• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Uncle Russ

Playing devil's advocate for a second....because someone's got to šŸ˜‰

There was a not-inconsiderable section of our fanbase - granted, you won't find many of them dwelling on these pages - who always maintained that his methods might have worked better if he'd been given a better standard of player to work with than what he had down here.

Technically, that point of view has been validated to an extent by what he has gone on to do at Saints - given a better group of players, he's displayed much higher levels of achievement. They'll finish 4th, when the best he could do here was 10th. That also includes a club record unbeaten run.

Granted, the flaws in his approach remain the same, and Southampton fans aren't happy because their expectations are higher than ours, they were hoping for Top 2. But, relatively speaking, looking at the overall picture, he's only increased his standing in the game. (Even though many on here would prefer to claim otherwise).

His Lego hair is shite though. I'll give you that.
u

I take the point but itā€™s s stretch to claim that his ā€œmethodsā€ (such as they are) have been validated, even if just to an extent, because heā€™s managed to take a Premier League squad of players to fourth in the Championship.

He may have increased his standing in the game but only among those who are fortunate enough not to have to watch his turgid brand of self serving anti-football week in week out.

Just my two cents, as the great Kent Brockman once said.

I would then argue that if it were a Premier League squad of players, it wouldn't be in this division in the first place. But there we are.

I am sympathetic to the view that when his football wasn't working, it wasn't a good watch.

I just think this "fraud" thing is nonsense, personally. Clearly a more than capable second tier manager, just not to everyone's taste.

I would then argue that if it were a Premier League squad of players, it wouldn't be in this division in the first place. But there we are.

I am sympathetic to the view that when his football wasn't working, it wasn't a good watch.

I just think this "fraud" thing is nonsense, personally. Clearly a more than capable second tier manager, just not to everyone's taste.

yet he hasn't been hamstrung at Southampton yet has failed to deliver promotion.Comparr that to Cooper who in his first 3 seasons as a manager had his teams in play off semis then the play off finals then took his side from the bottom of the Championship to win the play off final....yet RUSS still flatters to deceive....go and read the Southampton fans forums they say waht the MKDONS fans said and those of us who sussed him early said.

Beating Cardiff four times is the only reason he gets the time of day here.

If he was a "more than capable" second tier manager then perhaps he wouldn't have finished tenth last season with a squad that could easily have reached the playoffs if not managed by someone like Russell Martin.

I mean, it demonstrates a special kind of stupid to take a player like Morgan Whittaker, who had shown a serious talent for creating chances whilst playing through the middle and give him nothing but cameo appearances on the wing. Joel Latibeaudiere has had an exellent season for Coventry at CB and occasionally DM. Russy? Stuck him on the wing.

If he was a "more than capable" second tier manager then perhaps he wouldn't have finished tenth last season with a squad that could easily have reached the playoffs if not managed by someone like Russell Martin.

I mean, it demonstrates a special kind of stupid to take a player like Morgan Whittaker, who had shown a serious talent for creating chances whilst playing through the middle and give him nothing but cameo appearances on the wing. Joel Latibeaudiere has had an exellent season for Coventry at CB and occasionally DM. Russy? Stuck him on the wing.
Welcome back... šŸ¤£

There is almost nothing I agree with Dr W on. Even less these days than there ever was, and weā€™ve known each other a long time. But heā€™s bang on here.

yet he hasn't been hamstrung at Southampton yet has failed to deliver promotion.Comparr that to Cooper who in his first 3 seasons as a manager had his teams in play off semis then the play off finals then took his side from the bottom of the Championship to win the play off final....yet RUSS still flatters to deceive....go and read the Southampton fans forums they say waht the MKDONS fans said and those of us who sussed him early said.

You didn't hear many of them complaining when they went on a club record unbeaten run though, did you.

The reality is, for them, not getting automatic promotion is a disappointment because they have parachute money, and - unlike our lot when we first came down - the club's expectation at the start of the season was that they would at least challenge for top 2. And that's not happened. Now, he gets the chance to try and get them up through the playoffs.

On Southampton's terms, if he fails to get promoted, he'll have failed.

Most neutrals will look at it though and say he's done better than he did at Swansea, which has done his own reputation no harm at all.

spot on Doc..he played round pegs in square holes they fitted but didn't fill the slot..as you say we had that run at the end of last season which his fanboys went on about yet it was achieved with the same players he had had all season despite his mutterings about being let down in the transfer window.
Had he not achieved those Cardiff wins he would not have the adulation ge still recieves

He was happy to throw 17 year old Cameron Congreve under the bus and set the lads progress back two years at least just to try and mask his lack of ability to pick a side...

Takes a certain type of middle aged man to do that.

spot on Doc..he played round pegs in square holes they fitted but didn't fill the slot..as you say we had that run at the end of last season which his fanboys went on about yet it was achieved with the same players he had had all season despite his mutterings about being let down in the transfer window.
Had he not achieved those Cardiff wins he would not have the adulation ge still recieves

Plus his ability to pick off some people to be on his side and hear his side of the story

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back