• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

VAR

blackflyingswan

Reserve Team Player
Reaction score
I wrote some month ago regarding VAR in the Championship. So much rewards & money can be earned with promotion to tne Premiership ,that the smallest of decisions matter.Why is VAR not compulsory in this league as so much rides on the marginal interpretation
of the rules in football. Saturdays penalties. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Imagine missing out on promotion in the playoffs due to VAR disallowing our goals. I can’t get over how people think one way regarding VAR, that it would only benefit their [perfect] team.

airedale said:
Imagine missing out on promotion in the playoffs due to VAR disallowing our goals. I can’t get over how people think one way regarding VAR, that it would only benefit their [perfect] team.

Imagine missing out on promotion in the playoffs due to an opponents goal being allowed to stand when VAR would have ruled it out. I'm pretty sure that most people know that we'd be on the 'losing' side of some VAR decisions also.

After a game in which VAR would have certainly given us 1 penalty, maybe more, it's unsurprising that fans renew calls for VAR in the Championship.

Some you win, some you lose, whatever you’ve got. People are assuming that introduction of VAR will somehow magically suit their agenda at the critical time, whenever that is in the future.

Of course, after its introduction, and when critical decisions go against us because of it, we’ll all be slagging it off. Just like you’ve seen on the box since it’s been around.

airedale said:
Some you win, some you lose, whatever you’ve got. People are assuming that introduction of VAR will somehow magically suit their agenda at the critical time, whenever that is in the future.

Of course, after its introduction, and when critical decisions go against us because of it, we’ll all be slagging it off. Just like you’ve seen on the box since it’s been around.

No argument at all with your second paragraph.

The thing is if VAR was introduced into the championship our 2nd goal vs coventry might have been chalked off and we may have well picked up 1 point instead of 3! Id rather leave the game the way it is I hate VAR! I do believe decsions over the course of the season generally even themselfs out.

The thing is if VAR was introduced into the championship our 2nd goal vs coventry might have been chalked off and we may have well picked up 1 point instead of 3! Id rather leave the game the way it is I hate VAR! I do believe decsions over the course of the season generally even themselfs out.

Yjb_09 said:

I'd rather see correct decisions made quickly so that incompetent referees like Stroud and his coterie stop stinking out every game. If some go against us so be it. We would just have had to score a legal second at Cov, wouldn't we.

My big problem with VAR isn't about whether the decision goes our way, it's that there is often an inhibition in celebrating a goal, because the referees and linos get it wrong too often. If 90% of the goals that go in are kosher so the odds are with a mental celebration, then it just has to happen. It would stop all the rubbish that we got last season from Colin and Frank, when their players were far bigger cheats, but it was a bandwagon, and it made sure that we got nothing in the play off final from a referee that made his mind up before he stepped on the pitch. Ok, we deserved to get nothing, but that was Cooperwang and another story.

Perhaps they haven’t introduced it in the Championship because the standard of refereeing is so naff.

The issue with VAR though isn’t the idea itself, but the way it’s enforced. I imagine that most fans have always been happy to accept refs/linos won’t get every single decision right, especially very tight offside calls. The decisions that particularly upset fans are the obvious errors (the penalty Sam Vokes won at the Liberty for handball, or the equally ridiculous Stoke penalty for who knows what are prime examples).

The issue though, is when it comes to matter of interpretation. How often have we seen penalty shouts where one pundit says it’s too soft to give a pen and another pundit says it should be a pen as there was some (slight) contact? VAR won’t fix that, and I think due to this they have concentrated on what can be objectively demonstrated - hence the use of lines to show a goal scorer’s left eyebrow being half a millimetre offside.

I can’t see them changing anything now, but I’d much rather a challenge system. 1 challenge per team per game (which is kept if the challenge is upheld, as in tennis). The challenge has to come from the on field captain and has to be specific (for example “We think that player x was offside in the build up to the goal”, rather than “we think there was some possible infringement in the build up). If this were the system, on Saturday for example I assume Grimes would have a chat with Laird after each of his penalty shouts to ask how sure he is he was fouled. I wonder if they’d have appealed his first?

I want VAR in the Championship. We seem to always bear the heavier brunt of frankly ridiculous officials decisions. Bring it on pronto.

BrynCartwright said:
I want VAR in the Championship. We seem to always bear the heavier brunt of frankly ridiculous officials decisions. Bring it on pronto.
^This

Lisvanejack said:
The issue with VAR though isn’t the idea itself, but the way it’s enforced. I imagine that most fans have always been happy to accept refs/linos won’t get every single decision right, especially very tight offside calls. The decisions that particularly upset fans are the obvious errors (the penalty Sam Vokes won at the Liberty for handball, or the equally ridiculous Stoke penalty for who knows what are prime examples).

The issue though, is when it comes to matter of interpretation. How often have we seen penalty shouts where one pundit says it’s too soft to give a pen and another pundit says it should be a pen as there was some (slight) contact? VAR won’t fix that, and I think due to this they have concentrated on what can be objectively demonstrated - hence the use of lines to show a goal scorer’s left eyebrow being half a millimetre offside.

I can’t see them changing anything now, but I’d much rather a challenge system. 1 challenge per team per game (which is kept if the challenge is upheld, as in tennis). The challenge has to come from the on field captain and has to be specific (for example “We think that player x was offside in the build up to the goal”, rather than “we think there was some possible infringement in the build up). If this were the system, on Saturday for example I assume Grimes would have a chat with Laird after each of his penalty shouts to ask how sure he is he was fouled. I wonder if they’d have appealed his first?
I've said since var was brought in a challenge system would work better. It could also possibly prevent obvious diving, as the player would either be found out through var, or have to risk the team wasting their challenge on them diving (or admit to diving). Var doesn't currently discourage diving because it'll be checked time and time again regardless if contact was made or not.

Swansea City v Stoke City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back