• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

FAO Monny and Pego

• Thread starter Darran
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 61
  • Views: Views 4,511
Pegojack said:
I tend to agree with you, Monny, his voice is the soundtrack of my youth.
However, Steve Howe is still worth seeing, he's a fantastic guitarist.

That's true. He can't sing a note which is a shame. I must be one of the few people that liked his first solo album. Getting used to his voice was like getting used to drinking albright. There was a song on there called Australia I think (haven't listened to it since the 70s or 80s) that sometimes gave me toothache.

Oh God, I just had to do it. It's 100 times worse than I remembered. Just as well he can play guitar 🤣🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VFZsVyPPcI&list=OLAK5uy_m1CN9XaN_r6Kg46VO2t-bhQz6fclcPOuw&index=2&ab_channel=SteveHowe-Topic

legoman said:
I recently rediscovered the 1971 Yes cover of Simon and Garfunkel's "America" and had forgotten just how spectacularly good it is.

I used to have that on a sampler album called the "New Age of Atlantic" and at that time, it wasn't available anywhere else.

NewAgeOfAtlantic.jpg

karnataka said:
I used to have that on a sampler album called the "New Age of Atlantic" and at that time, it wasn't available anywhere else.

NewAgeOfAtlantic.jpg

I've been listening to the 2003 remaster of Fragile on Spotify where the track is included. I've recently recommissioned my hifi and added a Bluetooth adapter and the results are stunning

J_B said:
This was the album with America on released in 1975 that I still have. It was a retrospective of the first two albums (Yes and Time and a word) with America as well which wasn't on either album.

Yesterdays_front_cover.jpg

I always thought it was strange that Atlantic chose to release the epic 10 minute version of America on a low-budget sampler album in 1972 after the success of The Yes Album and Fragile but I guess they had the rights to the track so chose to include it in an attempt to boost sales. A severely edited 7" single featuring a 4min version of the song was released in a lot of countries but I don't think the UK was one of them. It next appeared on the Yesterdays compilation in 1975 and has subsequently been included in several other compilations before being added to the CD reissue of Fragile.

karnataka said:
I always thought it was strange that Atlantic chose to release the epic 10 minute version of America on a low-budget sampler album in 1972 after the success of The Yes Album and Fragile but I guess they had the rights to the track so chose to include it in an attempt to boost sales. A severely edited 7" single featuring a 4min version of the song was released in a lot of countries but I don't think the UK was one of them. It next appeared on the Yesterdays compilation in 1975 and has subsequently been included in several other compilations before being added to the CD reissue of Fragile.

The Fragile version is the shorter one isn't it? Although not the very short one, if there was a 4 minute one. The full version has Howe whanging on for much too long imo. I still have Yesterdays, Yessongs, Time and a word, Yes on vinyl in addition to all the studio albums from The Yes Album through to 90125. I just no longer have a turntable to play them on 🤣.

monmouth said:
The Fragile version is the shorter one isn't it? Although not the very short one, if there was a 4 minute one. The full version has Howe whanging on for much too long imo. I still have Yesterdays, Yessongs, Time and a word, Yes on vinyl in addition to all the studio albums from The Yes Album through to 90125. I just no longer have a turntable to play them on 🤣.

I have the first issue CD of Fragile without America but according to Wiki, the version on the 2003 CD reissue of Fragile is 10.33 so definitely the long version from the original release on the sampler album.

There definitely was a 4.06 edit version on a 7" single but perhaps more interesting at the time was the B-side which was the Total Mass Retain section from Close to the Edge which hadn't even been released when that single came out. I'd be very surprised if Yes were happy with what Atlantic were doing with their recordings in the USA and elsewhere in 1972! :shock: :)

NS01MjA1LmpwZWc.jpeg

It got a very good review in some prog rock magazine article I read online today. I don't know if it was a puff piece or a genuine review, but it's made me want to hear it.

Had a great Italian holiday despite Yes concert being cancelled. It was great staying two nights in Montalbano's house in Punta Secca, with tourists milling around on the beach below the terrace and taking photos of us as we quaffed a glass of wine. Proper film star stuff!
We went to Scicli where they film the police station scenes in the town hall, and did the tour. Only 6€ and we literally had the place to ourselves. Spent ages in the police station foyer, Montalbano's office and his bosses office (which in reality is upstairs) taking photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20230517_103812.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 365

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members