• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

First Drink For 3 weeks

jack123 said:
That's something I've never really tried cocaine that is, I did partake in cannabis offerings many years ago mind. And I was thinking of getting some, just for aphrodisiac purposes, but it seems everyone is smoking skunk these days, which can be smelt a bloody mile off, so for that reason, I have not bothered.

Perhaps veering off topic a bit here but I just don't get people who buy pills and powders in a club in the dark and not know what's in it. Alcohol may indeed be a drug of equal potential damage but at least you know where it's come from.

legoman said:
Perhaps veering off topic a bit here but I just don't get people who buy pills and powders in a club in the dark and not know what's in it. Alcohol may indeed be a drug of equal potential damage but at least you know where it's come from.

Of course, back around 92, I bought some so called speed in Barons off Dullas from Port Tennant, ferk knows what it was, but I know the glue sniffing terwaat ripped me off.

Alcohol is an insidious little bastard, it can creep up on you even if you think it’s under control, you’ve got to constantly keep an eye on it, some more than others.

I count myself very fortunate. Other than a period in my early 20s when it was on the cusp of getting out of hand (I think most people can tell a similar tale) I’ve always had a handle on it. I can and have gone several months without touching a drop, for various reasons over the years, doesn’t bother me. At the same time, I do enjoy the taste, and I do enjoy occasionally getting pissed, I think it’s f*cking brilliant fun.

But I’ve seen it grab hold of friends and family in a really bad way, it killed my mother in law, it killed several people on my mother’s side of the family. In the words of a song by the band Eels, “it’s a motherf*cker”. Some people just don’t have control over it, and that’s so sad. It’s a lottery as well, it could be any one of us who fits into that category, you just don’t know until you start. Which is scary really.

Good luck to anyone, dependent or not, who wants to cut down or stop altogether. More power to you, I say.

Andrew - North Hill said:
Alcohol is an insidious little bastard, it can creep up on you even if you think it’s under control, you’ve got to constantly keep an eye on it, some more than others.

I count myself very fortunate. Other than a period in my early 20s when it was on the cusp of getting out of hand (I think most people can tell a similar tale) I’ve always had a handle on it. I can and have gone several months without touching a drop, for various reasons over the years, doesn’t bother me. At the same time, I do enjoy the taste, and I do enjoy occasionally getting pissed, I think it’s f*cking brilliant fun.

But I’ve seen it grab hold of friends and family in a really bad way, it killed my mother in law, it killed several people on my mother’s side of the family. In the words of a song by the band Eels, “it’s a motherf*cker”. Some people just don’t have control over it, and that’s so sad. It’s a lottery as well, it could be any one of us who fits into that category, you just don’t know until you start. Which is scary really.

Good luck to anyone, dependent or not, who wants to cut down or stop altogether. More power to you, I say.

Thank you for sharing this mate, excellent post and wise words 👏

Andrew - North Hill said:

Great post, honest as ferk.. I like it..

exiledclaseboy said:
I agree. But I’m just a terrible sleeper. Always have been.

I am really sorry to hear that, I think there can't be nothing worse than having a poor sleep. I suppose, ebb it's not dong you any favours monitoring the board at nigh time? You should just relax. I promise you, I will not post anything that needs moderating after 9pm so chill out and relax.

Edit, not sure why I said after 9pm :D What I meant was, you will not have to moderate anything at all from me anymore.. You take care mush 4 hours is a crap sleep.. No good

jack123 said:
I am really sorry to hear that, I think there can't be nothing worse than having a poor sleep.

I am having one of those nights. Went to bed at a reasonable time, woke just before 1am, tossed and turned since, sensed I was annoying my wife and here I am. Wordle already done ✅.

Cooperman said:
I am having one of those nights. Went to bed at a reasonable time, woke just before 1am, tossed and turned since, sensed I was annoying my wife and here I am. Wordle already done ✅.

It's a right PIA when this happens, and I find I quickly get stuck in a routine and the more I mither about waking in the night, the more I'm likely to. I try changing my routine e.g. go to bed a bit later, don't have my phone by the bedside or stick on a pair of Bluetooth night-time headphones. I play a Spotify playlist or look up Michael Sealey sleep meditation audio. I set Spotify's sleep timer.

I also try not to stress about not sleeping as I find that in itself keeps me awake

After the misery of "espresso martini Saturday" I slept like a log last night.

Alcohol generally hamlets my sleep. The secret, I've found, is to only drink earlier in the day.

Brief reprise.

A homeless guy died in a Belfast hospital on Thursday. He was sixty, divorced, jobless, his kids shunned him. His drinking had destroyed his family right up until his liver could take no more. Just one more drunk using up valuable medical resources even though everyone knew the ending.

Yet he hadn't always been a drunk. Once he'd been my mate. He was so bright with such a sharp mind, a brilliant sense of humour, and wrote incredible short stories. He had a decent job, a gorgeous wife, two high-achieving sons. And yet he traded it all for drink. I'm at a loss to understand just how the wheels came off so, so badly.

He used to smoke. But then, almost at will, he'd stop. Then he'd decide to start again but only three cigs a day. It's almost as if he played with addiction but could always manage it. Until he couldn't.

RIP Terry. I'll remember you as you were.

Squarebear said:
Brief reprise.

A homeless guy died in a Belfast hospital on Thursday. He was sixty, divorced, jobless, his kids shunned him. His drinking had destroyed his family right up until his liver could take no more. Just one more drunk using up valuable medical resources even though everyone knew the ending.

Yet he hadn't always been a drunk. Once he'd been my mate. He was so bright with such a sharp mind, a brilliant sense of humour, and wrote incredible short stories. He had a decent job, a gorgeous wife, two high-achieving sons. And yet he traded it all for drink. I'm at a loss to understand just how the wheels came off so, so badly.

He used to smoke. But then, almost at will, he'd stop. Then he'd decide to start again but only three cigs a day. It's almost as if he played with addiction but could always manage it. Until he couldn't.

So sorry for the loss of a mate.
My job used to take me into pubs and clubs throughout South Wales and the number of people I knew over the forty years of me visiting these sites that just died from alcohol problems would astound you.
A few family members had problems too, and it caused great upset and health issues. If only there was a simple remedy then lives would not be ruined and/or lost.
I’ve never been a big drinker, obviously had a few nights out where I’d have maybe a couple too many, but I’ve only had one bottle of beer in the last 3 months or so and I’m fine with that.
In moderation alcohol is ok but when it gets to a problem situation it’s difficult to get out of the habit.
Well done to anyone who has managed to change their lives by cutting out/down their issues with alcohol.

Squarebear said:
Brief reprise.

That's a tragic story Squarebear, hope all his family are ok, sorry for your loss. :(

I had a couple of beers last Tuesday, then became unwell with a heavy cold so never had a drink over this weekend and I haven't missed it one bit.

I know it won't last, but the days of having 8/10 or more pints on a Saturday have gone, no more will I be doing that.

Alcohol is a good servant but a terrible master, someone said once. (Or versions of it)

Niigata Jack said:
I had a couple of beers last Tuesday, then became unwell with a heavy cold so never had a drink over this weekend and I haven't missed it one bit.

I know it won't last, but the days of having 8/10 or more pints on a Saturday have gone, no more will I be doing that.

If you’ve got the same cold version we’ve got, then you may well have it for 2 to 3 weeks. Article on it today on WoL too.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back