• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

WHERE'S THE HOPE ?

swansvalleyjack

Reserve Team Player
Reaction score
I have tended to start every season with hope - new players, maybe new system, even a plan B.

I had little hope this year. Recent experiences have shown me that new players mean diddly squat. We are just recycling the squad with average, or less than average. A slow downward spiral.

As for our system, well I'm totally bored tbh. I can be pretty patient with possession football, as long as there's a likely positive - or dare I say exciting - outcome.

Russell Martin took boring to a new level for most of the time. But even so, our current style is so predictable, and slow. And compounded by poor player "quality" as well of course.

There is very little splitting of lines with a raking pass; there is hardly any player who actually beats a man with dribbling skills; most everything is slow pass, pass, pass...in turn, opposing sides have all the time in the world to set themselves up defensively. Everything is then so congested, tippy tappy around the edge of the penalty area, no way through. Our crossing is awful ( apart from the brave header met by Vipotnik yesterday) also very few effective overlaps (remember Dyer and Rangel ! )

I know we're not relegation material ( in fairness the defence is not bad) - but by god the rest of our play is awful.

I actually long for some route 1 football, create some huge gaps on the field, anything to get me off my seat and avoid this consistent drudge of safe pass football.

Ok it's mid table stuff I know, but I only attend these days out of loyalty and duty. Entertainment has gone, such a pity.

And I know people will say, remember the mid eighties and so on after Toshack had gone. Yes I do and I lived with the consequences. But reality is that we then found our way - and more - with Martinez, Rodgers and Laudrup. And reality is that we were spoiled then, we were so entertained. And today I find difficulty in simply accepting the dross football we get now. 14,000 attendance yesterday says that many others have just given up - for me I can't do that (I'm still a season ticket holder) but my practice now is to do other things on a Saturday if they're better than turning up at the stadium, or leaving early if it's obvious we will never score and still play the same boring stuff.

And as for the subs yesterday, what was the point. Going back to Dyer for a moment, when he used to come on, there was a buzz around the place. But it was just "meh" yesterday, most believed they would make no difference. And so it proved.

Rant over !

Is it really being spoilt to want and get good attacking football, are we meant to accept low grade boring football. To me the football we got climbing the league into the premiership should be the norm. Maybe it's just me.

I do get some of the points the OP is making, it is quite depressing stuff to watch when you think of how good we had it between 2007-2015. But that was effectively a different club. We are not the same club now. Back then we were owned by fans, it had a family feel, everyone was in it together. Now we are owned by people who don't care, who see the club as an irritant on a balance sheet and act as such. And that transfers itself on to the pitch.

We can hanker all we like for the good old days, but they're not coming back - not under these owners anyway.

I have tended to start every season with hope - new players, maybe new system, even a plan B.

I had little hope this year. Recent experiences have shown me that new players mean diddly squat. We are just recycling the squad with average, or less than average. A slow downward spiral.

As for our system, well I'm totally bored tbh. I can be pretty patient with possession football, as long as there's a likely positive - or dare I say exciting - outcome.

Russell Martin took boring to a new level for most of the time. But even so, our current style is so predictable, and slow. And compounded by poor player "quality" as well of course.

There is very little splitting of lines with a raking pass; there is hardly any player who actually beats a man with dribbling skills; most everything is slow pass, pass, pass...in turn, opposing sides have all the time in the world to set themselves up defensively. Everything is then so congested, tippy tappy around the edge of the penalty area, no way through. Our crossing is awful ( apart from the brave header met by Vipotnik yesterday) also very few effective overlaps (remember Dyer and Rangel ! )

I know we're not relegation material ( in fairness the defence is not bad) - but by god the rest of our play is awful.

I actually long for some route 1 football, create some huge gaps on the field, anything to get me off my seat and avoid this consistent drudge of safe pass football.

Ok it's mid table stuff I know, but I only attend these days out of loyalty and duty. Entertainment has gone, such a pity.

And I know people will say, remember the mid eighties and so on after Toshack had gone. Yes I do and I lived with the consequences. But reality is that we then found our way - and more - with Martinez, Rodgers and Laudrup. And reality is that we were spoiled then, we were so entertained. And today I find difficulty in simply accepting the dross football we get now. 14,000 attendance yesterday says that many others have just given up - for me I can't do that (I'm still a season ticket holder) but my practice now is to do other things on a Saturday if they're better than turning up at the stadium, or leaving early if it's obvious we will never score and still play the same boring stuff.

And as for the subs yesterday, what was the point. Going back to Dyer for a moment, when he used to come on, there was a buzz around the place. But it was just "meh" yesterday, most believed they would make no difference. And so it proved.

Rant over !
Agree with all this.
Frustrating thing is, I really rate Key, Tymon and Eom. Cooper has gone up a level recently and I feel Vip will score a load given the chance.
It feels like a case of it all clicking and being in the same wavelength, those super high paced connections that none of us can understand and as you said, were blessed to see for such a long time.
Ronald has become hesitant to take a man on for some reason.
If he knocked it past someone but got tackled, I’d like to think we’re the type of fans that would applaud the idea rather than get on his back.
It’ll come IMO and I think Williams is the right man.

If Luke hadn't had messed up the subs v Brizzles/started with strong side midweek/took our easy chances yesterday...this thread wouldn't exist.

Watching Brizzle against the scum is giving me some perspective on yesterday's game. Both teams are fairly shocking and neither has got a decent forward. Brizzle's striker Armstrong is a real donkey. In fairness it's chucking it down and therefore not easy to play, but they're making us look like Brazil 1970.
I wonder if the weather will have a bearing on the result? A slip or something?

Watching Brizzle against the scum is giving me some perspective on yesterday's game. Both teams are fairly shocking and neither has got a decent forward. Brizzle's striker Armstrong is a real donkey. In fairness it's chucking it down and therefore not easy to play, but they're making us look like Brazil 1970.
I wonder if the weather will have a bearing on the result? A slip or something?
We couldn’t beat either at home of course Pegs.

Their el-donkey did what our peart-donkey did too.

Madley might do something yet

There's time for some of the new signings to come good, but as things stand, the squad is looking very bland.

I'm cutting the manager some slack based on that, plus he seems to have cut out a lot of the defensive shenanigans. I don't have much hope based on on the quality of the squad right now, but what hope I have is based on the possibility of the squad maturing into a more potent force as they play more together and 'gel'.

If we can pad out until January, treading water in mid-table, maybe we can pull a signing or two out of the hat in the January window to give us a chance of a top 10/play-off push to end the season?

Question - when was our squad last as weak as it appears to be now? 2007, 2006?

There's time for some of the new signings to come good, but as things stand, the squad is looking very bland.

I'm cutting the manager some slack based on that, plus he seems to have cut out a lot of the defensive shenanigans. I don't have much hope based on on the quality of the squad right now, but what hope I have is based on the possibility of the squad maturing into a more potent force as they play more together and 'gel'.

If we can pad out until January, treading water in mid-table, maybe we can pull a signing or two out of the hat in the January window to give us a chance of a top 10/play-off push to end the season?

Question - when was our squad last as weak as it appears to be now? 2007, 2006?
2007 with Amankwaah, Craney, Abbott would probably be below this one. Just.

I had a dream the other night. Leeds offered us back Piroe. For free, their reasoning was they still owed us fukloads on the transfer fee (no idea if this is accurate or not. It was a dream). We turned them down. Couldn’t afford the wage…..,

Whether it’s Piroe. Or another 20+ goal/season striker, that’s what we are missing. Yes there are faults in other areas of the pitch but we have been sound (relatively) defensively 👍 cheers Vigs, and have created chances but have not been able to score. It feels like if the opponents can score one, the best we can hope for is a draw.

Blackburn Rovers v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back