hutch, Hard Work and Belief
Tommy Hutchison and Kevin Shannon
https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewBook?id=0
This material may be protected by copyright.

If anyone would like a signed copy of the book delivered to their door then please use the form connected to the link below. Any orders received by Thursday night are guaranteed.(We may sell out the books we have at the game on Friday)

Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Page: < previous12next >

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising © FansNetwork 2023

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back