• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Banning Newspapers

Darran

Roger Freestone
Reaction score
This is an interesting one,I don’t agree.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/city-university-tabloid-ban-sun-mail-express-peak-censorship-a7425156.html?__twitter_impression=true

The author of the article sums it up nicely for me, by restricting debate you feed more extreme views, it is a similar picture with vaccination for example, more informed debate would increase confidence.

Completely idiotic.

These fools are giving their enemies all the ammunition they need.

The right wing newspapers are harmful to our democracy as they give a skewed and bias view, although I would not ban them but I would like secondary school kids to be taught that newspapers have an agenda and what they report and how they report it will usually be skewed to meet that agenda.

Trampie said:
The right wing newspapers are harmful to our democracy as they give a skewed and bias view, although I would not ban them but I would like secondary school kids to be taught that newspapers have an agenda and what they report and how they report it will usually be skewed to meet that agenda.

Agree thinking critically is really important in the information age, there's a similar amount of bias in the Daily Mirror. What's concerning here is a university has chosen to limit the perspectives of students rather than broaden them through debate and discussion. I find this particularly worrying.

Jackmanandboy said:
Trampie said:

Agree thinking critically is really important in the information age, there's a similar amount of bias in the Daily Mirror. What's concerning here is a university has chosen to limit the perspectives of students rather than broaden them through debate and discussion. I find this particularly worrying.
Correct as regards the Mirror but the vast majority of papers in this country are right wing , if the left/right bias amongst newspapers in this country were more or less equally split then it would not be so much of a bad thing but because most are right wing biased then that can skew our democracy unless children/people are educated to be aware that papers and media sources can be biased.

Trampie said:
Jackmanandboy said:
Correct as regards the Mirror but the vast majority of papers in this country are right wing , if the left/right bias amongst newspapers in this country were more or less equally split then it would not be so much of a bad thing but because most are right wing biased then that can skew our democracy unless children/people are educated to be aware that papers and media sources can be biased.

Yes education is the key otherwise we have the prospect of widespread censorship of all kinds leading to polarisation rather than debate and discussion which helps people understand, learn and explore all perspectives.

It's the Student Union banning them rather than the University itself isn't it?

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back