• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

A woman has been jailed for 2 years for having an illegal abortion – how on earth is that fair

TheLoneRanger said:
The question is ?? ...

Not that she's been found guilty -

BUT -

Should she be in jail??

Well there’s two questions really but yes leaving aside the abortion debate the fact that this woman has been jailed is ridiculous. And we wonder why jails are so full we have to let actual criminals out early to make room.

MajorR said:
It happens every day that a Court somewhere in England and Wales sits, Murder, Manslaughter, GBH, ABH and a raft of other offences are all from the Offences against the Person Act 1861.

Funnily enough, I did some online reading after seeing ECB's post, as I wasn't aware we were using such old legislation. Found a fascinating article about how the Offences against the Person Act 1861 is massively outdated and how the common law system works around it. Apparently (and unsurprisingly) there are overwhelming arguments in favour of reform and a new criminal code has been drafted, but not enacted.

It's here if you're interested:

https://www.oxford-royale.com/articles/offences-against-the-person-act-1861-needs-reform/

Has the one about it being ok to kill a Welsh man in Hereford with a bow and arrow been repealed yet?

J_B said:
Has the one about it being ok to kill a Welsh man in Hereford with a bow and arrow been repealed yet?

I looked that one up too. Urban myth apparently.

jack123 said:
Nobody has the right to kill another human, be it a baby or an adult.....

Of course they don’t - that’s why they are charged with murder if they do.

Women do, however, have the right to refuse to carry a foetus until it becomes a baby.

In this particular case, it’s desperately sad, the woman involved is, and will remain haunted by what has happened, and it benefits absolutely no one whatsoever by her being imprisoned. It actively harms her children.

In general, the fact that it’s is still a criminal offence to have an abortion in this country (unless certain conditions are met) is an absolute disgrace.

Londonlisa2001 said:
Of course they don’t - that’s why they are charged with murder if they do.

Women do, however, have the right to refuse to carry a foetus until it becomes a baby.

In this particular case, it’s desperately sad, the woman involved is, and will remain haunted by what has happened, and it benefits absolutely no one whatsoever by her being imprisoned. It actively harms her children.

In general, the fact that it’s is still a criminal offence to have an abortion in this country (unless certain conditions are met) is an absolute disgrace.

I'm quite flabbergasted you say about the legality of having an abortion, the way you speak about it, as if it's like a woman going for a haircut or having her nails manicured.

The way I see it, the unborn baby has it's own unique identity, and should have rights..

That said, I can only express my feeling on the subject, and the way I feel, nothing we ever say here will change anything, so with that said, my post is not being put here to cause strife, it's just the way I have always felt, when I was a kid say about 8, the first time I realised about abortions, I felt sick. I don't think I can change.

TheLoneRanger said:
The question is ?? ...

Not that she's been found guilty -

BUT -

Should she be in jail??

I haven't read the full case or her reasons for the lady doing what she did, but if she has committed the offence, then YES, I agree with the punishment, if that's what the law says.

As Terry Hall once said ' Ain't you heard of contraception'

exiledclaseboy said:
You’re against the death penalty then?

Strange question that, so an innocent life versus a bad persons life.

I have thought about the death penalty before, and I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't solve the problem, simply because a 20-25 year sentence should be enough of a deterrent anyway.

exiledclaseboy said:
Well there’s two questions really but yes leaving aside the abortion debate the fact that this woman has been jailed is ridiculous. And we wonder why jails are so full we have to let actual criminals out early to make room.

Let's scrap every law then,, but surely if the woman has committed an offence, then why shouldn't she face the consequences?

You may feel sorry for her, I don't.

By giving any leniency to people who commit such acts, opens the door for other people to think they can do the same.

Anyway, I won't say anymore, cause I will go full Nuclear now with the uncaring attitude of some people, they preach love all the time and understanding, yet don't bat an eyelid to suggest wiping out a life..

jack123 said:
I'm quite flabbergasted you say about the legality of having an abortion, the way you speak about it, as if it's like a woman going for a haircut or having her nails manicured.

The way I see it, the unborn baby has it's own unique identity, and should have rights..

That said, I can only express my feeling on the subject, and the way I feel, nothing we ever say here will change anything, so with that said, my post is not being put here to cause strife, it's just the way I have always felt, when I was a kid say about 8, the first time I realised about abortions, I felt sick. I don't think I can change.

Absolutely nothing in my post suggests it is anything at all like having a haircut or your nails done.

Abortions are an extremely difficult choice for those who find themselves in that position. But it’s a choice for the people (specifically women) involved, not someone else.

Abortions should be decriminalised. I believe there should be time limit, possibly even slightly lower than it is now, but it is NOT a criminal act.
It’s funny that so many positions taken which talk about ‘rights’ lead to the loss of rights for women. hardly ever for men.

Londonlisa2001 said:
Absolutely nothing in my post suggests it is anything at all like having a haircut or your nails done.

Abortions are an extremely difficult choice for those who find themselves in that position. But it’s a choice for the people (specifically women) involved, not someone else.

Abortions should be decriminalised. I believe there should be time limit, possibly even slightly lower than it is now, but it is NOT a criminal act.
It’s funny that so many positions taken which talk about ‘rights’ lead to the loss of rights for women. hardly ever for men.

Thank you for your post, but I will always disagree with that, I just think a baby has certain rights, be it unborn or not. And also, I don't think it's anything to do with women and their rights, just a matter of what is right, and what is wrong.

IMO it's not the woman's choice, it's the unborn baby's life I am concerned about.

Don't take this wrong way but it's not a woman's right, to kill an unborn baby as if she's having her tonsils out.

The child is unique.

I'm appalled - should have kept her in jail. She took abortion pills at 32-34 weeks by lying to medical staff over the phone that she was 6 weeks pregnant to get the pills through the post and gave birth to a dead baby.

Babies can survive after 26 weeks and over. 26 weeks with issues. 32 weeks is a completely viable and healthy birth. 34 weeks in an even better state.

I'm pro-abortion ( and pro death penalty) and a woman's choice, but not to that level.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back