• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

A-levels and GCSEs: U-turn as teacher estimates to be used for exam results

As a parent of a teenager who has just finished her A levels, the whole thing has caused massive distress. As it was she was not downgraded, but the news this afternoon caused a meltdown as there were rumours that you could now be downgraded if (as one of about 3% of students) the algorithm had given a higher grade. Turns out not true, but the uncertainty of the recent months has been dreadful. The whole thing is a disgrace. This is the most shambolic government ever. As Max Hastings pointed out only Gove and Sunak are approaching being competent. The rest are a shambles.

A Vice Chancellor from one of the universities was talking this morning, and saying that even if the government did a u-turn this afternoon... Some of the 280000 students who had been downgraded and then given their higher grades back, could still find their first choice gone, as the universities have been using the clearing system to fill their available places.

Congratulations and Good Luck to your daughter Prof 👍

TheLoneRanger said:
A Vice Chancellor from one of the universities was talking this morning, and saying that even if the government did a u-turn this afternoon... Some of the 280000 students who had been downgraded and then given their higher grades back, could still find their first choice gone, as the universities have been using the clearing system to fill their available places.

Congratulations and Good Luck to your daughter Prof 👍
Thanks

We have just an email saying we ( U Liverpool) will ensure all those with offers will get a place if they have met the grades after revision but this may be a deferred place. The whole thing has been a mess

TheLoneRanger said:
What a complete and utter fvcking shambles by this government ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53810655

Another shambles.

There has been a problem for years with teachers grading too high. Last year 75% of students didnt meet their predicted grades. It really wasnt surprising that 40% of results were down graded. People complain about students in poorer area being downgraded but Gwent College which covers a disadvantaged area had its best ever record of A*-C. Neath Port Talbot college has its highest percentage ever and Gower College and Coleg Sir Gar also reported outstanding results.

The problem is that politicians of all parties lack the courage to stand firm against public opinion.

What actual evidence is there that the 40% have been disadvantaged. There probably are some but how many.

The reality is that many universities have already filled their places. Bristol, Bath and Exeter have closed their clearing. The likes of Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Durham werent in clearing anyway. Where are universities going to find the accommodation for all these students. Last year Bristol placed 25 clearing students in Newport because there was no room in Bristol.

The A level fiasco is now hitting the government.

Dominic Raab has been downgraded to Dominic Rbde.

exhmrc1 said:
There has been a problem for years with teachers grading too high. Last year 75% of students didnt meet their predicted grades. It really wasnt surprising that 40% of results were down graded. People complain about students in poorer area being downgraded but Gwent College which covers a disadvantaged area had its best ever record of A*-C. Neath Port Talbot college has its highest percentage ever and Gower College and Coleg Sir Gar also reported outstanding results.

The problem is that politicians of all parties lack the courage to stand firm against public opinion.

What actual evidence is there that the 40% have been disadvantaged. There probably are some but how many.

The reality is that many universities have already filled their places. Bristol, Bath and Exeter have closed their clearing. The likes of Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Durham werent in clearing anyway. Where are universities going to find the accommodation for all these students. Last year Bristol placed 25 clearing students in Newport because there was no room in Bristol.
Teachers would inflate the grades.It would make everyone happier., teachers, students , parents etc.

It’s a real mess and I feel very sorry for the children and families caught up in this.

I suspect that over the years teachers have inflated the expected grades children to give kids the best chance of getting to a quality University, some and a target to aim for.
If the norm is 28% of exam results are A or A* then that should have been the target for this year and not 40%, but adjustments introduced have to be made in a fair and transparent way and be able to stand scrutiny - it certainly seems that is far from being the case. The politicians and officials have had months to work on this and all the best they can do is come up with a shambles, from standing fast to a full U turn under public pressure Williamson et al have been useless.

A lot of young people have been disadvantaged, firstly on exam results and now with regards to places at their first choice Uni no longer being available after they were filled in the “clearing process.”

There are a lot of people in power who have risen well beyond their ability.

Think education needs reforming and universities place entry needs revising.

I don't think it makes sense unis now ask for grades to allow you onto a course which you then need to pay a big sum for (£9250 for English students per year). When uni was free to attend I can see why you would need grades.

Also, in the grand scheme of things, getting an A or B in a subject is marginal. I remember it was 6 marks difference that seperated the grade boundaries in chemistry and you needed over half to get an E.

A levels have been a sh1tshow for years. I started my AS levels in 2011 and you could take exams in January and then May/June, but from 2014 they dropped new entries for January exams and then I believe 2015 they were done away with entirely. So now people only have one shot at it per year. In England they may only sit at the end of the second year now as they don't have AS anymore? I don't know I haven't kept tabs on it. Many science subjects have no coursework element. My A level choices involved little coursework - Maths and Geography had none and Chemistry I think was only worth 20% in total which was just a practical exam each year. 7 exams per year in total.

GCSE has three exam periods January, May/June and November.

How can it be right a lesser qualification has 3 sittings per year yet the harder qualification just one?

Let's be honest somebody who had all A's (or 9's I think they are now) at GCSE could probably do 75% of uni courses, basically all outside of STEM subjects. Mature students often need to do very little to get onto a uni course.

People often say A levels were the hardest part of their educational journey. I don't get why such pressure is heaped on 16-19 year olds to be honest.

Outdated system that needs attention.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back