• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

First Drink For 3 weeks

Cooperman said:
‘We’ are the same, Monny.

My wife can sleep through most things and has the ability to sleep until 10 or 11am at weekends. I am at the complete opposite end of scale, almost certainly awake by 6am regardless of what time I went to bed the night before, and when it’s worst case I can be awake all night and be up watching TV two or three times. Alcohol doesn’t seem to influence any of this to be honest.

Ok, you say Coops alcohol doesn't seem to influence any of your sleep patterns?

My question is, if you abstain from alcohol altogether for a few weeks does your sleep pattern improve? It's somewhat reparable for me..

Like when you are drinking, 5 hours seems the norm, bed at 3 up at 8 or before for work..

Cooperman said:
‘We’ are the same, Monny.

My wife can sleep through most things and has the ability to sleep until 10 or 11am at weekends. I am at the complete opposite end of scale, almost certainly awake by 6am regardless of what time I went to bed the night before, and when it’s worst case I can be awake all night and be up watching TV two or three times. Alcohol doesn’t seem to influence any of this to be honest.

Mrs C’s sleeping is her superpower. She sleeps for hours during the day and night. It makes me so jealous.

Like lots of posters, my sleep pattern has got worse as I’ve got older. I’ve always been an owl and would sleep like a log when I eventually go to bed and would lie in no problem, these days I’m usually still awake at 1 and back awake around 6.30. Do find that after a run of poor sleeps my memory and concentration suffers. I’ve worked shifts most of my life so found getting sleep patterns difficult. My Mrs is usually in bed by 9.30 and will Kip through until about 7.30 🤬.

Years ago I’d go out over the weekend, get drunk have a great Kip and be back on it the next day. These days I hardly drink, I’ve had 2 bottles of beer and 1 small glass of Asti Martini in 3 weeks - I do enjoy an ale but as I’ve got older my intake has decreased significantly. If I go away next month I will drink most days, but it will be in moderation. I’m

Alcohol is a nervous system depressant that induces relaxation and sleepiness but it affects everyone differently. Alcohol may help you fall asleep, but it is likely to disrupt the sleep cycle and decrease overall sleep quality.Long-term alcohol use can result in insomnia and other chronic sleep problems.

Jack 123, lots of people ended up drinking excessively during Covid, it’s a major issue but there are places you can get help f you need it.

Alcohol withdrawal is a serious medical problem - in fact it can be life threatening.

MajorR said:
Like lots of posters, my sleep pattern has got worse as I’ve got older. I’ve always been an owl and would sleep like a log when I eventually go to bed and would lie in no problem, these days I’m usually still awake at 1 and back awake around 6.30. Do find that after a run of poor sleeps my memory and concentration suffers. I’ve worked shifts most of my life so found getting sleep patterns difficult. My Mrs is usually in bed by 9.30 and will Kip through until about 7.30 🤬.

Years ago I’d go out over the weekend, get drunk have a great Kip and be back on it the next day. These days I hardly drink, I’ve had 2 bottles of beer and 1 small glass of Asti Martini in 3 weeks - I do enjoy an ale but as I’ve got older my intake has decreased significantly. If I go away next month I will drink most days, but it will be in moderation. I’m

Alcohol is a nervous system depressant that induces relaxation and sleepiness but it affects everyone differently. Alcohol may help you fall asleep, but it is likely to disrupt the sleep cycle and decrease overall sleep quality.Long-term alcohol use can result in insomnia and other chronic sleep problems.

Jack 123, lots of people ended up drinking excessively during Covid, it’s a major issue but there are places you can get help f you need it.

Alcohol withdrawal is a serious medical problem - in fact it can be life threatening.

Thank you Major, what I am saying is, I honestly expected problems, when I decided to knock it on the head for a few weeks but nothing happened. I was drinking too excess, and too be honest I most prob still am tonight, like I will be pissed when I go to bed, but I am slowly getting away from it, nothing good seems to happen when drinking, Bit gutted with myself, I actually got beer yesterday, I know for a fact, I'm not the kind of person who can just drink 4 cans of beer on one night, and say ooo that's refreshing. I just end up binging, and getting smashed out of my brains.

jed said:
I hardly drink at all these days but it doesn't take much to mess up my sleep. Any more than 4 beers in a night and I can tell I had bad sleep and feeling groggy the next morning but even 1 or 2 makes my sleep quality go to s**t according to my Garmin tracker. Not to the point of feeling any kind of hangover symptoms, but always feel like I have less energy, especially in the later afternoon.

Going back a few years, I'd often have a skinfull at least one weekend day and then wake up late the next day but as I got older, that waking up late started giving me a kind of depressed feeling that I'd missed out on a big part of a day that I should have been enjoying. Mentally that set me up to have a shitty start to the week. This only started when I got to mid-30’s I think, didn’t care less when younger.

Good man Jed, i think my excessive amounts of Stella tonight, will ferk me right up. Even if I had 4 beers, it would still muck me right up.

Not sure if the alcohol and drink link is relevant here , but age wise for me now means my sleeping is awful .

Probably the fact that 40 years on shifts , nights included , has messed up my body clock , still struggle to sleep .

As mentioned earlier , still awake at 4 am many nights , thankfully I am at a stage where medication and GP advice is now not seeked , to me a minor inconvenience .

Insomnia to others must be a real issue unfortunately .

Someone gave my wife a gift of a bottle of espresso martini. This presented her with a problem . Drinking it in the evening likely meant a caffeine-heavy night of ruined sleep. Whereas drinking it in the morning felt a bit off.

So, to help her out, I drank it. I've been wide awake since 1am.

jack123 said:
Ok, you say Coops alcohol doesn't seem to influence any of your sleep patterns?

My question is, if you abstain from alcohol altogether for a few weeks does your sleep pattern improve? It's somewhat reparable for me..

Like when you are drinking, 5 hours seems the norm, bed at 3 up at 8 or before for work..

I rarely get to the stage where I haven’t had a drink for a few weeks. Did dry January a few times and didn’t notice anything particular then. As a rule of thumb I don’t drink Sunday to Thursday inclusive and will only break that if there is a work or social event going on.

exiledclaseboy said:
Mrs C’s sleeping is her superpower. She sleeps for hours during the day and night. It makes me so jealous.

I get that same pang of jealousy.

Here I am up at 6am on a Sunday, flat out wide awake, already had a cup of tea, already done Wordle, and knowing that it could be another 4-5 hours before the other half surfaces.

Cooperman said:
I get that same pang of jealousy.

Here I am up at 6am on a Sunday, flat out wide awake, already had a cup of tea, already done Wordle, and knowing that it could be another 4-5 hours before the other half surfaces.

You need to click on those 3 lines top left and start doing the connections. Today is not a good one to start on. I failed miserably.

jack123 said:
Thanks, have you ever tried say a month off the booze? I did it last year as well February I think it was, and the sleep pattern was the same.

This time it sort of kicked in, on the start of the third week, so I would say 14 days no alcohol, then bed before 12, up before 7.. I mean you are just awake.. Well more or less awake at 5.45 am :D

See what you wrote there, I find that appalling to read. Like it’s some achievement.

One of the things I hate most about this country is peoples obsession with drinking alcohol. Drink when happy, drink when sad, drink to forget, drink to remember, drink to relax etc etc. and when a regular drinker then has the audacity to have a go at people that use drugs, that puts the cherry on top for me.

None of that is aimed specifically at you mind.

Neath_Jack said:
See what you wrote there, I find that appalling to read. Like it’s some achievement.

One of the things I hate most about this country is peoples obsession with drinking alcohol. Drink when happy, drink when sad, drink to forget, drink to remember, drink to relax etc etc. and when a regular drinker then has the audacity to have a go at people that use drugs, that puts the cherry on top for me.

None of that is aimed specifically at you mind.

Well, I think it is some achievement, if someone knocks on the head something that they know is detrimental to them, be it drinking, gambling, eating junk food to lose weight.

In fact why wouldn't it be?

Take for example someone who is obese giving up eating junk food, it may not seem like a lot to me or you, but for the individual concerned, it's an achievement. Take for example a fella doing all his money gambling every week, him having a month off is an achievement.

jack123 said:
Well, I think it is some achievement, if someone knocks on the head something that they know is detrimental to them, be it drinking, gambling, eating junk food to lose weight.

In fact why wouldn't it be?

Take for example someone who is obese giving up eating junk food, it may not seem like a lot to me or you, but for the individual concerned, it's an achievement. Take for example a fella doing all his money gambling every week, him having a month off is an achievement.

You are talking about addiction / alcoholism, I wasn’t.

I think anyone showing the willpower to knock anything on the head where there is a dependancy is a great achievement, but this should only be the beginning and not back to square one after that period is over.

This is the reason I'm not a fan of these dry months I see on Facebook, or fad diets where people lose a massive amount of weight only to put it all back on in the same amount of time afterwards.

If anyone can show the willpower to abstain for a period, try to use that same willpower to move into a stage of moderation and stay there for good. There is nothing wrong with drinking like a fish now and again, 5,000 calories a day occassionally or doing the odd bet. When control of these things are lost is when quality of life starts to suffer.

I don't mean to preach or anything but wish I'd been able to think like this when I was a lot younger and a complete waster! :)

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back