• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

FAO Darran & jack123

BrynCartwright said:
So Cwps...you drive all the way to Aberavon sea-front from Llanelli for a curry, It must be damn good there st Cinnamon. You could have stopped over at Rasoi in Pontlliw mun...

I only call in if I’m passing, it’s an easy detour off the M4.

Not been to Rasoi in years, how is it these days and do they do a Sunday buffet?

BrynCartwright said:
So Cwps...you drive all the way to Aberavon sea-front from Llanelli for a curry, It must be damn good there st Cinnamon. You could have stopped over at Rasoi in Pontlliw mun...

The price difference more than makes up for the petrol!

Cooperman said:
I only call in if I’m passing, it’s an easy detour off the M4.

Not been to Rasoi in years, how is it these days and do they do a Sunday buffet?

To be honest, though I live less than 1 mile away from the place I haven't eaten in Rasoi in years..when I did it was very good, but not cheap....not sure about the buffet...Will get my arse up there soon.

BrynCartwright said:
To be honest, though I live less than 1 mile away from the place I haven't eaten in Rasoi in years..when I did it was very good, but not cheap....not sure about the buffet...Will get my arse up there soon.

Right'o Bryn. Haul arse up there and report back. We want to see a new post with title of 'FAO Darran, Jack123, Cooperman' and with content of curry photo and assessment using a score of 1-10. :lol:

If you give it 8 or above then I will be calling in.

When Mrs L and I are staying in Swansea which is quite often now, because we are based in the marina we use Panshee. I know it had a bad inspection a little while back but we revisited a couple of weeks ago and had a good curry. I think the Rasoi in the marina has had its day, last time we went was a couple of years back and the butter chicken was decidedly poor.
Any recommendations for other curry places in town?

legoman said:
When Mrs L and I are staying in Swansea which is quite often now, because we are based in the marina we use Panshee. I know it had a bad inspection a little while back but we revisited a couple of weeks ago and had a good curry. I think the Rasoi in the marina has had its day, last time we went was a couple of years back and the butter chicken was decidedly poor.

The fact you eat a butter chicken curry means you're 4/10 on the curry aficionado scale IMO

"The fact you eat a butter chicken curry means you're 4/10 on the curry aficionado scale IMO"

I beg to disagree. I find the Rasoi menu limited to the extent that was all I fancied the look of! Having said that I'm not one of these "give me the hottest you got butt, cos I'm Billy big bollox" and I have tried phaal in Brick Lane. I'm a bhuna/dopiaza/biryani type of chap!

legoman said:
Skippyjack said:
I beg to disagree. I find the Rasoi menu limited to the extent that was all I fancied the look of! Having said that I'm not one of these "give me the hottest you got butt, cos I'm Billy big bollox" and I have tried phaal in Brick Lane. I'm a bhuna/dopiaza/biryani type of chap!

Korma, Masala, Butter Chicken are the devils work.. I don't mind a bhuna, dopiaza and biryani.. they're actual curries you can eat!

legoman said:

I agree about Rasoi marina; they went too far down the authentic route and serving dishes in the style that you find in India. Give me a British style Indian over a local style dish any day of the week.

Genuine question as I don't know the answer - are the two Rasoi restaurants part of the same enterprise and if so is the menu the same? If yes then I probably won't be going for a curry with Bryn.

Cooperman said:
I agree about Rasoi marina; they went too far down the authentic route and serving dishes in the style that you find in India. Give me a British style Indian over a local style dish any day of the week.

Genuine question as I don't know the answer - are the two Rasoi restaurants part of the same enterprise and if so is the menu the same? If yes then I probably won't be going for a curry with Bryn.

Yes, the same family, they also have a food truck in singleton when singleton has a food festival, it's expensive though

Cooperman said:

Also the Rasoi Marina portions were on the skimpy side

Skippyjack said:

Korma, Masala, Butter Chicken are the devils work.. I don't mind a bhuna, dopiaza and biryani.. they're actual curries you can eat!
[/quote]

Agree with you there skip. As Smithy said a korma isn't even a curry. The Spice Tailor butter chicken is excellent for a quick home curry fix though and I guess you could always spice it up a bit. This is making me want to revisit the Al's Kitchen recipes on YouTube (fun fact he lives round the corner from me in Eden Park).

But I wonder how authentic the hot curries are that are served up in British Indian restaurants? Who's been to India and sampled the true local dishes? I haven't.

legoman said:
Agree with you there skip. As Smithy said a korma isn't even a curry. The Spice Tailor butter chicken is excellent for a quick home curry fix though and I guess you could always spice it up a bit. This is making me want to revisit the Al's Kitchen recipes on YouTube (fun fact he lives round the corner from me in Eden Park).

But I wonder how authentic the hot curries are that are served up in British Indian restaurants? Who's been to India and sampled the true local dishes? I haven't.

Shout out for the Spice Tailor. I'm still yet to get my hands on the Chettinad dish, but the butter chicken is about the best our there and I normally add some chilli flakes for a little extra heat. Perfectly acceptable on a Tuesday night.

Have not come across much in excess of Jalfrezi heat in India, the chillis are used as much for garnish as they are an ingredient. I have been to Chennai and Mumbai several times but not yet up north. This changes late August as I am going to Delhi for a week and my work chums tell me to expect a different culinary experience to what has been had down south.

MIDDLESBROUGH v SWANSEA CITY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back