• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Yes drummer dies

dickythorpe

Ivor Allchurch
Reaction score
What a sad day!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-61600583

Muteswan said:
Probably my favourite Yes drummer. 😢RIP

Bill Bruford far better technically imo. I saw them twice with Alan White though in the 70s and he was excellent too. Too young these days to go. That’s him and Chris gone. Who would have thought Wakeman would outlive them. RIP.

I agree he was not as technically up there with Bruford but I felt there was more feeling with Alan.
I saw Bill Bruford’s Earthworks live at Swansea Jazzland and to be fair he was absolutely spot on.
Wakeman is probably like Keith Richard with the constitutions that will keep going no matter what.

One of my first purchases of a 33 rpm long player vinyl record was ELP Pictures at an Exhibition .
Tragically Keith Emerson and Greg Lake have left us , keep going Carl Palmer , great drummer .

Special mention to John Wetton who , alas left us again recently . Great musicians .

Muteswan said:
I agree he was not as technically up there with Bruford but I felt there was more feeling with Alan.
I saw Bill Bruford’s Earthworks live at Swansea Jazzland and to be fair he was absolutely spot on.
Wakeman is probably like Keith Richard with the constitutions that will keep going no matter what.

Talking of Wakeman, have you read his autobiography? It's a riot.

RIP Alan White.
I was in Rome two weeks ago for a four day break, the trip was originally organised to see Yes in a concert on their European tour, but the whole tour was postponed a fortnight before I went due to "insurmountable problems caused by covid". There were no refunds, but the tickets remain valid for the rescheduled tour next year.
I'd prepaid for flights and hotels, so we went anyway. If it had gone ahead, I would have seen White who, despite health problems, was apparently making short guest appearances at the end of each concert.
So it's back to Rome next May for me. I hope nobody else pegs out in the meantime. I was looking at the Yes website yesterday, reading all the tributes to Alan, and I must say Steve Howe in his latest photos looks like a skeleton. Please hang on, Steve, mate.....

Pegojack said:
RIP Alan White.
I was in Rome two weeks ago for a four day break, the trip was originally organised to see Yes in a concert on their European tour, but the whole tour was postponed a fortnight before I went due to "insurmountable problems caused by covid". There were no refunds, but the tickets remain valid for the rescheduled tour next year.
I'd prepaid for flights and hotels, so we went anyway. If it had gone ahead, I would have seen White who, despite health problems, was apparently making short guest appearances at the end of each concert.
So it's back to Rome next May for me. I hope nobody else pegs out in the meantime. I was looking at the Yes website yesterday, reading all the tributes to Alan, and I must say Steve Howe in his latest photos looks like a skeleton. Please hang on, Steve, mate.....

Hope it all goes well for you. The Yes tour should be renamed as the Maybe tour.
It’s such a shame that bands that we grew up watching are also bands that are getting older just like us. Hard to believe I’m 70 next year! Seems like only the other day I was watching these bands regularly.

Pegojack said:
RIP Alan White.

I was looking at the sleeve notes of Fragile the other day funny enough and they all look so young and vital. Anderson is the only one that really didn't degenerate. 'The Professor' has looked like a skeleton for years, so I think you'll be ok! I would have loved to have seen the Anderson/Wakeman/Howe/Squire/Bruford lineup. For my money the best. I could live with Alan instead of Bill, but I never saw them with Wakeman, but Patrick Moraz, who was also pretty amazing...but...

To Mutey, I just love the bass and drum intro to Heart of the Sunrise. Bruford on that is unbeatable and I tried to play it many times as a teenager but could never get the incredible co-ordination, light and shade , soft and hard contrasts. Someone does it brilliantly on the internet as a cover, and it still annoys me that I couldn't do it! Alan never got that for me and just played it as a straight 4/4 rock beat. Similarly, And You and I.

Soz, off topic. Back on. A great drummer that lasted the test of time.

Having seen Asia , the band , a number of times Steve Howe has always looked thin .

Geoff Downes who is the current keyboard player with YES / ASIA is , shall we say , looking well fed .

Sad news indeed about Alan White. I saw Yes on the TO tour in Cardiff on 1/12/73 with AW on drums. Good week that was, saw Queen supporting Mott the Hoople at the Brangwyn on the Wednesday before.

Off to see Wakeman at At Georges Church Hall in Beckenham next Friday. Should be entertaining and especially as it's on Bowie's old stomping ground.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back