• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Flu Jab

Fbreath

First Team Player
Reaction score
Will those of you 50 and over be having the flu jab this year.

I’m 58 hate taking any medication so not sure I want to have medication I don’t need.

What are other people’s opinions who are now eligible

Man up fbreath and get the jab. I've been having it for a few years now - nothing to it. Flu is pretty well understood although it's all about predicting which strain is likely to prevail during our flu season. But whatever, get it!

legoman said:
Man up fbreath and get the jab. I've been having it for a few years now - nothing to it. Flu is pretty well understood although it's all about predicting which strain is likely to prevail during our flu season. But whatever, get it!

Had my first ever flu jab last October and will have one every year now going forward 🙂

Get a flu jab you big Jessie! This year it’s more important than ever. The last thing any health service anywhere needs are flu patients adding to the problems of a highly likely second wave of the virus.

Fbreath said:
Will those of you 50 and over be having the flu jab this year.

I’m 58 hate taking any medication so not sure I want to have medication I don’t need.

What are other people’s opinions who are now eligible

Have asthma ( and also over 50). Had the vaccine for a long time. Had flu once (1996ish) which is what makes me amused in people saying COVID-19 is just like flu, as I felt so Ill for weeks. I get a bit of fever, but worth the inconvenience.

Swanjaxs said:
legoman said:

Had my first ever flu jab last October and will have one every year now going forward 🙂
I haven't had one before but I will have one this year and every year from now on too. 👍

Definitely not, I have no underlying health conditions, and this knocking 15 years off the criteria what it was before seems a bit suspect too me!

I have read a few articles in the past where they, too put it politely muck up the flu vaccine, then it will exacerbate the flu virus, so it's definitely a polite NO from me, for the time being anyway.

jack123 said:
Definitely not, I have no underlying health conditions, and this knocking 15 years off the criteria what it was before seems a bit suspect too me!

I have read a few articles in the past where they, too put it politely muck up the flu vaccine, then it will exacerbate the flu virus, so it's definitely a polite NO from me, for the time being anyway.

Sorry. That’s complete rubbish. There are some years the vaccine is less effective . Influenza A is an orthomyxovirus. Like coronaviruses it has an RNA not DNA genome. However, it is a lot more variable. It has two main proteins which an immune response is made to -haemagglutin or H and neuraminadase or N.
There are multiple variants of each which are also used to type the virus e.g. H1N1,
H5N1 etc. Although different types are associated with specific hosts like chickens, pigs or humans, we are affected by a number of variants. Each year virologists have to predict the best combination to work that year. Most of the time they are right. But it’s not a precise science and some years it is less effective than others if they pick the wrong protein or antigen. Even then there
Is some protection. At worst it does nothing.

Vaccination is the best tool against infection.

Professor said:
jack123 said:

Sorry. That’s complete rubbish. There are some years the vaccine is less effective . Influenza A is an orthomyxovirus. Like coronaviruses it has an RNA not DNA genome. However, it is a lot more variable. It has two main proteins which an immune response is made to -haemagglutin or H and neuraminadase or N.
There are multiple variants of each which are also used to type the virus e.g. H1N1,
H5N1 etc. Although different types are associated with specific hosts like chickens, pigs or humans, we are affected by a number of variants. Each year virologists have to predict the best combination to work that year. Most of the time they are right. But it’s not a precise science and some years it is less effective than others if they pick the wrong protein or antigen. Even then there

Well that's what I have read! But fair enough reply, so tell me something why the hell has the age dropped from 65 to 50?

And if you do respond, please speak in laymans terms,

jack123 said:
Professor said:

Well that's what I have read! But fair enough reply, so tell me something why the hell has the age dropped from 65 to 50?

Bit late now. If I have not Replied tomorrow please remind me. It is a bit complex

jack123 said:
Professor said:

It's partly because like covid-19, a proportion of those who get flu will be poorly enough to need hospital treatment and so by protecting a larger percentage of the population you reduce the number who might otherwise need hospital treatment. It's been a balance in the past between the cost and effort of vaccinating the entire population versus the load on the NHS hospitals. Of course this year we have covid-19 to contend with and it seems almost inevitable that we will see an increase in infections in the upcoming winter season.

There was a lad at my school who reckoned he'd designed a car made out of house bricks that had been approved by Ferrari. I sometimes wonder if he has since made his way to Westminster.

Given physical distancing, mask wearing, copious amounts of anti-bac being squirted everywhere we go, the chance of getting influenza seems far less than it usually is.

Given the NHS normally plan their flu jab requirements in Feb of each year, the government's announcement is likely to mean shortages of flu vaccine and loads of oldies missing out and being put at risk.

I dunno what to do. I'd like assurances that we can get hold of sufficient amounts of the vaccine before deciding to have one (one that in truth I don't think is justified. I'm bleeding Peter Pan, me).

Swanjaxs said:
legoman said:

Me too.

I've had it for the last 2 years and it's been great not getting the flu during winter as I always caught it and it was pretty evil, so to avoid it yes I will every year, you get a bit of a dicky feeling for a few days but thats it

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back