• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

FAO Monny and Pego

• Thread starter Darran
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 61
  • Views: Views 4,511
jacktar said:
I was there.
Can't say I remember a lot about it but as I recall I thought Hawkwind were the standout band.

I was still into singing Bill and Ben songs then.

I have a couple of Steve Howe solo albums and find them a bit meh. A wonderful guitarist with Yes, but…

I have a couple of Steve Howe solo albums and find them a bit meh. A wonderful guitarist with Yes, but…
His voice made my ears bleed. “Doors of sleep” and “Australia” could make Bryn’s garage door cry.

I think he got someone else to sing on later LPs, not that I was ever buying any to find out after that. None of the solo albums were worth much imo. Jon and Vangelis came closest but a bit too sickly sweet.

I'm forced to agree with Mutey. These solo album efforts never seem to hit the mark, do they? Although Rick Wakeman's effort with the Six Wives of Henry VIII wasn't bad.

Last edited:
I'm forced to agree with Mutey. These solo album efforts never seem to hit the mark, do they? Although Rick Wakeman's effort with the Six Wives of Henry VIii wasn't bad.
🤣 I'd actually forgotten about Wakeman's efforts. I was distracted by the early horrors of Steve Howe. Rick did some very good stuff. SIx wives, also Arthur (the election toon), a lot of Criminal Record, White Rock and a beautiful improvisation piece called Sea Horses.

I'm forced to agree with Mutey. These solo album efforts never seem to hit the mark, do they? Although Rick Wakeman's effort with the Six Wives of Henry VIii wasn't bad.
I think Partick Moraz's 1976 solo album "The Story of I" is one of the best albums ever made. It's a very complex and intense album encompassing many styles and features many top jazz-rock musicians as well as seemingly dozens of Brazilian percussionists and I still listen to it regularly nearly 50 years later.

I think Partick Moraz's 1976 solo album "The Story of I" is one of the best albums ever made. It's a very complex and intense album encompassing many styles and features many top jazz-rock musicians as well as seemingly dozens of Brazilian percussionists and I still listen to it regularly nearly 50 years later.
I'll have to have a listen, Dave, and see what I think. I still scour the internet for pieces of prog rock which I never noticed back in the day, but it's slim pickings. I recently downloaded 'Ashes Are Burning' by Renaissance because it was recommended as their best album by enthusiasts, but I have found it a bit meh.
I'm going through an electric blues phase at the minute. The car sound system is reverberating to Watermelon Slim, Johnny Winter, Mike Zeto, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Johnnie Williams Blues Band. Great stuff.

I'll have to have a listen, Dave, and see what I think. I still scour the internet for pieces of prog rock which I never noticed back in the day, but it's slim pickings. I recently downloaded 'Ashes Are Burning' by Renaissance because it was recommended as their best album by enthusiasts, but I have found it a bit meh.
I'm going through an electric blues phase at the minute. The car sound system is reverberating to Watermelon Slim, Johnny Winter, Mike Zeto, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Johnnie Williams Blues Band. Great stuff.
Try Porcupine Tree. In Absentia and Deadwing are good albums to start with.

I think "A Song for All Seasons" is the best Renaissance album, especially the very dramatic 11 minute title track, but I probably wouldn't have recommended them to you anyway! And on second thoughts, as much as I love the Moraz album, I think you'd probably prefer something a bit more guitary so thought of Mostly Autumn who are probably about as close to proper prog as anyone else nowadays and who I've seen live more times than any other band during the last 20 years so try this and if you like it, I'll put a compilation of tracks from the 20 or so CDs I have by them in a folder and email you a Dropbox link.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back