• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

The Euro 2024 Thread

We had a chance to be there and we blew it, I’m not convinced by Page. Germany’s a great place and I have a feeling the Euro 2024 is going to be a tremendous tournament.

I think this one is very wide open as most of the top teams have flaws.
Page has long outstayed his welcome, but he was given that lengthy contract and we can't/ won't sack him.

Page has long outstayed his welcome, but he was given that lengthy contract and we can't/ won't sack him.
I would have replaced him after his first Euro's in charge. The way Denmark took us apart highlighted his very limited technical ability. The showing at the World Cup was just criminal.

I would have replaced him after his first Euro's in charge. The way Denmark took us apart highlighted his very limited technical ability. The showing at the World Cup was just criminal.
100%.

I traveled to the WC for the first 2 games spending a lot of hard earned, we were abject. Page should have been shown the door.

England are serial failures for good reasons.

The first, and most pertinent reason, is that their players never have been good enough since 1966. And yes, that includes this squad. At international level you're only as good as your weaknesses, and their glaring weaknesses are Pickford, Maguire and Henderson. All sub-standard and all are likely to feature heavily. They also have no left back worthy of the name. Yes, they have some tremendous attacking players, but that alone won't win you tournaments.

Secondly, hype. For years it's been hype, hype, hype. Mainly due to how the PL is marketed. But they never live up to it, because the bar is set too high to begin with, ie they only have to turn up and win. This means when they draw an early game 0-0 v Algeria or Scotland or USA, the world has suddenly ended, the fans go nuts, the media go nuts. They're all ridiculous.

Thirdly - English football flogs players to death. They always arrive at tournaments knackered or carrying knocks. And they always take at least one badly injured player, which is bloody stupid and something I've never understood.

Lastly, Southgate. He's a classic FA appointment - a company man, one of the blazers. Safe. Inoffensive. Won't scare the horses. But, crucially, isn't a very good coach and tactician. Never mind though, he's such a nice chap and that's all that matters.

Semi final at best - if they're lucky. And we all get our biannual summer chuckle. Lovely stuff.

From what I remember, they weren't good enough in 1966 either, but Brazil and Pele were kicked to pieces and the homer refs took care of Argentina and Portugal. Then that ridiculous linesman call...

Their best team imo was either 1970 (Brazil were still better), 1974 (when they didn't even qualify), or maybe 1986 when Maradona beat them. Anything with the Roon, or Gerry or Fat Frank in it were overhyped garbage.

I do think they could do it this time though. It's the Euros, not the WC, and the other teams aren't up to much at the moment. They really ought to have beaten Italy at home in the final last time - that was totally on Southgate. On the other hand, they don't travel well. I wouldn't be putting any money on them, but they do have a lot of good players and, Picknose has his good days. You don't need many good days to win this tournament.

From what I remember, they weren't good enough in 1966 either, but Brazil and Pele were kicked to pieces and the homer refs took care of Argentina and Portugal. Then that ridiculous linesman call...

Their best team imo was either 1970 (Brazil were still better), 1974 (when they didn't even qualify), or maybe 1986 when Maradona beat them. Anything with the Roon, or Gerry or Fat Frank in it were overhyped garbage.

I do think they could do it this time though. It's the Euros, not the WC, and the other teams aren't up to much at the moment. They really ought to have beaten Italy at home in the final last time - that was totally on Southgate. On the other hand, they don't travel well. I wouldn't be putting any money on them, but they do have a lot of good players and, Picknose has his good days. You don't need many good days to win this tournament.

That's why I think they've got little chance.

If you can't win what was ostensibly a home game, in a major final, where you go 1-0 up after a minute or so, against (frankly) not a vintage Italy side, then the chances of you putting yourself in that position to win again are very slim. So many other good teams out there with better pedigree and better squads who travel a lot better.

It wouldn't surprise me that much if they went in the last 16 tbh. They just don't have a winning culture. Never have.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back